E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb4 Shifting Fail

03-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
e92stealth
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Premium, Sport, Nav,

Garage List
09 e92 335  [5.50]
Jb4 Shifting Fail

Greetings,

I've had the Jb4 G5 installed in my car for a solid year. Only problem I had during that time was a coil went out, fixed it and the car continued pulling like a monster.

About a month ago, I started hitting a rev limiter time thing, when in drive sport and gunning it around the city. It's almost like it hits a wall and instead of shifting hard into the next gear, it drops back and loses power.

Another coil went out soon after I was having these problems. Coil replaced. A couple days later, after pulling good no issues, bam it happens again when I installed downpipes. Except this time, coil seems to be hanging on because after car shook at stoplight, I took off and it seemed to auto repair itself. Drove around 7 days with no shaking, but a noticeable loss of power and hesitation at WOT or even 1/2 WOT.

So, I bought all new coils and spark plugs. Replaced everything today. Car pulls good again, but it's hitting that wall and I feel it's only a matter of time before this pattern repeats itself.

Have I accidentally triggered a shifting scenario by hitting the wrong buttons inside my Jb4. I don't think it happens when jb4 is off.

Map 2 does it harder than map 5, but both are basically showing the same symptoms.

Anyone know what is going on? No codes are thrown when it happens, so there is nothing to read.

I just ordered the BMS USB cable, so I can't check logs yet.

Is there anything I am missing right now?

//JB4 G5//FORMULA ONE CERAMIC//BMS DROP IN//SPORT//PREMIUM//NAV//PASSPORT MAX//RIP LUX BECAUSE THEY SUCK ASS
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
Its probably not jb4 related. You'll have to wait till you can read the codes until we can give you any advice.
      03-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92stealth View Post
Greetings,

I've had the Jb4 G5 installed in my car for a solid year. Only problem I had during that time was a coil went out, fixed it and the car continued pulling like a monster.

About a month ago, I started hitting a rev limiter time thing, when in drive sport and gunning it around the city. It's almost like it hits a wall and instead of shifting hard into the next gear, it drops back and loses power.

Another coil went out soon after I was having these problems. Coil replaced. A couple days later, after pulling good no issues, bam it happens again when I installed downpipes. Except this time, coil seems to be hanging on because after car shook at stoplight, I took off and it seemed to auto repair itself. Drove around 7 days with no shaking, but a noticeable loss of power and hesitation at WOT or even 1/2 WOT.

So, I bought all new coils and spark plugs. Replaced everything today. Car pulls good again, but it's hitting that wall and I feel it's only a matter of time before this pattern repeats itself.

Have I accidentally triggered a shifting scenario by hitting the wrong buttons inside my Jb4. I don't think it happens when jb4 is off.

Map 2 does it harder than map 5, but both are basically showing the same symptoms.

Anyone know what is going on? No codes are thrown when it happens, so there is nothing to read.

I just ordered the BMS USB cable, so I can't check logs yet.

Is there anything I am missing right now?
Check JB4 when you go to speedo 1 does it show 3 on the tack? If so auto clear is on. ou won't keep codes in that way. Not sure about the shifting thing that is likely TCU related. Do you have the Alpina flash?
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I do not think it is JB4 related. In any case contact Terry he will help you figure it out

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0