E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Roundabouts in Motorways and Carriageways

11-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #1
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d X-Line

Roundabouts in Motorways and Carriageways

I was reading the Motorway Speed Limit Thread and thought of this:

I'm obviously not British, so I haven't grown up using round-a-bouts all of my life. I have been here a couple of years, and I am now used to them, and they make sense in a lot of places, but what popped up in my mind is, what in the heck is the purpose of a friggin roundabout in the middle of a high-speed, high-traffic Motorway or Carriageway???? Why not have on and off ramps? All they seem to do is clogg up traffic.

BMW X5d (Ordered)
2007 335i Coupe (sold)

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spesrf25 View Post

I'm obviously not British, so I haven't grown up using round-a-bouts all of my life. I have been here a couple of years, and I am now used to them, and they make sense in a lot of places, but what popped up in my mind is, what in the heck is the purpose of a friggin roundabout in the middle of a high-speed, high-traffic Motorway or Carriageway???? Why not have on and off ramps? All they seem to do is clogg up traffic.

I dont think i know of any motorway with a roundabout, now dual carraigeways yes, its because dual carraigeways often lead to many many places and there maybe more of them and they go to craz places where as a motorway is one road which goes from one end of somewhere to another!!

you often pull off a motorway ''off ramp'' onto a dual carraigeway which inevitably comes to a roundabout which leads to an A-road to your destination do you agree??

The System seems ok to me, always room for improvement tho.

Carlos
      11-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

The issues are space, the relatively high cost of land in the UK and the cost to construct.

We are a small island and roundabouts are a very land efficient way of dealing with junctions quickly.

Concrete is also much cheaper in other countries (e.g USA), mainly due to supply of materials, so flyovers, ramps and other structures are also cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The issues are space, the relatively high cost of land in the UK and the cost to construct.

We are a small island and roundabouts are a very land efficient way of dealing with junctions quickly.

Concrete is also much cheaper in other countries (e.g USA), mainly due to supply of materials, so flyovers, ramps and other structures are also cheaper.
And a darn sight UGLIER too.
      11-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Yeah .. in contrast many roundabouts give me the horn.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Me too I love the way you can come out of the broadside

Carlos
      11-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
Mike UK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le mans Blau e92

Quote:
sexy curves as well
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
I've now got this image in my mind of NFS standing in the middle of a roundabout practising self-gratification whilst muttering about undertaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike UK View Post
sexy curves as well

Now I'm really worried about some of you lot.

Personally, the roundabouts in full bloom are lovely and there should be nationwide competitions for the most colourful.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:

There are sliproads instead of roundabouts here that do exactly what you're talking about. They are used rather effectively, too. Two examples are the A1(M)/A14(M) at The Alconburys and the A14(M)/M11 at Cambridge. There are quite a few limited interchanges that have no roundabouts involved from one motorway to another (see M1/M18).

I can not imagine the confusion and chaos and carnage that would pile up if they had put a roundabout, magic or not, at the "mixing bowl" at I-95/I-495/I-395 south of Washington, D.C. instead of the flyovers: Springfield Interchange Map. For those not familiar with this interchange, there are three or four lanes northbound, three or four lanes southbound, and two or three segregated lanes for High Occupancy Vehicles (HOV-4) that shift direction; northbound in the morning, southbound in the evening.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Bear in mind, though, there are some interchanges here in the UK that look like they've been imported from the U.S. For example, from ground level, the A1(M)/M18 reminds me of the US101/I-280/I-680 interchange in San Jose, California.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh......now I understand! Now the answer is soo clear.....J/K....lol.

Thanks for the inputs...but I still don't get it. I'm pretty hard to convince or make understand about some things (hard headed).

BMW X5d (Ordered)
2007 335i Coupe (sold)

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #11
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just did a search and from what I found, a big reason for them on daul carriageways is traffic calming. I don't see how causing major back-ups and idling cars instead of smoother traffic flow is beneficial, but at least I can see a reason for it.
Again, I do like roundabouts, and they do make sense in most places, but not during rush hour on a major carriageway.
Thanks again for the info

BMW X5d (Ordered)
2007 335i Coupe (sold)

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
There are sliproads instead of roundabouts here that do exactly what you're talking about. They are used rather effectively, too. Two examples are the A1(M)/A14(M) at The Alconburys and the A14(M)/M11 at Cambridge. There are quite a few limited interchanges that have no roundabouts involved from one motorway to another (see M1/M18).

Bear in mind, though, there are some interchanges here in the UK that look like they've been imported from the U.S. For example, from ground level, the A1(M)/M18 reminds me of the US101/I-280/I-680 interchange in San Jose, California.
I'd agree with that, especially the A1(M)/A14 and A14(M)/M11 (I guess you're "stationed" then?), but what about the A14(W) onto the A14(NW) at Cambridge?

Also, what about the A14/M1/M6 Catthorpe interchange - which muppet decided that we had to sit through god knows how long a set of reoad works to be blessed with that disaster.

Also, which dickhead thought it would be a good idea to connect the M1 to M40 (via Silverstone) with a loverly new dual carriageway that had flippin' roundabouts at either end? Madness.

A50 at M1 J24 - nice long slip road if you get off the M1(S) onto the A50 (which when you think about it is less than likely) but if you're going M1(N) and want the A50 you have to queue at one of the worst roundabouts (for traffic)...

Bah. I give up.
      11-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I just did a search and from what I found, a big reason for them on daul carriageways is traffic calming. I don't see how causing major back-ups and idling cars instead of smoother traffic flow is beneficial, but at least I can see a reason for it.
Again, I do like roundabouts, and they do make sense in most places, but not during rush hour on a major carriageway.
Thanks again for the info
Traffic calming isn't a significant factor to my knowledge. Cost of land and structures (both to construct and maintain) are the key issues.

In the UK major roads are maintained by the highways agency and non trunk roads are maintained by local authority highways departments.

Both bodies would try to limit the extent an quantity of highway structures because they have significant maintenance costs.

Once you have ruled out absolute segregation, then roundabouts gain favour compared to signalised junctions because they improve traffic flows in comparison.
Appreciate 0