E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ccc maps question

03-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #1
pfitz911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i

ccc maps question

Hi guys
another questiion. I have the small screen ccc in my 330. I sat on the nav disc and broke it so i thought it could be a good oportunity to upgrade to a large screen cic...pretty expensive.
i also thought about getting another nav disc, but on my previous disc i had sat nav, but no visible maps, just directions spelt out on screen. is this normal? Cause I like to actually look at maps as it directs you
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

A firmware update in may 2005 allows you to use current maps, otherwise they don't work (allegedly).

An update in 03 2007 brought 2d map view.

09 2007 I think is when "MASK 2" came in and had the 8 configurable buttons on the head unit. On my one of these we got CIC controller to work when we updated MASK G2 gateway with files from model year 03 2009 the later controller now has all buttons and scroll working correctly. With this set up the old controller now has NO working features.

I have 2014 map disc in MASK2 Business nav, it doesn't do 3d view, doesn't do 7 digit postcodes, doesn't do speed cameras, which according to sellers on mapping sites all came in for the first time with 2014 maps on the widescreen CCC system

After 2010 LCI update, MASK system had CIC type menus (but with the small screen)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
pfitz911
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your reply mate.
So what do you reckon. How could I get my ccc to do visible maps?
Where could I get a new disc from?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

how many after factory build toys has the car had fitted?

If none great, drive to big BMW dealership and insist (trust me will be a hell of a fight) they upgrade car to latest integration level. This means update whole car computer systems with very latest software available for your car.

I literally just typed this for another post

NOTE: Before any retrofits get car integration updated by main BMW dealer. Other wise will for ever be chasing your tail to get diagnostics to work or subsequent retrofits to go smoothly. Car will go better all for bargain price of 1 hrs labour or 2 if they are crooks. Good luck asking, dealers hate it!!!. But after any retrofits by non BMW workshop BMW can't do it as the list of toys doesn't match what BMW think it should have and it crashes system!!!

Autologic tool will do updates and can work around added toys but takes 9 hrs plus on some cars, if BMW do it should be over in 2 hrs. (1hr of chargeable work, 2hrs of the car taking programming)... but non factory fitted toys tie them in knots. I never found anyone who would try to do any updates with autologic... I have 2 mates with them and they won't and a 3rd wanted 900 quid !!!

Word of warning the earlier the car the harder to get updates done... the more out of date the software and older the parts, more may die taking integration update. Stealership said if ANY modules die during programming they can't give back the car unless any affected (dead) modules are replaced with new. (this could cost you thousands and thousands!!!) along with later retrofit toys this is why they hate trying integration updates... What they really meant if any safety systems or drive train modules die they can't release a dangerous car on the road (even if it still starts).

Still it'll be a good excuse to upgrade to later toys !!! I just went for it and came out the otherside after a nasty scare and they really spent 4hrs labour to do the job (but still charged the 1hr we'd agreed) !!!

And don't forget you can find posts here where cars are out of date so faults can't be diagnosed anymore by dealership tools and they want 250 quid to update the car just to be able to diagnose things...

After this car sat nav might be able to do the later features... (I'm not an expert of firmware updates, not seen on mask or ccc anyone ever mention any other way to do just head unit update). My Aug 2007 car now says May 2008 build on car and nav system after BM had it.

By the way CCC is widescreen, CIC is later high dev widescreen, your's sounds like "business MASK" and its different. Even within these the are old and later revisions.

In fact in MASK 2 there's some form of memory as you can set a destination and take out the nav disc to play CDs.... maybe this is another feature of MASK 2 system vs original MASK ???

Then you need to find a 2014 map. In UK at least 3 people do copies of original discs for next to nothing, but you need to find an Oz map. Search must be loads doing it.

And for one final curved ball.... Japan spec sat nav is different to rest of world and I thought maybe Oz / NZ got this unit ??? or may well have them floating around due to where lots of cheap cars are imported from....

Last edited by BOTUS; 03-15-2014 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
pfitz911
Private First Class
Rep

Good grief!!!
Yes mine is the mask by the sounds of it. I just want to see the bloody map while I'm driving ya know!! Can I not do this with my shitty unit?
Thanks heaps for the great response
Appreciate 0