F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > HID Upgrade for F30
proTUNING Freaks

02-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320D

HID Upgrade for F30

Hi guys. I am a new member to this forum. I previously had a 323 with Xenon headlights and I am now the owner of a 320D without Xenon's. ( I got a great deal on a stock car so took advantage of the price). I didn't realise that there would be such a significant difference in range and spread of light. As I do a fair bit of night country driving I would like to know if anyone has upgraded their lights to HID globes. I have asked my BMW dealer and they won't touch it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

are u after just HID's and not the bi-xenons with the angel eyes?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Hi JBH320,

Congrats on your new purchase!
There is a massive difference in headlight setup between halogen reflector based headlamp and a self levelling, projector based bixenon headlamp with washers. The headlamp housings are completely different and one shouldn't put Xenon globes into a halogen reflector housing as these aren't designed for the extra light.

Normally people still pursue this path and the light that comes out of a halogen headlamp running xenon globes/ballast combo is dangerous. The beam is thrown everywhere and isn't focused like a projector housing designed for HID. Oncoming traffic gets blinded, and the driver doesn't really see a vast improvement either.

If you want the spread and range you really need to retrofit HID projectors, self levelling motors, washers etc to get it working correctly and giving you the benefits you're looking for. Unfortunately this is often a costly exercise and I doubt a dealership will be willing to undertake this (as this is something straight from factory). You're looking at DIY or take it to a reputable shop to undertake this. I also know of a few US members members getting theirs done from a thrid party who could also customize turn signals etc, but they still had no washer setup (which I think is required here in AU)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Yes I was just after HID's. I understand that the cost of angel eyes here in Australia is very high.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
Hi JBH320,

There is a massive difference in headlight setup between halogen reflector based headlamp and a self levelling, projector based bixenon headlamp with washers. The headlamp housings are completely different and one shouldn't put Xenon globes into a halogen reflector housing as these aren't designed for the extra light.

Normally people still pursue this path and the light that comes out of a halogen headlamp running xenon globes/ballast combo is dangerous. The beam is thrown everywhere and isn't focused like a projector housing designed for HID. Oncoming traffic gets blinded, and the driver doesn't really see a vast improvement either.

If you want the spread and range you really need to retrofit HID projectors, self levelling motors, washers etc to get it working correctly and giving you the benefits you're looking for. Unfortunately this is often a costly exercise and I doubt a dealership will be willing to undertake this (as this is something straight from factory). You're looking at DIY or take it to a reputable shop to undertake this. I also know of a few US members members getting theirs done from a thrid party who could also customize turn signals etc, but they still had no washer setup (which I think is required here in AU)
Thanks Ichiro.

Appreciate the comments and understand what you are saying. It looks like by trying to save some cash with the purchase it will end up costing me in other ways.

Damn those Xenon lights are very good.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
Hi JBH320,

Not sure how prices etc. compare Aus vs. US but I asked the dealer about doing this to my 320 as well as a few reputable shops in the area and no one will touch it. Aftermarket indie shops in my area are open to it but have advised it is not cost effective at all and I'm better off just riding it out and getting the Coronas next time since when all is said and done it would be close to three grand.

I plan on swapping the stock bulbs with the BMW 'performance bulbs' when I bring it for service just for slightly better projection. This is a $65 minor upgrade

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Not sure how prices etc. compare Aus vs. US but I asked the dealer about doing this to my 320 as well as a few reputable shops in the area and no one will touch it. Aftermarket indie shops in my area are open to it but have advised it is not cost effective at all and I'm better off just riding it out and getting the Coronas next time since when all is said and done it would be close to three grand.

I plan on swapping the stock bulbs with the BMW 'performance bulbs' when I bring it for service just for slightly better projection. This is a $65 minor upgrade
Do you know how much better performance these BMW bulbs will provide you.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Hypnotic
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport Saloon Auto

Angel Eyes kit just seen. Don't know if this is any good.
Cheers
Gary

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...485514039.html
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

JBH320, I have done a HID upgrade and am very pleased with the result. I was very concerend about the comments like Ichiro makes above and so did allot of home work. What I found was a quality kit (normal rules apply - you get what you pay for) that minimised all the concerns and the only thing I had to do was adjust the manual headlight tilt on the dash down 2 clicks from normal so as to ensure oncoming traffic was not adversely affected. Most of the negative comments about the upgrade are 'generic' comments, however what is found on the F30 is that the reflector handles the HID bulbs very well. With that said it will never be the same as a focused reflector, but it is certainly nowhere like the fear, uncertainty and doubt comments out there. You might get a bad result with 8K HID in a commodore, but 6k HID in a F30 using a quality tested kit do work very well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
Angel Eyes kit just seen. Don't know if this is any good.
Cheers
Gary

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...485514039.html
Thanks for the info.

Do you know if these are easy to install ?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
JBH320
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkOz View Post
JBH320, I have done a HID upgrade and am very pleased with the result. I was very concerend about the comments like Ichiro makes above and so did allot of home work. What I found was a quality kit (normal rules apply - you get what you pay for) that minimised all the concerns and the only thing I had to do was adjust the manual headlight tilt on the dash down 2 clicks from normal so as to ensure oncoming traffic was not adversely affected. Most of the negative comments about the upgrade are 'generic' comments, however what is found on the F30 is that the reflector handles the HID bulbs very well. With that said it will never be the same as a focused reflector, but it is certainly nowhere like the fear, uncertainty and doubt comments out there. You might get a bad result with 8K HID in a commodore, but 6k HID in a F30 using a quality tested kit do work very well.
Thanks MMO.
Appreciate 0