E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some very quick advice

02-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Need some very quick advice

Want to do do my trans and diff fluid tonight. I'm a noob with using a transfer pump. Wondering what I should do (if anything) to clean the fluid transfer pump between when I use it to pump trans fluid into the MT, and when I then pump out the old diff fluid and pump in new.

Should I just flush with water as the manual for the pump states and do the diff immediately because the amount of water left in there will be negligible? (I've always heard water in any fluid is bad)

Should I flush with water and attempt to dry it all out in some way? (not sure how I'd ever get the inside of the hoses dry)

Should I not worry about flushing it because trans drains itself, then I'm pumping IN new trans fluid. Then pumping OUT old Diff fluid (hopefully/effectively) flushing out any leftover trans fluid that's in there, then pumping IN new Diff fluid.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
      02-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Hirschman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Pumping out the diff fluid will effectively flush out ant remaining transmission fluid. Don't use water!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Do not use water, your better of with a little bit of mixed fluid then using water, especially in the diff which has a small capacity and no filter.

Go to the auto store and buy another transfer pump for $14.99. Pep boys has a nice one.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Yeah I guess I could just grab another pump to be extra safe. Good point.

Thanks for confirming not to use water between the fluids. I thought that was a bad idea but the pump package said to flush so it was something I had to ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

pump some new fluid into a dispose bean to clean old fluid. Do not wash the pump with water (it is a harder to remove contaminant, from oil perspective).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, drain the manual transmission then refill it using the transfer pump.

Go to the diff and pull the old oil out. Refill with the pump. The residual oil in the pump is negligible. If you're really worried, buy a few cans of Brake Clean and clean the pump and let it dry for a few minutes. Do not use water. You can use detergent and water to clean the pump after use for storage, but you should then dry it and use alcohol to displace any residual water. But if it were me, I'd just use brake clean, the stuff is great for cleaning anything that is dirty with oil.

Water and oil do not mix. Water with detergent does mix and is a good cleaning agent.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Never use water and any oil, flush old fluids with the same ones but new, then refill new fluid. Water is bad!!!!!!! Flushing with the same liquid is always the safest, yes, expensive but think this way, if anything goes bad, flushing will not get garbage out as much as you want, at least you have the same consistency after adding new fluid.
good luck!!
Appreciate 0