E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bearing ledge DIY in the making.

02-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bearing ledge DIY in the making.

--

Last edited by Supra2k6; 02-02-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Thanks, think this will become increasingly useful as motors continue aging. Cam ledges aren’t a typical “issue” here but it’s also not something that has been given a ton of thought.

Would just say it’s going to be so much easier with the BMW specific tool.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm at 100k but from what i researched it happens as low as 20k on n54's.

I migh just bite the bullet its only $60 to rent the tool plus $300 deposit but i wanted to do this weekend. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
MikeE90NC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

The local mechanic I take my car to mentioned this becoming an issue on some 335i. The conversation took place a couple months ago (and I could be wrong on this) but he said it seems to be from cars that havent had their oil changed frequently (every 4k miles) as BMW recommends every 15k miles and thus on some engines the right cam shaft (nose side) getting starved of oil and peeling into the ledge and ledge pieces blocking pathway for oil.

Sound right? Sorry I am not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to engine internals and I have shitty memory.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
AWTT335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm willing to bet you sucked part of your accessory belt into the oil pan when it let go. This is common if the belt lets go while the motor is running. The belt pushes it's way past the front main seal and shards and pieces of it go into the oil pan. It's blocking your oil pickup tube and probably imbedded particles into your rod bearings and clogged the VANOS solenoids to the point it throws codes. This would explains the low oil pressure light on startup and the VANOS codes as well. Sorry about your luck man.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768753
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

^ +1 pull the valve cover and see if there is anything in there . this could really turn bad quickly
      02-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

I've read of the belt issue as well. Maybe throw the oil pan gasket on your first thing to do list. If you see belt bits in the pan, you know you have some serious work ahead of you. Good luck and report back!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

very possible I did read that the belt could rip your front main seal but if so i would be leaking from my main seal which i check and the only leak i have is from the VC gasket to the top of the Catalytic converter.

i can see the belt chewing up the main seal but going past it? but who know's lets hope i'm right. I did drain the oil after replacing the vanos and just oil came out no chunks or strings of the belt came out.

Now before i have anymore nightmares wouldn't i have the low pressure light all the time? Mine comes on for a few seconds only on cold starts.

I ended renting the tool to hold the cams just in case i run into any problems. Thanks for the input i'll pop the VC off and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post
very possible I did read that the belt could rip your front main seal but if so i would be leaking from my main seal which i check and the only leak i have is from the VC gasket to the top of the Catalytic converter.

i can see the belt chewing up the main seal but going past it? but who know's lets hope i'm right. I did drain the oil after replacing the vanos and just oil came out no chunks or strings of the belt came out.

Now before i have anymore nightmares wouldn't i have the low pressure light all the time? Mine comes on for a few seconds only on cold starts.

I ended renting the tool to hold the cams just in case i run into any problems. Thanks for the input i'll pop the VC off and hope for the best.
Good luck and take lots of pics for us!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Dumb question and somewhat off topic but: I never understood why chains/belts had to be secured to cam gears when swapping cams, cam gears, etc. I know it's different on this platform given VANOS and various other N54 uniqueness, but on 2JZs, 4G63s, etc. the installs always show this (zip ties on the cam gears/belt if the gears themselves aren't being changed). Theoretically, if you bring the motor to TDC, line the gears up with the appropriate notches on the belt cover, etc. then what's the point of marking the belt or securing the gears to begin with? What were to happen if the gears AND cams AND chains needed to be replaced? I doubt people break out a degree wheel at that point, especially when the motor is still in the car. As long as the key on the cam gears fits into the cams correctly and everything matches up with the stock timing notches after the fact, isn't that about as good as the timing will get anyway?

Sorry for the n00b question, I'm just trying to visualize it from an automotive standpoint in general.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
AWTT335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

I don't see any reason to take off the VC, i would remove the oil pan and inspect the oil windage tray and oil pickup tube to see if the screen is blocked by pieces of the belt. Maybe even check the oil filter.

Back in high school I made the mistake once of putting too much RTV on the oil pan after installing the drain tube for a turbo kit. The RTV ballooned out when mating to the engine block and some pieces broke off and fell into the oil pan, which eventually lead to them getting jammed into the screen on the oil pump suction tube. Wanna guess what my symptoms were? Low oil pressure light on cold starts...

Take it for what its worth. Best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
OP, what date build is your car? The cam bearing ledges were really only an issue with the early build 335's, they revised the part after about middle of 2007 iirc.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
OP, what date build is your car? The cam bearing ledges were really only an issue with the early build 335's, they revised the part after about middle of 2007 iirc.
Build Date 03/07 so it was an issue but the belt could still be a possibility.

I still have the oil i drained no belt residue so i'm hoping for the best. I'm taking the vc tom which i have to either way its leaking from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWTT335i View Post
I don't see any reason to take off the VC, i would remove the oil pan and inspect the oil windage tray and oil pickup tube to see if the screen is blocked by pieces of the belt. Maybe even check the oil filter.

Back in high school I made the mistake once of putting too much RTV on the oil pan after installing the drain tube for a turbo kit. The RTV ballooned out when mating to the engine block and some pieces broke off and fell into the oil pan, which eventually lead to them getting jammed into the screen on the oil pump suction tube. Wanna guess what my symptoms were? Low oil pressure light on cold starts...

Take it for what its worth. Best of luck to you.
Thank you i would suspect id have low oil pressure at all times plus horrible engine noise Car runs fine tho but maybe i'm being optimistic tho lol. So after i check to see if the ledges are fine ill know what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #15
timmyc
SW20 to BL to E92
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Thank you i would suspect id have low oil pressure at all times plus horrible engine noise Car runs fine tho but maybe i'm being optimistic tho lol. So after i check to see if the ledges are fine ill know what it is.
How'd that go?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
In my 03/08 car the cam bearing ledges were replaced under warranty at 23K miles.

Recently I went in for an O2 sensor fault and I complained of rough idle.
The SA called me to tell me they were pulling the top end apart.
They looked at the intake and it had buildup but also valve seals leaking.
Once they got it apart to do the seals, guess what??
Cam bearing ledges, intake and exhaust scored.

Final bill came to $2100 in parts. I have no idea what the labor was. It was all done under CPO.

I'm guessing, that the BMW interval for main't is tooooooo long.
Should be under 10K miles like 2014 cars.
YMMV but, after this I'll be switching to a 5-7.5K service interval.
I'm also switching from the 0w30 that BMW recommends and switching to Amsoil 5w40 Euroblend that I use in my other cars.
I run Amsoil in everything else and have never had an issue.

BTW - my car has 95K on the odometer so the bearing ledges were replaced 72K miles ago.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Well that sucks, but good to know.
Appreciate 0