M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

03-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Does '14 M5 Night Vision have animal detection now?

I just saw a video from Motor Trend where Justin Bell drives an X5 with the windshield blacked out all around LA using the night vision screen only. I saw it had animal detection which my '13 does not. It also beeps when it sees a risk which my '13 M5 also never does. Is this something new? Also is it the same in the '14 M5's or did it not make its way into the newer M5's yet?

I need the animal detection as I'm in a heavily populated deer area. Also would love the beep and notice on the HUD. I thought I was supposed to get a HUD warning at least on my '13 M5 but have yet to see that even though I've tested by approaching pedestrians (friends of mine) rapidly to test.

Here is the video of the Night Vision Challenge. Pretty cool.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Yes it does. I also live in a heavily deer populated area. Its about 90% accurate sometimes big dogs will also show up as deer. its about 50/50 as far as warning time...sometimes you get the warning with enough time to react and others not so much... I think the sensor really needs a wider field of vision to be more accurate, but it does work.
      03-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Surprised they really did that. Those cops should be fired.
      03-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Great! After one year I have a reason already to upgrade to a newer M5!

Does anyone else with a '13 M5 with night vision ever get a warning up on the HUD or a beep with pedestrian detection turned on? The only thing I get is a person highlighted yellow on the LCD screen. No beep. Nothing on the HUD. Without those it is almost worthless since you shouldn't be watching the screen while driving. Wasn't sure if this was by design or a problem with mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod
Great! After one year I have a reason already to upgrade to a newer M5!

Does anyone else with a '13 M5 with night vision ever get a warning up on the HUD or a beep with pedestrian detection turned on? The only thing I get is a person highlighted yellow on the LCD screen. No beep. Nothing on the HUD. Without those it is almost worthless since you shouldn't be watching the screen while driving. Wasn't sure if this was by design or a problem with mine.
Do t know about 23 but my 14 flashes a person In the HUD when they are going to pose a threat to you. For example someone waking owe to you on a side walk about to cross the street. If they are walking away from you it will I my highlight them. It must be calculating the objects CPA( closest point of approach) if it's not a threat it won't bug you with the HUD warning.
      04-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #6
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

<-- have 13 with Night Vision. I get a big red man in the HUD when it thinks you are about to kill the idiot that is walking in the road on an unlit side street in black clothes head to foot.
Appreciate 0