European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
rottjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m4

Is MSRP the Going Price?

Just wondering, if paying MSRP about the best I'm going to get?
I asked for the loyalty discount and the SA said that he'd check on that. Also, asked for the extended maintenance plan 6yr. 100,000mi. So far neither has been confirmed. So, my question is what's the best I can expect.

I've already put down a deposit, so that my hurt negotiations a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I would wait to negotiate until the car comes in and you're sitting with the sales rep.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
hoffa3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 AW/SO

I highly HIGHLY doubt you will get below the MSRP. if you do not pick it up at msrp some other joe shmoe will pick it up above msrp easily. I did some calling a round due to me possibly wanting ED. Some dealers in California apparently have a 2yr waiting list already.. lol is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3330 View Post
I would wait to negotiate until the car comes in and you're sitting with the sales rep.
Haha and they will say 'pay MSRP minus incentives or Ill find someone else to buy it'.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffa3
I highly HIGHLY doubt you will get below the MSRP. if you do not pick it up at msrp some other joe shmoe will pick it up above msrp easily. I did some calling a round due to me possibly wanting ED. Some dealers in California apparently have a 2yr waiting list already.. lol is that possible?
Let me guess. You called Stevens creek BMW ?
      02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Haha and they will say 'pay MSRP minus incentives or Ill find someone else to buy it'.
Haha yeah. I'm happy with some incentives and a free license plate frame and keychain lol. I was merely pointing out that negotiating now does no good because the dealer is 100% in the upper hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
M Fanatic
Banned
Rep
Drives: An ///M

I have pre-ordered my car about a month ago and have a very good relationship with my CA and I am definitely not paying MSRP. It won't be invoice pricing or close to it, but it will be a bit under MSRP as well. There is no way I'd pay MSRP for any car, I know how manufacturers come up with these numbers, they are inflated way too much. I'd say shop around, there will be many dealerships who don't be as cocky and will be more than happy to give a discount.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottjr View Post
No!

Many customers for this car have bought into a hype and are in a frenzy to close a deal. Lot's of dealers, of course, sense this kind of herd mentality. So, it's no surprise they are saying they want MSRP or better. In their shoes. I'd probably do the same.
Thing you might keep in mind is that not that long ago, BMW was discounting the M3 at 14% off MSRP base. Their is no reason to believe that wont happen again in a couple of years, maybe less. If you're a little impatient, you might want to consider that 14% off the current US base MSRP is about $9,000. You'd be making $4,500 a year just sitting on your hands waiting for the inevitable price drop.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottjr View Post
No!

Many customers for this car have bought into a hype and are in a frenzy to close a deal. Lot's of dealers, of course, sense this kind of herd mentality. So, it's no surprise they are saying they want MSRP or better. In their shoes. I'd probably do the same.
Thing you might keep in mind is that not that long ago, BMW was discounting the M3 at 14% off MSRP base. Their is no reason to believe that wont happen again in a couple of years, maybe less. If you're a little impatient, you might want to consider that 14% off the current US base MSRP is about $9,000. You'd be making $4,500 a year just sitting on your hands waiting for the inevitable price drop.
What dealer was discounting a M3 not so long ago for 14% off MSRP? Dealer invoice from MSRP is 7% no matter how you slice it (before any rebates). At this point, for pricing on the new M3/M4, it's about supply/demand and location. I wouldn't dare charge a client over MSRP as that is offensive but on the same token, don't be offended when a dealer asks for MSRP on a brand new, limited allocated and highly in-demand product lol. The market is going to dictate what these M3/M4's will go for and as of right now, full MSRP is the going rate
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
No!

7% off maybe in a couple years is more accurate. 14% is false, maybe if it's an outgoing body style and they want to move it before year end. But that's even a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
What dealer was discounting a M3 not so long ago for 14% off MSRP? Dealer invoice from MSRP is 7% no matter how you slice it (before any rebates).
I did not say a dealer was discounting at 14%, I said BMW (the company)was discounting at 14% of base MSRP. I know because I got one, 2011, at that discount. Lot's of people did.
Point to be understood here is that while the dealer may only discount to his invoice cost , BMW can discount (give the dealer rebates, reduce the invoice amount to the dealer, etc.,) up to what they, BMW, actually paid to manufacture the car. Which, I believe, is substantially below what the dealer pays,
As you point out, evidently BMW sold me a car for well below the 7% dealer invoice. All I'm trying to tell the OP is - there is a good chance they'll do it again.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
side_swip92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 g35 coupe,2012 e92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Let me guess. You called Stevens creek BMW ?
anything bad about them ?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I did not say a dealer was discounting at 14%, I said BMW (the company)was discounting at 14% of base MSRP. I know because I got one, 2011, at that discount. Lot's of people did.
Point to be understood here is that while the dealer may only discount to his invoice cost , BMW can discount (give the dealer rebates, reduce the invoice amount to the dealer, etc.,) up to what they, BMW, actually paid to manufacture the car. Which, I believe, is substantially below what the dealer pays,
As you point out, evidently BMW sold me a car for well below the 7% dealer invoice. All I'm trying to tell the OP is - there is a good chance they'll do it again.
Im sure you will be able to get a great deal on an f8x after it has been out 4 years. Like a 2011 was the 4th year model when you got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Im sure you will be able to get a great deal on an f8x after it has been out 4 years. Like a 2011 was the 4th year model when you got it.
^exactly. I'm 100% ok with paying the premium to be early adopter. Then on to the next one
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

I negotiated a deal for a $1k off, BUT...I agreed to a .0001 bump on the MF and $100 increase on the $725 acq fee ($825). So really it's not a $1k off, but approx. $600 off ($635.84 to be exact using my fictitious .00130 MF/55% residual 10/36) over the course of the lease term. Still better than nothing and slightly less expensive than paying msrp and no bumps on either the MF or acquisition fee, but I'm use to paying $600 over invoice with no bumps on my leases. I'm second in line at my dealer, and anticipating either a May or June build.

Now if the lease rates are anything like what they were when the F10 M5 debuted two years ago, then I'll be forced to look at something else. I could buy the F80/82, (still offered a $1k off, but I'm sure that would be offset with my trade..."this ain't my first rodeo!") but I rather not be a Beta tester and finance at the same time.

To be honest, I'm a bit torn with "paying to play" for the F80/82 with it just being introduced. I consider myself cheap, and enjoy the "hunt" on incredible lease deals. I was one of the few that lucked out with an 82% residual on a Z435is a few years back. I'm also use to only keeping my Bimmers for two or less years (aside from my wife's beloved X5d), so I'm worried my BMW ADHD might get the better of me with regards to a 3yr lease on an F80/82. Looking into other BMW options, there just doesn't seem to be any viable 2yr options anymore. I would be interested in the M235i, but even that at this point is going for close to msrp due to limited allocations, recently introduced, etc. I'm BMW Fanboy, but there really isn't much else I would be interested in.
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
What is the difference between "BMW" and a dealer? If you're purchasing your car retail, it's coming from a dealer so I understood it as such when you stated "BMW". Regardless, every dealer in the US pays the same amount at invoice to "BMW" for the right to sell the car at their showroom. Then holdback, bonuses, rebates, incentives, AVP, etc will determine how deep a dealer can sell a car behind invoice sometimes but it rarely gets to that point. Sounds like you made out great on your 11' M3
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Is there? Why do you think so? Back in 2011 demand for luxury goods slipped due to the recession. Heavy incentives were sometimes needed to move vehicles.

I don't see the same conditions occurring again soon. Sure, as initial demand dwindles there will be better and better deals. Even invoice-plus deals will probably become possible eventually. But not 14% below MSRP. We aren't seeing selling prices like that today even for BMWs nearing the end of their production run. Furthermore the OP is talking about the going price in today's market. His car is ordered and already scheduled to be built.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #18
M Fanatic
Banned
Rep

Nobody is going to get invoice pricing in this car right now, but there will be dealerships who are giving you under MSRP knowing full well there are a lot of other dealerships asking for MSRP and lots of customers who are not happy with this. I'd say keep looking, they are there trust me
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fanatic View Post
Nobody is going to get invoice pricing in this car right now, but there will be dealerships who are giving you under MSRP knowing full well there are a lot of other dealerships asking for MSRP and lots of customers who are not happy with this. I'd say keep looking, they are there trust me
I noticed you said in another post that you ordered your car last month. I'm curious, when does your CA expect your car to be built? Will you be the first one from the dealership taking delivery?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fanatic View Post
I have pre-ordered my car about a month ago and have a very good relationship with my CA and I am definitely not paying MSRP. It won't be invoice pricing or close to it, but it will be a bit under MSRP as well. There is no way I'd pay MSRP for any car, I know how manufacturers come up with these numbers, they are inflated way too much. I'd say shop around, there will be many dealerships who don't be as cocky and will be more than happy to give a discount.
Proof or lies.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #21
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was late to the party.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
M Fanatic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock View Post
Proof or lies.
Uh? What proof do you want? I'll scan a copy of my contract when I submit the credit app next week after allocations are out. That's good enough?
Appreciate 0