GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

European delivery and Italy questions

Do I need to bother with getting an international driver's license? I am going to be doing most of my driving in Italy.

Also, I am going to need to park in the heart of Florence for my hotel. The hotel (firenze No 9) has info about how to do it but does anyone have any tips? For instance, can you get upgraded parking where I won't spend every waking moment worrying about my car? Similarly, I'm driving to Venice during this trip and will have to leave my car in a parking garage outside of town. Has anyone done this? Any tips?

Any comments on my itinary?

Itinary:

Day 1 - Munich (Hofbrauhaus after shaking off jet lag)

Day 2 - BMW WELT pick up car and factory tour. Drive to Neuschwanstein Castle and back.

Day 3 - Munich to Florence.

Day 3-7 - Florence with day trips out to some Tuscany towns and a train trip to Rome and back.

Day 7 - Florence to Venice.

Day 7-9 - Venice

Day 9 - Venice to Alba Adriatica

Day 9-11 - Alba Adriatica

Day 11 - Alba Adriatica to Verona

Day 11-12 - Verona

Day 12 - Verona to Munich, drop off car.

Day 13 - Fly home.

Thanks in advance!
      03-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I would recommend an international driving license. I have a European license myself but we always get an international for my wife at AAA.

I've driven to the heart of Florence. No way around it, it's a pain. I didn't park my car though since it was a rental. Any Italian inner city will be challenging. I parked my F10 at the underground parking at the hotel in Verona and it required some skills just to enter and exit on the narrow cobble stone road and then maneuvering that Titanic in the minimal stalls and narrow turns. Be patient and it will be ok.

I didn't park in Venice since once again I had a rental but I parked in parking garages in and outside towns around Lake Garda overnight in my E60 and it was fine, much better than the risks involved with bringing your car into for example Florence historic center.

Not very specific for you but I hope it helps some.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

As I understand it, the only country you are likely to be in that requires an IDL is Austria. However, they are recommended everywhere to deal with language issues. I was once stopped by Police in Italy and they didn't care about IDL but did care about my passport and car registration.

On your itinerary, to each his own, but it is not what I would do with European Delivery. You don't really want a car in most of the places you are going. I like to use ED to visit places more off the beaten track. Parking is a hassle in big European cities. It will probably all work out but get as many details as you can regarding parking in advance from the hotel. Then be prepared to shoehorn your brand new car into a tiny spot. I've almost had to climb out the window in some places.

Also, don't forget to take all the registration documents with you when the car is parked. Big hassle if car is stolen or car is broken into and you don't have original documents.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Went I did my ED in Oct 2011, I did not bother with an international license and suffered no consequences.

Regarding your itinerary for Day 2, you're not going to have time to pick up your car, do a factory tour and drive to Neuschwanstein castle and back. You'll want to be taking your time soaking in the factory and delivery of your car. Spend the full day enjoying that, and grab a nice meal afterwards. You can leave your car at the Welt for free overnight. Head out the next day and take your time going to the castle(s), the drive is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

1. Get a copy of "Rick Steves' Italy," latest edition. Lot's of essential info and he's funny, to boot! Download his cite/city voice tours and take them with you. You'll know and enjoy it so much more.

2. See his version of "Italy's Best Three Week Trip ." Compare his stops to what you're doing. We drove it and loved it.

3. Venice is recommended (leaving your car at the very large garage with a thousand or so other cars no problem), but if I were short on time I'd skip Venice. Too many tourists from as many as 7 or 8 cruise ships arriving on the same day, each with 2 or 3 thousand pax! Instead, opt for Lake Como, Castelrotto or Cinque Terre.

4. In Florence we stayed at the Hotel Davanzati (super place) were they parked our car for us at a local garage for the 3 days we spent there. Not a scratch on that beauty. Walked everywhere. Lots of one way streets so plan your trip into and out of the city carefully.

5. Stopped by police patrol. Wanted passport and that's it. No IDL the whole time.

6. Withdraw cash at ATM carefully. Debit card numbers were somehow read and credit card numbers were also stolen. Had to to terminate both when I got back.

7. Gold? Assisi local jeweler- "Assisi Jewels." Good prices, honest.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:50 AM   #6
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was in Florence last year and stayed in the historic center. Parked the car at Garage Michelangelo on Via Ricasoli, 1/2 block away from the Accademia. I think it was around 30 euros/day (though there was a separate price category for high-end cars 45 euros, I think M3/M4 will be regular pricing ). It's valet parking only so look elsewhere if this is a problem. I had a rental but I wouldn't have worried if it'd been my car because it looked like a well run operation. Since the cars are stored underground and access is by elevator, allow time to get the car. Be aware that they're inside the ZTL (limited traffic zone) so when you see your license plate number at the Welt, email it to them because they will register your plates with the police to avoid fines for driving in the restricted zone. As others have noted, it's tricky driving in there with pedestrian zones and tight quarters so make sure you have a good GPS and/or navigator. Loved Florence but maybe enjoyed Rome a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Some great ideas and tips. Thanks all!

I'll get the IDL anyway. It seemed easy enough to get.

I found a great garage within Florence. Turns out, it's the one nearest my hotel.

http://www.giglioparcheggifirenze.it/index_eng.html
      03-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
Some great ideas and tips. Thanks all!

I'll get the IDL anyway. It seemed easy enough to get.

I found a great garage within Florence. Turns out, it's the one nearest my hotel.

http://www.giglioparcheggifirenze.it/index_eng.html
Ok sidebar!!!! I went to this website you listed above and saw the cars on there...then they showed this...

http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models...ster/overview/

I'm skipping the M3 and getting this!!!! I wish.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Italy requires an international permit. germany does not. definitely get it. its only 30 minutes at AAA anyways.

take the long way down to italy via one of the passes. should be pretty. florence forget that. just stay at a nice agriturismo or villa outside of the town where you can park safely and then take a cab into town.

venice you can call the parking deck and you must reserve a spot on the ground floor. the m4 won't fit up the steep ramps to the higher floors.

i have a nice suggestion for dinner about 30 minutes from florence. beautful drive too in the countryside. pm me and i'll give you details. worlds best steak. fresh. little restaurant on top of a tiny mountain village.

on the way back you can take a quick detour through the dolimites. some amazing roads there too and far less crowded than stelvio.

other things about italy. be prepared for everyone to instigate a race with you. most italian drivers are actually very passionate gear heads but their enthusiasm can be a bit much for the uninitiated. there are also haters out there. just keep your guard up. also blind turns on mountain roads...keep an eye out. they love to pass in the blind on double yellow.

if you download tomtom europe maps buy the speed camera addition. it knows 90% of them. when in doubt just do what the italian plated cars are doing.

in cities like florence you most often will be on cobblestone and sometimes the road narrows down to being not possible for your car to fit. M3/M4 is very big car in italy. i advise in most cities to stay to main road and parking decks at the primary train stations. security is always an issue. leave absolutely nothing in your car. not even spare change.