E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 consideration

03-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
njman83
335 power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 & 2011 e90 335xi

JB4 consideration

Hey everyone.. so I have looked around on the threads, but this question I couldn't find an answer to. I just purchased a CPO e90 2011 335xi. LOVE the car, but just need some more mmmphh out of it.
So the consideration right now is a JB4 tune chip + the burger tuning intake...
My concern, car just hit 40k miles - its been well maintained, but wondering if its too late to start doing this type of mods, and if not, are there certain things I should keep an eye on?
Also, will this void my maintenance/warranty?

Thanks everyone for your input/experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
#1. It's not too late.
#2. It does not void warranty. My dealer says as long as it doesn't cause issues, you're fine.
#3. Don't look into getting an intake, rather get dp, cp and/or FMIC.
      03-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
njman83
335 power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
#1. It's not too late.
#2. It does not void warranty. My dealer says as long as it doesn't cause issues, you're fine.
#3. Don't look into getting an intake, rather get dp, cp and/or FMIC.
#1 - Awesome
#2 - Great news
#3 - What is CP or FMIC? I am considering DP - but I want mods for now that doesn't require me going to a shop for... a DP i don't think will be something I can do on my own.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Darryl79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by njman83 View Post
#1 - Awesome
#2 - Great news
#3 - What is CP or FMIC? I am considering DP - but I want mods for now that doesn't require me going to a shop for... a DP i don't think will be something I can do on my own.

Thanks!
CP - Chargepipe, this stock part is made out of plastic or a brittle material and has been known to crack under high levels of boost in some cases. Not specially needed, but helps to keep things in check.

FMIC - Front mounted Intercooler. This keeps your induction air temperatures (IAT) low. As you do a lot of WOT or pulls, your car can become heat soak and thereby limits power. They usually come in 5" or 7" variety and the big players are VRSF and Helix just to name a few. This is a very important upgrade and most will recommend you get this first after a tune.

The DP is something you should have a shop do as you have very little space to work on, and in your case, you have an XI model - this poses it's own set of problems. Dropping the subframe and such.
      03-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Just did the downpipe on my xDrive. What a freaking nightmare. I had it on it up on my uncles lift, and it was still a major pain in my ass.

At 40,000 miles, I installed JB4, downpipe, chargepipe, intake, and some misc stuff. Really don't think the intake is necessary.

Edit: start with the JB4. Just do it. It will blow you away.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
njman83
335 power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Just did the downpipe on my xDrive. What a freaking nightmare. I had it on it up on my uncles lift, and it was still a major pain in my ass.

At 40,000 miles, I installed JB4, downpipe, chargepipe, intake, and some misc stuff. Really don't think the intake is necessary.

Edit: start with the JB4. Just do it. It will blow you away.
How big of a difference with the JB4? Did you do stage 1 or 2 (I think there is 2)?

Does an intake ending up costing HP or no?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
It's never too late!!
Ok so first off since you have 40k miles on it you should change the spark plugs.. It's recommend on a stock n55 to be changed every 45k miles, it's covered under warranty but only once you reach around this mileage mark. Also keep in mind once you get the tune (jb4) you'll have to change the spark plugs every 10k miles or so keep that in mind! So I say for now get new spark plugs get the jb4 stage 2 (matching your harness type) leave intake out just for now and go for a cp / fmic.. Although an intake would be useful for higher psi application I think for now those two other parts have a higher priority but once you do go for an intake research and find the one you like best! I've found the bms n55 perfomance intake and the Injen intake to be the best options! But eh idk if it's worth the value as for the warranty most people just remove the jb4 for warranty claims that might be related to jb4 and clear shadow dme codes/ tuner codes . Than go to go!! Or if you're just bringing car in for oil change or any regular work just throw it in map 0 so they don't have a problem with obd port or anything , hope that helps!! Update us
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
njman83
335 power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewe92 View Post
It's never too late!!
Ok so first off since you have 40k miles on it you should change the spark plugs.. It's recommend on a stock n55 to be changed every 45k miles, it's covered under warranty but only once you reach around this mileage mark. Also keep in mind once you get the tune (jb4) you'll have to change the spark plugs every 10k miles or so keep that in mind! So I say for now get new spark plugs get the jb4 stage 2 (matching your harness type) leave intake out just for now and go for a cp / fmic.. Although an intake would be useful for higher psi application I think for now those two other parts have a higher priority but once you do go for an intake research and find the one you like best! I've found the bms n55 perfomance intake and the Injen intake to be the best options! But eh idk if it's worth the value as for the warranty most people just remove the jb4 for warranty claims that might be related to jb4 and clear shadow dme codes/ tuner codes . Than go to go!! Or if you're just bringing car in for oil change or any regular work just throw it in map 0 so they don't have a problem with obd port or anything , hope that helps!! Update us
Got it! I already had ordered the BMS intake for the N55 - I will put that on soon.. also since I will near 45k miles by the summer - I will have the plug change done by BMW maintenance plan and then will install the JB4 stage 2 That'll give me a month or two to budget for it... Excited for it.. Love this car. Still can't believe how powerful this machine is!
I still need to learn how to maneuver around the maintenance plan since I will be extending it at 50K miles, but don't want the JB4 to invalidate the maintenance plan/warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got it! I already had ordered the BMS intake for the N55 - I will put that on soon.. also since I will near 45k miles by the summer - I will have the plug change done by BMW maintenance plan and then will install the JB4 stage 2 That'll give me a month or two to budget for it... Excited for it.. Love this car. Still can't believe how powerful this machine is!
I still need to learn how to maneuver around the maintenance plan since I will be extending it at 50K miles, but don't want the JB4 to invalidate the maintenance plan/warranty.
congrats!! you'll love it and sounds like a good plan get the plugs changed by bmw than throw jb4 in there and extend warranty .. I know what you mean but no worries be friendly with your SA and clear shadow codes/tuner codes before taking it in
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
How big of a difference with the JB4? Did you do stage 1 or 2 (I think there is 2)?

Does an intake ending up costing HP or no?
Sorry for the late response.

I have the JB4 Stage 2 w/ ISO 5.3. There is an immense difference from stock. It feels like you put a shot of nitrous into the thing.

I don't believe that the intake set me back any whp, but I thing the stock box w/ a drop-in filter is free-flowing enough to make the intake unnecessary. It seems to just open up the potential for issues. The noise is nice though.

Summary: stop thinking about it, close your eyes, and pull the trigger on a JB4. You won't regret it. Then, you can go from there and figure out which route you want to take for further modding (and there will be a route; you won't want to stop after that).

Edit: Just saw that you already ordered it haha. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
adamryi
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

BMS Intake with JB4 tune has shown gains of 10 whp and even more in the mid range. The dyno is somewhere on n54tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
nis270r
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewe92 View Post
congrats!! you'll love it and sounds like a good plan get the plugs changed by bmw than throw jb4 in there and extend warranty .. I know what you mean but no worries be friendly with your SA and clear shadow codes/tuner codes before taking it in
+1 on that, i'm going down the same route, but can someone advise on how to clear "shadown codes/tuner codes", guessing you need Bavarian Technic scan tool?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nis270r View Post
+1 on that, i'm going down the same route, but can someone advise on how to clear "shadown codes/tuner codes", guessing you need Bavarian Technic scan tool?
not exactly for me I just use my obd wire (20 bucks ebay)and I use bmwlogger to clear all dme codes/ shadow codes.. than again haven't taken it to dealer yet but I'm sure it does the job
Appreciate 0