BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Do you feel other driver's treat you differently when driving a Bimmer?

11-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Xeloj
Banned
India
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90, 2006 E60

Garage List
2006 525i  [0.00]
2008 328i  [0.00]
Cool Do you feel other driver's treat you differently when driving a Bimmer?

Let me first say this isn't meant to be a post to toot one's own horn, I'm really trying to figure out if it's just something I've been tripping on or if other's have noticed this.

When I first moved to Southern California this year to take a job after college, I was driving my mom's beat up 2001 Nissan Sentra. I had no money besides the money my company gave me to move down here, so I was pretty much stuck with what my parents could give me until I could get more stable on my feet.

The Sentra had around 90,000 miles on it, and about 140 horse power. I would really struggle to hit 70 miles and people would constantly tail gate me on the freeways down here, and would pass me up aggressively and give me a dirty look.

When I upgraded to my 328i, I noticed that I wouldn't get tail gated, and people would actually allow me to pass to change lanes instead of trying to block me out so I would have to wait till they passed to change lanes. Also some guy on the freeway pulled along side me, and gave me a thumbs up (he was driving an old VW Beatle). It's like the world has honestly changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

really? weird... i notice, my dad says the same thing in his M5, that driving a BMW other drivers treat you like shit. except other BMW drivers, the other day i was at fashion island and there was an older gentleman in a 760li putting things in his trunk and i rolled down my window and said "excuse me sir, are you leaving?" and he responded "well no, i wasn't but that's such a hot car i might consider moving just so you can have it... really, i like that" it was a cool exchange.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

definitely. A huge difference actually, especially because I don't live in a place where they're all that common. I guess bright blue didn't help out either. Other car fans are actually pretty cool, especially now that i'm sporting the TEs, but before, it seemed everyone was out to make things difficulty.

But in all honesty, as much as I HATE to admit this. The reason bmw drivers are notorious for driving like pricks is because they're constantly getting cut of, not let in, and "targetted" on the road. I didn't believe this myself, but even yesterday, I was minding my own business until someone in a pickup truck completely cut me off so I had to hit the brakes, at which point someone decided it'd be cool to hit that gap again. At which point, I got pretty peeved and proceeded to drive like an asshole until I passed them.

Whatever though, I don't make a big deal about it. They're are always people who will be "haters" and people who will have an appreciation for the other nice cars on the road. Its just more noticeable when you're driving the country's primadonna car.

To hit on a point made by imola, I definitely have to agree that the other bmw drivers are the worst, actually. I spend enough time on E90post that i've developed a liking for Z4's and E9xs but I was in the car with a friend with an E92 335i the other day who completely cut off an E90 and made a point to say that it was okay because it was only a 325. What a prick.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 SparkLiN G. 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
BMW drivers vs. BMW drivers good.. but the rest.. let the jealousy begin!!! (Taunting to race with you, old folks shaking their heads at you, keying our cars.. driver or non driver)

|BL|RS|PIAA|CFE|CFMC|SSM|CFG|CFDP|ABG|M6|AFE|MTECH |RPI|JB+|CSLT|KWSC|
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Xeloj
Banned
India
Rep

Garage List
2006 525i  [0.00]
2008 328i  [0.00]
I think here in the U.S, a BMW is has the added benefit of being a prestige badge. I mean, you would never see "Fiddy Cent" rolling with diamond encrusted 22's on a Honda Accord. So that makes it a target for different people.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I've always noticed that ranging back to when I had my 330Ci. I always attributed it to something thinking "that's an expensive car" and they do not want to get into an accident because it would cost them $$$ big time.

On the other hand occasionally I get a few arseholes that don't like to see someone in a nice car for reasons ranging from jealously to low self esteem to God knows what. If I get a dirty look from them I just give them one right back. Their are plenty of people out there who like to shot down others instead of bettering themselves. In my book they are called losers.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

The thing I dont like is I do get treated diferently. There are plenty of nice cars where I live that are way nicer than my 3 series but I still get treted differently. People I notice are really nicer to me when they see my BMW. More people look and when my wife and I and my Son go to some restaurants it seem like everyone wants to help me. I guess they just do this but I dont like how it feels. I wish people would treat me the same no matter what car I drive but people seem to realy go out of their way to be nice or ask me about the car and what is it like to have BMW. This usually happenes with younger kids but I guess they just dont know bettter. Its just proof that if you are percieved to have a lot more money than the average person you really do get treated better which is a real shame to me.

I have been in the situation where I had a shitty car but thats all I could afford. I was not treated as well as I am now that I have a BMW. I think this is a mojor problem for some kids that get a BMW to drive as their first car. They really will not understand what is it like to be on the "other" side. In the end none of this really matter though because the BMW is what I want and the people I dont know really dont matter to me. I dont understand why people have to care about what other think so much. You dont know those people so who cares what they think? Worry about what your friends and family think of you not some schmuck that you have never met.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

I've noticed big differences and I've only owned the car for two weeks. When I had my Sti -- I was being taunted and provoked constantly (funnily enough, mainly by Audi drivers and of course riced out Hondas and Evos) but now I drive in peace and quiet. I get the occasional thumbs up or I get the occasional pick-up driving prick cutting me off
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

honestly, if i get treated any differently, it's more in a negative way... it was the same thing with my lexus as well... i remember some guy in a POS pulled up next to me at a red light, flagged me to role down my window... keeping in mind, i was minding my own business just sitting there at a red light talking on my cell phone... so i roll down window and he says; "hey, can i ask you something?? Do you think you're better than me because you drive a fackin' lexus??" weird... but it's the same thing with the bimmer... i honestly don't think anyone treats me better per say because i drive a bmw, that's just retarded... it's just 3 series...

however, if you want "special" treatment, ride a motorcycle... whenever i get off my R6, walk in somewhere, especially with my helmet, i have noticed i get above and beyond great service, hookups, pleasant attitude and massive flirting... only from the ladies of course...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

It's so strange that in different parts of the country people treat you differently depending on what you're driving. Around here, BMW's are as common as Hondas and I can honestly say that I've never received any special treatment because of the car I'm driving. In fact, I've never had any random person even comment on my car. And I keep it clean!

On the other hand, this is Boston, so we don't pick favorites on who we're jerks to on the road. We give everyone equal opportunity to be cut off, honked at, yelled at, and generally abused!

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
heatfan03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI BMW E90 Black

I definetly feel as though other drivers target me. I get the stare from older people especially (im 17) and its quite annoying really when im not doing anything wrong yet they look at me as though I am. The thing I like though is i find other BMW drivers to always be respectful and yeah I do admit it I treat other BMW drivers better unless they do soemthing that gives us Bimmer Drivers a bad name IE cut someone off or not indicating while doing lane changes. That bugs me alot.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
I don't get treated any differently, but it's always funny seeing some POS flying by at 85-90 in Lane #1 while I'm minding my own business and tooling along in the 2nd lane at 75 mph.

You'd be surprised how many Prius fly and this is not a Carpool Lane either.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post
It's so strange that in different parts of the country people treat you differently depending on what you're driving. Around here, BMW's are as common as Hondas and I can honestly say that I've never received any special treatment because of the car I'm driving. In fact, I've never had any random person even comment on my car. And I keep it clean!

On the other hand, this is Boston, so we don't pick favorites on who we're jerks to on the road. We give everyone equal opportunity to be cut off, honked at, yelled at, and generally abused!
seriously... in LA/OC a 3 series is literally every 5th car you see.... a 3 series will get you WORSE service at any high end place. haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

these are just 3 series.....and its BMW, not Bentley.

However, I totally respect and admire your story from going from a nissan to your own BMW, thats cool

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
seriously... in LA/OC a 3 series is literally every 5th car you see.... a 3 series will get you WORSE service at any high end place. haha.
yea seriously haha. I was watching Beyond Tomorrow on the Discovery Science Channel and they had a segment about how high end car dealers are offering lots of extra services and blah blah.......They said that Newport Beach has more Mercedes-Benz's per capita then any other city or place in the world!!! They even said "yes, you guessed it, then even in Germany"

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
Xeloj
Banned
India
Rep

Garage List
2006 525i  [0.00]
2008 328i  [0.00]
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
They said that Newport Beach has more Mercedes-Benz's per capita then any other city or place in the world!!! They even said "yes, you guessed it, then even in Germany"
I love Newport Beach (girlfriend's parents are from there), but that little factoid gives me a giggle.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeloj View Post
I love Newport Beach (girlfriend's parents are from there), but that little factoid gives me a giggle.
"A bit further to the south is Newport Beach, the Mercedes-Benz capital of the world. There are more Mercedes-Benzes here per person than any place on the planet. The city is also home to the world's largest Mercedes-Benz dealership. This may lead one to assume that this may well be the cosmetic-surgery capital of the world. A quick look around while here may lead some credence to this supposition. If you like to look at the ridiculously wealthy at play, or you are, in fact, ridiculously wealthy, this is the place to be."

It was on the Discovery Science channel, and here it is right here as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A685082

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #18
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Do I give a F*()?.... Nope sure don't. Would'nt give a damn if I was driving a civic either.

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
renegade
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Well let's see, first my baby was keyed with the 'n-word' on the driver side door panel after parking in the mall 1 wk after picking it up from the dealer

I get a couple thumbs up/peace signs thrown my way so that's cool but I've also gotten a couple eyerolls and the stalker stare at red lights - lol... So basically I'm gonna say somewhere in the middle but I don't give a damn what other people think - unless we're specifically talking about cars - to hell with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #20
trickydisco
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
Well let's see, first my baby was keyed with the 'n-word' on the driver side door panel
Wow. That is so incredibly disappointing, and f'd up. Really, nothing
much you can say about stuff like this except that sometimes people
just need to go away and die. Very sorry that this happenned.

Barrington
2006 330i sedan TiAg
1998 Porsche 911 C2S
1969 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #21
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

the people with common sense & class give you respect.

the idiots want to race.
      11-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #22
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
I find a lot of people pull up to my rear quater in the evening. I think they are checking out the cool LED tubes. I know I used to do that before I got the car . I wouldn't say anyone has been more agressive around me. Some people just want a closer look.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0