THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery How to: Park Distance Control w/o Rear View Camera

03-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

How to: Park Distance Control w/o Rear View Camera

FYI, I was playing around with the configurator and realized you can get the park distance control without having to get the full driver assistance package for $950.

To do this, just pick the parking assistant option for $500 and that forces you to add park distance control for $0.

I'm undecided if I will update my order to include one of these, but it's good to have an option that costs half the price of the full driver assitance package (plus you'll get the self parker for whatever that's worth to you).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

nice catch... i guess it makes sense... the self parker needs the sensors to know when to stop hehe

the backup camera is nice though.... I would go with the driver asst.. instead of self parker but that's 450 more
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
nice catch... i guess it makes sense... the self parker needs the sensors to know when to stop hehe

the backup camera is nice though.... I would go with the driver asst.. instead of self parker but that's 450 more

I agree. I'd prefer to go with a camera but the steep 950 is what made me order one so far without as I figured I have done just fine without any assistance for every other car I have ever owned (and this will be by far the smallest).

But for half the price, it may be a good compromise that may push me over the edge as a something better than nothing strategy since it'll do pretty much the same task with just the sensors.

I could care less about the self parker even though it is a neat little feature. My gf is terrified of parallel parking to the point where she will hop out of the car and make me do it for her so I guess this would help if she's ever behind the wheel of my car (hope not)!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Darn, wish I'd ordered it now but too late now. My cars production is completed this week. It's a great great safety feature if there are any small children where you live.
      03-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Darn, wish I'd ordered it now but too late now. My cars production is completed this week. It's a great great safety feature if there are any small children where you live.
Agreed. I still have plenty of time to make changes and I think I will go with the 500 option without camera.

I think backup cameras will be mandatory very soon. There is a push going through Congress for that very thing that may require them on all new cars as early as next year. Of course costs will be passed on to the consumer. The push for this was initiated after someone did in fact run over their own child.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Having PDC on my E93 and now back up camera on my X1 there is no comparison. The back up camera will save you from scuffing wheels getting too close to a curb. It's worth the extra money to be able to parallel park or back out of a drive way.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Having PDC on my E93 and now back up camera on my X1 there is no comparison. The back up camera will save you from scuffing wheels getting too close to a curb. It's worth the extra money to be able to parallel park or back out of a drive way.
Totally agree... It's one of those features that you think it might not be worth it at first but you can't live without once you tried it
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Totally agree... It's one of those features that you think it might not be worth it at first but you can't live without once you tried it
I'm with you on this one. But, I haven't tried it yet on the BMW and I have never owned a car with a camera (with exception to the occasional rental car) so I'm still able to still live without it.

I just had my order updated to only include the sensors and park assist. I'll get a laugh out of the park assist once in a while and the sensors will come in handy since I always like to park very close to things to get away from other cars. I find myself opening my door quite a bit when backing up close to a wall on my E90 so I can get as close as possible.

If I was getting an X5 or a much larger car, I wouldn't think twice about the camera. For me, my build was already over 50k and I was trying to keep it in check so I was able to convince myself to go another 500 for the sensors/self park.

Last edited by five3three; 03-18-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

I'm fine with either as an option and happier when we can decide which we want to pay for.

It's really sad that people are too incompetent/complacent to handle all aspects of driving, that we have to manage to the lowest common denominator. Even though this car is heavy, it's small. How fricking hard is it to park one? Granted, my wife wants parking assist on her Cayman...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
I'm fine with either as an option and happier when we can decide which we want to pay for.

It's really sad that people are too incompetent/complacent to handle all aspects of driving, that we have to manage to the lowest common denominator. Even though this car is heavy, it's small. How fricking hard is it to park one? Granted, my wife wants parking assist on her Cayman...

I agree about the options and choosing part. Everything should be a la carte.

For me, I actually enjoy parallel parking and have been doing it for many years in every size car possible. This is probably the most unnecessary car to have park assist on. In fact, it's probably ridiculous. The only reason I went with park assist is since that allowed me to get the park distance control (which I have never had) but figured it was worth it for me for a 3 year lease paying 38% of the depreciation of $500.

So, at $5/month, it will help me park as close as I want to any walls or pillars without having to be very careful and cautious. I literally park within an inch of things to get as far away from all other cars (and still end up with door and fender dings). Not that I have ever had any problems without one, however this will speed up that process.

The full driver assistance package with camera would have cost me $10/month extra than having nothing, but to me that was too much. Everything has a price. My limit was only $5/month.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that people who are buying this small car actually need any of these features, however to some people it's a nice to have. For others though... it's a different story. I was once passenger in a car on the right lane at a stop light where the lady in the center lane cut over right into us to turn right, damaging the entire right side of her FX35 in the process. Her excuse was she looked in her camera and didn't see anybody when she cut over. We had been staring at her the whole time but she didn't even turn her head to look right. That's extreme.

Last edited by five3three; 03-18-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

And this workaround is now dead as of the 2015 models. Adding park assist now forces the full driver assistance package at the regular price as it does with other models. This must have been an oversight for 2014 so happy I took advantage.
Appreciate 0