Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Apple CarPlay 2016 F8x

This looks very awesome for iphone users. Siri control would be so much better than BMW voice command. Mercedes, Ferrari and Volvo are on board at launch. BMW and other makers in the future. Sucks that M3 won't have this at launch. Bet 2015 C63 will. I'm guessing 2016 M3/M4 might hopefully.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm kind of an iPhone fanboy for sure, but I don't know what this does that you can't already do in BMW's latest and greatest. Access music? Check. Activate Siri? Check. Read texts/emails? Check. What's the attraction?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

When the car is 3 years old the technology will be ancient - need a way to upgrade every couple of years
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastoys View Post
When the car is 3 years old the technology will be ancient - need a way to upgrade every couple of years
I believe that is called "leasing".
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
Pavit
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: Bimmer Beauty

Garage List
As far as I know (need to look for the thread/post), BMW is not among the IOS "in car" partners stating that iDrive provides a better user experience to the user!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavit View Post
As far as I know (need to look for the thread/post), BMW is not among the IOS "in car" partners stating that iDrive provides a better user experience to the user!
this
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavit View Post
BMW Group is listed as a 'future partner'.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Pavit
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: Bimmer Beauty

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
BMW Group is listed as a 'future partner'.
Great then there is hope! ;-)

Last edited by Pavit; 03-04-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
The hope is that this means car manufacturers will move to real, configurable operating system with a degree of standardization, with updates and upgrades can be simply pushed to the car, much like iTunes or Android... (think Tesla here)

THAT's the real big deal behind these systems... not as much the apps. All that the car manufacturers will be left to do is produce the hardware that the software runs on. And that's the future. There's no reason why you should be stuck with whatever BMW gave you at the time the car is released. Within the limits of processing power, you should be able to upgrade your car's OS to whatever is current.

Nor should I be stuck with whatever utilities or apps that BMW has created for me (usually they suck). It should be open to developers to create new systems and software. Think about taking inputs from the various car sensors, plus your phone, cameras, etc. and coming up with really cool apps for performance driving, G-meters, acceleration specs, engine output mappings, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Typical change that could come with LCI.
      03-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

the idrive update to the M3 in 2009 made the 2008 values drop significantly. along with the lci changes the 2009+ M3 holds its value much better than the 08. I'm thinking this announcement may be a precursor to history repeating itself with the F8X cars.
      03-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350
Quote:
The hope is that this means car manufacturers will move to real, configurable operating system with a degree of standardization, with updates and upgrades can be simply pushed to the car, much like iTunes or Android... (think Tesla here)

THAT's the real big deal behind these systems... not as much the apps. All that the car manufacturers will be left to do is produce the hardware that the software runs on. And that's the future. There's no reason why you should be stuck with whatever BMW gave you at the time the car is released. Within the limits of processing power, you should be able to upgrade your car's OS to whatever is current.

Nor should I be stuck with whatever utilities or apps that BMW has created for me (usually they suck). It should be open to developers to create new systems and software. Think about taking inputs from the various car sensors, plus your phone, cameras, etc. and coming up with really cool apps for performance driving, G-meters, acceleration specs, engine output mappings, etc. etc.
At least someone FINALLY fucking gets it. How many posts have I read here, on twitter, on Facebook, etc. That say "I don't want it to become obsolete". Hello?!?!?!? THat is the sole reason for having this app at all!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
That...that video...makes me want to hurt a small rodent

Who in marketing for MB thought, "Hey lets get this really unattractive person with a ponytail to spotlight this new feature. And hey we'll have him sit with his suit jacket still on and buttoned uncomfortably...but here's the kicker, we will show every single function 3-4 times from the most pointless tasks to something sort of useful." - redundancies in the office all around the very next day I am sure
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
BTWoody
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
That...that video...makes me want to hurt a small rodent

Who in marketing for MB thought, "Hey lets get this really unattractive person with a ponytail to spotlight this new feature. And hey we'll have him sit with his suit jacket still on and buttoned uncomfortably...but here's the kicker, we will show every single function 3-4 times from the most pointless tasks to something sort of useful." - redundancies in the office all around the very next day I am sure
Hahaha can see where you're coming from.
Appreciate 0