Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Realistic notice time on a Canadian ED Car?

2 things in my life are interceding:
- the purchase next spring of an F80
- a trip with the fam-damily to europe.

The plan is to make the trip during specific spring break/easter weeks (for YYC, they will essentially be back to back next year). I've thought a lot about doing an ED at the same time (would save the need to rent wheels), but I am not sure how precisely one can time an ED date. In this case, the trip will be somewhat planned well in advance (dates and flights fixed, exact itinerary in between less so).

If I could be confident knowing well in advance (ie: 6 months) that I can get the car on an exact date, that is good. But if it is (as I suspect) more of a 'should be on that day, plus or minus a few days' that doesnt work.

Any experience/comments?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
2 things in my life are interceding:
- the purchase next spring of an F80
- a trip with the fam-damily to europe.

The plan is to make the trip during specific spring break/easter weeks (for YYC, they will essentially be back to back next year). I've thought a lot about doing an ED at the same time (would save the need to rent wheels), but I am not sure how precisely one can time an ED date. In this case, the trip will be somewhat planned well in advance (dates and flights fixed, exact itinerary in between less so).

If I could be confident knowing well in advance (ie: 6 months) that I can get the car on an exact date, that is good. But if it is (as I suspect) more of a 'should be on that day, plus or minus a few days' that doesnt work.

Any experience/comments?
Your order can be submitted 3-4 months in advance where you will have a confirmation typically within a week of order date. I have never heard of anyone being able to book six months out. The issue becomes the financing and paperwork which has to be completed only at specific times. When you place your initial order the dealer does not run the financing/leasing until 30 days out from your delivery and no sooner than 60 days to lock in rates. If for whatever ever reason there is an issue with paperwork this may cause a problem transportation wise. I would simply say if you are confident there will be no issues with reaching a good deal the best as far as notice is likely 4 months away.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

We vacation in Europe pretty much every summer. I know your dilemma. If you want to use miles and/or secure seats and decent prices you need to be book early, especially for summer. I wouldn't think spring break should be that bad but maybe it is for using miles.

That said, on my euro deliveries I've always booked the plane tickets prior to submitting my orders. I've always received my first or second pickup dates which I always select as consecutive days. It's a gamble but with relative low risk it seems.

It's no difference this time. We got our tickets and are now awaiting the confirmation of pickup date

Last edited by solstice; 04-08-2014 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
FYI, that is exactly what I am doing this summer. Planning for a 4 week trip with the whole family

You can request a specific ED date (even the specific time on that day) as long as you do it sufficiently in advance. I now have a confirmed ED for the 28th of July. I orginally requested the 21st of July, but found much cheaper flights by postponing the trip by one week, BMW accomodated this without issue. I first had to put down a $1000 deposit to secure the dealer allocation and then had to sign a "European Delivery Purchase Order" contract with BMW Canada with the delivery dates and production number.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Excellent - thanks for the responses all.

....now if only Canadian dealers would give an ED discount like south of 49, we'd be on to something here.......
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
....now if only Canadian dealers would give an ED discount like south of 49, we'd be on to something here.......
I agree, however it is not the dealers that are driving this, it is BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent - thanks for the responses all.

Yes agreed, we do get screwed pretty bad up here
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
I agree, however it is not the dealers that are driving this, it is BMW.
Are you sure? How do you know?

(US buyers get the discount, seems odd BMW HQ would be that different across the border...)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Are you sure? How do you know?

(US buyers get the discount, seems odd BMW HQ would be that different across the border...)
Yes, it is odd, but they have never really promoted the program in Canada. Not that many people use it, although they might if there was a 7% discount.

The program is better than it was. Originally, you had to pay the full cost of the car plus a deposit for German VAT if car was not exported from Germany. Then, when car was redelivered to Canada, you had to get it through Customs yourself. Not fun, plus it would take a while to get the VAT deposit back.
Appreciate 0