E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Where is this oil leak from?

03-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #1
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: None

Where is this oil leak from?

Have been having oil leaks on my car for a while now. Last weekend I changed the Oil Filter Housing gasket along with the Oil Cooler gasket hoping that would be the end of it... I was wrong.

I am getting oil pooling around this area after every drive;

I pulled off the engine cover to try and trace the oil leak but couldn't find where this particular leak may be coming from. I noticed the PCV check valve/blow-by vent hose connector was not sitting right and was seeping a little oil, so I got a clamp and tightened it down. Put everything back together and started the car and gave it a few revs. Noticed oil in the area in the pictures above again.

The reason I didn't suspect it being the Valve Cover gasket straight away was because it was changed around 6,000 miles ago. That being said, it may be entirely possible that it was not done properly and is leaking from there again but I need to be certain so I can bring it back to the shop to get them to redo it.

Any ideas of where else it may be coming from? I have left the engine cover off so I can check it after every drive in hopes that I can see a trail, but so far no luck, unless I am missing something.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi 6mt

valve cover gasket

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amr_e90 View Post
valve cover gasket
+1, OR VCG + VC. mine was like that it came out the cover was cracked also. towards the back of the block where the cylinder 6 is. very close to the bolt at the end of the cylinder 6 is a common place an old cover getting weak. mine had 65k miles and i noticed it since 60k miles and it got worse after 7 months of driving and finally smell it in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Looks like it is the VCG, hopefully no cracks in the valve cover itself
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Well, had the VCG replaced again last week and cleaned the area. Noticing oil pooling in the same areas still. The only other thing is that it could be the Valve Cover itself may be cracked but the workshop who did the work the second timea round didn't mention anything about it, or just didn't check it. I would've thought that it would be something that is easily noticable?

Will take it back, but am i missing anything else?
Appreciate 0