E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New here need a lil help

03-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
kjohnson949
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

New here need a lil help

Tried posting a thread earlier. Didn't get any responses. New here don't know what I'm doing yet. Ok to my question. First off im the new proud owner of an 08 e92 335i. After looking around doing my research for a year or so. I came across my car seemed like a great car. Miles seemed ok at 46k and some change. I've had it a few weeks now and couldn't wait to start with the mods. So Friday went to the guys at Eas. Where I got a Bms dci, Macht Schnell 3" cat less dp's to start things off. So over the weekend my service soon light comes on. Checked and all system's where ok. So looks like just routine service. The car has extended warranty to 100k so don't wanna void the warranty. Im a novice on the mechanical side of thing's. So wondering what I should do. I bought the car at carmax. I know lots of you guys have had similar things come up. What's the best decision will they even care. Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it. I'll post up some pics soon.
      03-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Allen@MOTIV
Rep
Drives: 135i

The catless DPs are almost certainly the cause of the CEL. They will trigger cat inefficiency codes and a SES light.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

You will probably need software like JB4, Cobb etc etc to kill the code you are getting since you decided on catless downpipes.

My first suggestion is to call EAS and ask them.

IMO if you are truly worried about not voiding the warranty leave the car stock!

Why would you ask random strangers on a forum board whether or not Carmax or the insurance company that did the underwritting of the warranty would "care" if you modify the car.

We have contract law in this country for a reason.

Read the warranty you bought.

It should have all of the information you need in black and white.

Could you get away with a coverage on a failure after you mod... sure. Will you? Who knows.

Think of the worst possible scenario in your head... failed turbos... bent pistons... shot tranny and ask yourself if you have the money or credit to pay for these things.

If yes mod away and throw caution to the wind.

If not leave your car stock and play it safe.

Last edited by XM_Rocks; 03-03-2014 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
AtlantaDude
Just enjoying my time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i - Sold

BMS makes a fix for that, if you don't want to go with coding.

http://www.burgertuning.com/dpfix.html

Give this a try and your troubles should be gone.

Congrats on the ride btw.

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
AtlantaDude
Just enjoying my time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
Anyway you will probably need software like JB4, Cobb etc etc to kill the code you are getting since you decided on catless downpipes.

My first suggestion is to call EAS and ask them.

IMO if you are truly worried about not voiding the warranty leave the car stock!

Why would you ask random strangers on a forum board whether or not Carmax or the insurance company that underwrote the warranty would "care" if you modify the car.

We have contract law in this country for a reason.

Read the warranty you bought.

It should have all of the information you need in black and white.

Could you get away with a coverage on a failure after you mod... sure. Will you? Who knows.

Think of the worst possible scenario in your head... failed turbos... bent pistons... shot tranny and ask yourself if you have the money or credit to pay for these things.

If yes mod away and throw caution to the wind.

If not leave your car stock and play it safe.

Agreed 100%

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
kjohnson949
Private
Rep

Thanks for the help. It happened at 47, 500 miles. So I was thinking it might actually be needing service. Cause the SES didn't come on right away. Came on a few miles after. What route should I go to correct it? Once again thanks for the help
      03-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

The dp's are most likely the cause but you better find out how lenient that dealership is with mods. Some dealerships will void some parts of your warranty due to mods and some dealerships don't care at all. Do your homework and find out as much as you can before you take your car to them for anything.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
kjohnson949
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the input much appreciated. I know leaving it stock is always the best route and safest. I wasn't planning on going all crazy with the mods. Just a few bolt ons to get a few hp outta it. I'll be going through all my paperwork tonight figuring this all out. Contacted my salesman he's going to also get me some answers. Thought id ask here since I know many here have been through it already.
      03-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
flexinator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Not sure why you bought catless downpipes before a tune. For most of us, the tune is the first buy. I'd buy a Cobb (what I have, so my first pick) or another tune to take advantage of those pipes. The Cobb will also tell you why the engine light is on. Check the classifieds, I've seen Cobb v2s going for 400 or less.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnson949 View Post
Thanks for all the input much appreciated. I know leaving it stock is always the best route and safest. I wasn't planning on going all crazy with the mods. Just a few bolt ons to get a few hp outta it. I'll be going through all my paperwork tonight figuring this all out. Contacted my salesman he's going to also get me some answers. Thought id ask here since I know many here have been through it already.
No.. No... No... No... No..

Don't ask your sales guy.

He can say sure you will be fine but it does not matter.

Text... Contracts... Written word...

He isn't even an employee of the warranty company!

Read my post above... and see below.

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/maxcare/default.html

"MaxCare extended service plans are administered by The Warranty Group®. CarMax is not a party to MaxCare extended service plans."

No car manufacture or reseller warrants a product after they sell it.... Even CPO cars are warranties by 3rd parties.

Carmax sells cars and does not speculate on future claims and losses on warranties. That is too risky for any car company or reseller.

Find your docs or call "The Warranty Group" and ask for a copy of their warranty docs.

If the warranty docs don't have an exclusion for failures due to modification I will eat my hat. The primary objective of any insurance company is to refuse claims.
Appreciate 0