E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > autologic coding CIC & DME + Power options?

04-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

autologic coding CIC & DME + Power options?

I am going to have access to a auto logic and want to update to 240e and update the CIC SW to the latest version.

Two questions:

1 - what are the procedures to do this w autologic?
2 - what can i use for powering the car since this may take a while?
      04-05-2014, 04:42 AM   #2
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

not an expert...

but I think it goes like this:

1) they must have autologic with the BMW software (so if merc or audi boys, its thousands of pounds to get the BMW addon)
2) whoever you are borrowing the autologic tool from must still be subscribed to the update service from autologic
3) you need to be able to connect via their PC /account to autologic
4) you plug in your car, it collects the info about quite how out of date your car is.
5) you connect to autologic and it will retrieve the updates to the autologic box, depending on connection I guess could be hours and hours of time used
6) get your car on a stable power supply, no idea why many suggest otherwise but a modern charger ought to be OK. Mine uses 3.5 amps with just the door open !
7) plug in and break your car

the guy that did work on mine using autologic basically did step by step phone conversation with support all the way through everytime he did anything and he had years of experience with the tool.... so for a novice and no connection to autologic probably going to go horribly wrong !!!

the thing has very little storage as far as I could work it out. It tries to remember everycar that's been plugged in, but to do anywork on mine he had to delete others first !!! seems a bit naff for a 25k tool

they did CDC, Bluetooth and Digital speedo but didn't even try any updating. later tools have fibre optric connection as well, but these guys had never used it on any car.

If an M3 can't be many toys you had to add on after the event, go to main dealer and do the whole car properly?

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-05-2014 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
not an expert...

but I think it goes like this:

1) they must have autologic with the BMW software (so if merc or audi boys, its thousands of pounds to get the BMW addon)
2) whoever you are borrowing the autologic tool from must still be subscribed to the update service from autologic
3) you need to be able to connect via their PC /account to autologic
4) you plug in your car, it collects the info about quite how out of date your car is.
5) you connect to autologic and it will retrieve the updates to the autologic box, depending on connection I guess could be hours and hours of time used
6) get your car on a stable power supply, no idea why many suggest otherwise but a modern charger ought to be OK. Mine uses 3.5 amps with just the door open !
7) plug in and break your car

the guy that did work on mine using autologic basically did step by step phone conversation with support all the way through everytime he did anything and he had years of experience with the tool.... so for a novice and no connection to autologic probably going to go horribly wrong !!!

the thing has very little storage as far as I could work it out. It tries to remember everycar that's been plugged in, but to do anywork on mine he had to delete others first !!! seems a bit naff for a 25k tool

they did CDC, Bluetooth and Digital speedo but didn't even try any updating. later tools have fibre optric connection as well, but these guys had never used it on any car.

If an M3 can't be many toys you had to add on after the event, go to main dealer and do the whole car properly?
+1 on this. It's been awhile since I've used an Autologic, mainly now that ISTA/D+P and ICOM solutions are available, Autologic doesn't have much value anymore for the BMW world, IMHO.

Basically like BOTUS said, you have to have access to an Autologic online account in order to do anything except diagnostics, pretty much.

In order to flash, you have to scan the car, then connect the Autologic to a computer running the Autologic client software, login to your Autologic account and upload the data. Autologic then prepares all the flash data required, which could take some time, then you download it to the unit and flash the vehicle.

You still need to follow most of the guidelines by BMW for vehicle flashing, like a stable power supply, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

thanks guys. I did the initial scan and it shows that i need updates to the DME (26 mins) and DSC.

I wanted to update the CIC as well, but I was getting errors I could not clear (perhalps cause I did the CCC to CIC upgrade and still using older controller? Not sure.

Anyways if i wanted to upgrade the CIC software any way to get around this? Do I even need the new '11 CIC software if I want to add combox later on?
      04-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
thanks guys. I did the initial scan and it shows that i need updates to the DME (26 mins) and DSC.

I wanted to update the CIC as well, but I was getting errors I could not clear (perhalps cause I did the CCC to CIC upgrade and still using older controller? Not sure.

Anyways if i wanted to upgrade the CIC software any way to get around this? Do I even need the new '11 CIC software if I want to add combox later on?
You can probably get Autologic's tech support to override the errors and force flash the CIC. They probably have a mode or set of options for a CIC retrofit but they probably have to allow it manually instead of through the automated scans.
Appreciate 0