E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMWhat Rocks- My mini review

03-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

BMWhat Rocks- My mini review

I wanted to let fellow D owners know that I have been very impressed with the latest BMWhat app (v 10.03) and BT hardware.

BMWhat is basically three tools in one:

1) Code scanner with BMW specific code support

2) Torque-like dashboard tool with BMW specific MIB support (see screenshot)

3) Coding tool - no complicated ISTA to learn or outside services to pay

BMWhat runs on any android device.

I used the lite (free) version with my PLX Devices BT interface and could read codes and monitor certain values but couldn't code any modules.

When I contacted the author, they said that certain BT devices are not "fast enough" to code modules in our cars and he recommended their BT adapter for 18 Euros and 10 Euros for shipping.

I got the bluetooth adapter the other day and it works perfect for all functions.

In particular, I really like the coding functions. I was able to code my car in less than 5 mins without any drama. I have spent over $400 in outside coding services because the dealer overwrote my previous coding each time they updated the software in my car.

This feature alone makes the $60 cost worth it.

But of particular interest to D owners are the diesel specific parameters that you can monitor and log. Here is a screenshot of a few selected params:

There are a lot more, but these were of interest.

I have no relationship with the company, but think they make a rockin' product- no complicated coding programs to learn and a portable monitoring tool for a great price.

If you want more info, please let me know.

-Ed
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Warning: not near as much functionality for iphone :-/
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I still can't find the proper "boost" pressure parameter for this app.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
mefferso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Are the parameter units metric only?
      03-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Thanks for posting.

I've been using the Torque app for years and been very pleased with it. But have been watching reviews of this new app for awhile and it looks like it can do some more powerful things than Torque and most of the things the Bavarian Technic tool can do.

For those of you using this tool, are you able to do any "Activations"? I've used the Bavarian tool to turn on the in tank lift pump for flushing/priming the fuel filter during changes so I don't run the HPFP dry (the key in ignition procedure doesn't engage the lift pump on my car, and the only way I could prime the system was for force the lift pump to run using the Bavarian tool).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
taibani, mind giving a bit more detail on the limitations of the app on iOS?

+1 to TDI's activation question.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I know the "regen" activation is there for our DPFs as a parameter. If anything, Parvis can always add any other activations that you might want into the app.

TDIwyse, I'll email him asking about your question.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Iphone ONLY does coding and diagnostics. No real time. Parvis' excuse again is that SOME wifi adapters are not fas enough and SOME early model cars don't support. Nevermind that dash command is doing this without issue.

No activations are available. I think the iOS version is about 2x what it should cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Kjelly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor
taibani, mind giving a bit more detail on the limitations of the app on iOS?

+1 to TDI's activation question.
You cannot monitor parameters on iOS . See email below from the developer.

"Interestingly enough iPhone users have not asked a lot for the parameter function – while Android users have asked for it a long time ago already.

Also there is a limitation on iPhone with certain engines (not just the older ones) since they can only communicate parameters via USB-OBD.

Apple just does not allow/support this USB communication at all.

Since additionally the effort to realize the parameter function is very high, given all this it is just not a high priority - as opposed to all the new functions and codings that are planned.

On the other side many iPhone users have asked for the OBD diagnostics in addition to the BMW specific one. This is the reason why the iPhone app has that function while the Android does not.

Also since Android tablets have come down a lot in price, quite many iPhone users have just gotten such tablets – which in addition has larger screens than iPhone.

Thanks again for your email – I am really sorry that iPhone has this kind of disadvantage – but mostly it’s the missing USB connectivity – which by the way also makes it impossible to communicate to older BMWs !"
      03-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

What is android app cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
About $58. I'm still on the fence about it.

Picked up a galaxy tab so i could use torque and have considered bmwhat again for android (all of my other devices are iOS).

I wish some of the functions were in-app purchases. Maybe a $20 diagnostics app with a $15/model coding addon. I have zero need for the coding as I'm pretty familiar with the standard tools.

Likely I will impulse buy this in the coming week, but then there's the damn adapter.
      03-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefferso View Post
Are the parameter units metric only?
The parameters from by the DDE are in metric, the interface probably just displays what the DDE says, so it would have to have built in conversion to show imperial
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

I purchased a nice Android tablet just for this app.
Dealer code diagnostics, priceless.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
I purchased a nice Android tablet just for this app.
Dealer code diagnostics, priceless.
Are the dealer codes complete? My bavtech tool reads out all the codes but it seems like 25% of the codes it doesn't have the description for. Would be nice if it has all the descriptions
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Are the dealer codes complete? My bavtech tool reads out all the codes but it seems like 25% of the codes it doesn't have the description for. Would be nice if it has all the descriptions
Not sure. Ran it for my friend last Friday who also owns a 335d. I'm assuming these faults are for the #1 and #5 glow plugs:

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

While perhaps a bit pricy, it works and software development is not free. I don't mind supporting a guy if there is use, and one cleared code = paid for itself. I asked about clearing/setting annoying passenger seatbelt chime (it will go off sometimes when my 9lb dog is in the front seat, or my bag is sitting a certain way: very annoying). Next update it was included. How's that for development?

I do wish we got more real time with iOS: sure if your adapter sucks and it doesn't work you can put a caveat out there. My $25 adapter works fine for BMWhat but when I tried it with another app to monitor real time stuff, it would turn my car off . Its likely because the hardware on the $25 adapter is...$25. A $100 adapter seems to do better but I have yet to invest in that.

Should I go JBD post warranty, BMWhat is still less then the cable others sell for same function, so I consider it a win for me.

- b
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post
...I asked about clearing/setting annoying passenger seatbelt chime (it will go off sometimes when my 9lb dog is in the front seat, or my bag is sitting a certain way: very annoying).
- b
Curious for a description of the dog?
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow.. glad to see others are using this app as well.

As others have stated, you cannot do activations like on the Bav Technic tool.

The parameter watching is nice, and I like the fact that BMW specific MIBs are available.

For those of you on the fence about this tool, perhaps the coding part of it will put you over the edge?

For me, I really like the following changes to my coding:
  • Auto unlock of the doors when turning the key off.
  • Having the digital speedo show the actual speed without the correction factor.
  • Not automatically turning on the A/C compressor in entering auto mode.
  • Turn off the annoying seat belt chime on startup.
  • Window and mirror control from keyfob.

Interestingly the tool claims to be able to turn off the correction on the analog dial, but I haven't found that to be the case.

I'll keep looking for the correct boost value. Anything else I can check for someone?

-Ed
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I snapped a picture today of the difference between the analog and digital speed display. I coded the digital display to be the uncorrected true speed value, and the analog speedo to be the factory corrected speed.

The difference is greater at higher speeds.

The BMWhat app gives you the option to turn off the correction factor on the analog speedometer, but it didn't work on my car.

I have sent an email to the authors to see what they say.

-Ed
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #20
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

I stupidly spent money on the iPhone version and WiFi adapter. Then realized what I really wanted was Android version. I bought myself a $29 android phone and am irritated as hell their proprietary WiFi adapter won't work with android app. Just sent off money for f-ing Bluetooth adapter. I wish I didn't like the app so much... it makes the BMS can tool look like a joke. Can't wait to use the android version. Moreover I also think these guys are being quite diligent about updating and improving the product.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
I stupidly spent money on the iPhone version and WiFi adapter. Then realized what I really wanted was Android version. I bought myself a $29 android phone and am irritated as hell their proprietary WiFi adapter won't work with android app. Just sent off money for f-ing Bluetooth adapter. I wish I didn't like the app so much... it makes the BMS can tool look like a joke. Can't wait to use the android version. Moreover I also think these guys are being quite diligent about updating and improving the product.
I just informed the vendor that I am getting a refund for the iOS version which is severely overpriced given its limitations.

I CANNOT recommend the iOS version at its current price point. It is simply (limited) coding and diagnostics (which require emailing him the errors for him to give you all the data). You would be much better off with $100 K+DCAN cable and a laptop, since you can't use the app for anything 'real-time' while driving. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Edit: two thumbs down is a bit extreme - my overall impression is mixed

Last edited by taibanl; 03-11-2014 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Keep in mind Apple charges him more to put the app on the App Store. Google charges less for putting Apps on the Market. Everyone is making money off of someone.
Appreciate 0