E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Shut-off auto dim mirror?

11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Shut-off auto dim mirror?

Just had my windows tinted yesterday... found it rather hard to see out the rear view mirror when the auto dim feature kicks in. Is there any way I can disable it?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
voerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 530e

Cover the sensor on the back (side you see when driving) of the rear view mirror with black electrical tape.

Lou
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
thw420
Rep
Drives: 335i

Covering the sensor would make it think that it's dark outside and therefore leave the dimming feature on all the time.

I don't know how you could do it besides removing 12v power to the mirror so it doesn't dim.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thw420 View Post
Covering the sensor would make it think that it's dark outside and therefore leave the dimming feature on all the time.

I don't know how you could do it besides removing 12v power to the mirror so it doesn't dim.
cover it up. Removing the power supply will also disable other things like univeral transceiver and compass. Also, disabling the sensor itself will also disable your auto wipers feature (i think).
      11-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
khafner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

mirror sensor

The sensor on the mirror monitors the amount of light hitting the mirror. If no light hits the mirror (sensor) it will not dim. There is another sensor that tells it when it should listen to the mirror dimming sensor. That is the one that turns on the auto headlights at night. The tape over the mirror sensor will keep it from dimming. The computer compares the light going to one to the other to judge how to dimm the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
voerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by thw420 View Post

The facts:

There are two sensors on the mirror. One faces toward the front of the car and is visible if you look through the windshield from outside the car. The other faces the rear of the car and is visible as a small dot on the mirror itself or the mirror frame.

The autodimming activates when the front sensor sees darkness and the rear sensor sees light (i.e. it is dark outside and a car with its headlights on is behind you). Covering the rear sensor, as I recommended, means that the mirror never sees lights behind you and as a result does not dim. Make sure you use black tape so no light gets through to the sensor.

Lou
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Z06M3
///M...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Z06 | 16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voerman View Post
The facts:

There are two sensors on the mirror. One faces toward the front of the car and is visible if you look through the windshield from outside the car. The other faces the rear of the car and is visible as a small dot on the mirror itself or the mirror frame.

The autodimming activates when the front sensor sees darkness and the rear sensor sees light (i.e. it is dark outside and a car with its headlights on is behind you). Covering the rear sensor, as I recommended, means that the mirror never sees lights behind you and as a result does not dim. Make sure you use black tape so no light gets through to the sensor.

Lou
Get a Broadway mirror!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by voerman View Post
The facts:

Lou
Oops, makes sense now. forgot there are two sensors working in tandem. And the thirst sensor in that area is the big black thing that measures the light on the windshield to activate the wipers.