E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Stories From The Torque Files

02-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Stories From The Torque Files

Do you ever play with other drivers? Not racing, just messing with them?

Today, traffic was light and I was in the fast lane not going very fast because there was nobody behind me. I was going about 70 in a 65 mph limit four-lane (in my direction) freeway when a car came up behind me. Not sure where it came from, must have been on the right and moved over behind me.

Well, I dont like to block anybody and there was some traffic on the right, so I floored it. The car (some kind of Japanese car) got really small in my rear view mirror. I actually hit about a 100 mph, passed a few cars on my right and pulled over into the slower lane and went back to piddling along at my 70 mph.

About 30 seconds later, the same car flies by me doing over 100 mph and runs into traffic in front of me and starts weaving in and out to get around the slower traffic.

LOLz. I bet that driver was mad at finding out their car was a slug. Stupid driver.

Any other Cool Stories?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Do you ever play with other drivers? Not racing, just messing with them?

...a car came up behind me.

Well, I don't like to block anybody and there was some traffic on the right, so I floored it... I actually hit about a 100 mph, passed a few cars on my right and pulled over into the slower lane and went back to piddling along at my 70 mph.
Even though I am a senior citizen who is not expected to do such things, I must admit I do the same thing. I mean, it's only polite, right? Get out of the guy's way because he probably has a real important meeting he's late for. This action of ours shows our concern for others the way I see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Even though I am a senior citizen who is not expected to do such things, I must admit I do the same thing. I mean, it's only polite, right? Get out of the guy's way because he probably has a real important meeting he's late for. This action of ours shows our concern for others the way I see it.
Yeah, the thing I like about having all this torque on call is that sometimes I can just decide that I want to get out of the pack and leave all the turkeys behind. Annoying people who think that if they are in front of you they are better than you is nice too, once in a while. But I dont race, that is risky, and I cant afford the ticket. I have only gotten one speeding ticket in the 108k miles driving my d.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Biggest thing I find with this car is how fast it can bear down and just "appear" to other cars. What I mean is many cars will look, see nothing in their side mirrors, signal and then try to change lanes. Before they know it you're either whizzing by or making them realize they better not switch lanes. I don't do this on purpose or in a douchey way. I just try to be selective and anticipate where I can and can't do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, the thing I like about having all this torque on call is that sometimes I can just decide that I want to get out of the pack and leave all the turkeys behind. Annoying people who think that if they are in front of you they are better than you is nice too, once in a while. But I dont race, that is risky, and I cant afford the ticket. I have only gotten one speeding ticket in the 108k miles driving my d.
I got my last speeding ticket about 20 years ago on an Ohio interstate in my '86 Jetta diesel. It had a little less oomph than the D: as I recall about 67 HP and just a little more than that in ft-lbs of torque. So I must have been going downhill to be exceeding the speed limit. But I was getting 44 mpg average; that helped pay for the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
I actually hit about a 100 mph, passed a few cars on my right and pulled over into the slower lane and went back to piddling along at my 70 mph.
Wow. Even though I've never gotten a speeding ticket (knock on wood), I'm a big chicken when it comes to speeding over 90mph. Got radar detector?
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Being part Asian myself, I used to defend the hell out of Chinese driver stereotypes until I moved to the San Gabriel, CA area and realized that there is no shortage of idiots. With that being said, if someone is going below the speed limit (most common foul... Sometimes it takes half an hour to go 2 miles), I'll throw the car into the lowest gear to rev past them, then go in front of them going slower until THEY start to see what they're doing wrong and even change lanes with them... But given that I don't have the patience to stay in 10MPH that long I just simply head back up to 35 after a block.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Wow. Even though I've never gotten a speeding ticket (knock on wood), I'm a big chicken when it comes to speeding over 90mph. Got radar detector?
Very good job, but my 2009 d has gone 107k (almost 108k), so check back in when your 2011 reaches that mileage and we can compare . No I dont have a radar detector, I try to speed intelligently (if that is possible ). In other words, I usually know the roads I am on and have seen the places law enforcement normally hangs out. My one ticket was taking someone to San Francisco Airport on 280 (I am not real familiar with that area) and there was a lot of fast traffic, and there was somebody behind me who wanted to go faster than the 85 mph I was going in the fast lane, I was passing a bunch of cars so I wanted to get by them and move over and let the faster car by. Guess who got the radar lock on him? The one in front, and the one in the sparkling blue bmw which would sure stick out from the junker behind me that was pushing me. I saw the cop as he was closing his door after radaring me. I passed the traffic and immediately pulled over and slowed down, hoping Mr. CHP would chase the car that passed me going around 90 mph. But by the time he caught up with me that guy was long gone and I forgot about target fixation... He ticketed me for 75 mph and I did the drivers ed so no complaints except the almost $400 cost was hard to swallow.

Edit: 175 mph ticket changed to 75 mph ticket. doh

Last edited by Quasimodem; 02-25-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze
Quote:
I actually hit about a 100 mph, passed a few cars on my right and pulled over into the slower lane and went back to piddling along at my 70 mph.
I actually hit what would be 115 mph for you the other day. Was exiting the express lanes to merge on the collector lanes.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Very good job, but my 2009 d has gone 107k (almost 108k), so check back in when your 2011 reaches that mileage and we can compare . No I dont have a radar detector, I try to speed intelligently (if that is possible ). In other words, I usually know the roads I am on and have seen the places law enforcement normally hangs out. My one ticket was taking someone to San Francisco Airport on 280 (I am not real familiar with that area) and there was a lot of fast traffic, and there was somebody behind me who wanted to go faster than the 85 mph I was going in the fast lane, I was passing a bunch of cars so I wanted to get by them and move over and let the faster car by. Guess who got the radar lock on him? The one in front, and the one in the sparkling blue bmw which would sure stick out from the junker behind me that was pushing me. I saw the cop as he was closing his door after radaring me. I passed the traffic and immediately pulled over and slowed down, hoping Mr. CHP would chase the car that passed me going around 90 mph. But by the time he caught up with me that guy was long gone and I forgot about target fixation... He ticketed me for 175 mph and I did the drivers ed so no complaints except the almost $400 cost was hard to swallow.
175?? I thought our speedometers ended at 160...
All kidding aside, sorry it happened.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I actually hit what would be 115 mph for you the other day. Was exiting the express lanes to merge on the collector lanes.
Greek, I think you and I drive alike.

With roads clean I typically hit 90-100mph on my way to work every morning.

If you come west you just need to remember that our province doesn't believe speed alone causes accidents which is why you need to be going 30mph over the speed limit to get any points deducted if you get a ticket. On a 4 lane that is 100mph. Anything below is just a pay like parking ticket monetary penalty.
      02-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
Greek, I think you and I drive alike.

With roads clean I typically hit 90-100mph on my way to work every morning.

If you come west you just need to remember that our province doesn't believe speed alone causes accidents which is why you need to be going 30mph over the speed limit to get any points deducted if you get a ticket. On a 4 lane that is 100mph. Anything below is just a pay like parking ticket monetary penalty.
I'd love to come out West for a visit. In this instance when I hit 115 there is no way a cop would be there for a speed trap as it's a merging area. I had also just put on the Wagner IC so I had done a few hard pulls before entering the highway to ensure that the connection was good. This was an extension of that test.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I got my last speeding ticket about 20 years ago on an Ohio interstate in my '86 Jetta diesel.
Love it. A $900 86 Jetta Eco diesel was my first diesel and I was hooked from then on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
175?? I thought our speedometers ended at 160...
All kidding aside, sorry it happened.
Maybe on a steep slope. Sorry, typo, will fix that, the "1" is out of place. LOL Now that would have been a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

I would state that I drive pretty sedate on my commute, but I have to say, after two years of ownership, the 335D *still* surprises me with its speed.

It is so quiet and smooth, there simply isn't any external, visceral perception of speed other than where the speedometer points. No air intake noise, no exhaust noise, wind noise- nothing.

I hit over 100 on what seems like a daily basis when passing cars idling in the fast lane.

However, most of the speed surprise comes when coming to a stop... scrubbing off speed can take sometimes longer than you think simply because you are going faster than you think you are.

Perhaps that is why I have warped rotors at only 19K.

I have seriously considered a new intake just to bring more external feedback to my driving. Any suggestions?

-Ed
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0