E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Leaking charge hoses

02-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Leaking charge hoses

So I took my CPO'd car into the dealership because I noticed my red charge pipe was leaking oil recently. I got a phone call today from the SA saying both of them were leaking (opposite ends from the intercooler) and this isn't covered under warrantee. He was blaming this under my accident I had. This problem started not too long ago, so it's definitely not accident related (both parts are bent apparently).

$1500 for the repair. Obviously I won't pay for that because it's a warrantee repair. Should I contact BMW NA about this?
      02-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Leakage at boost charge pipe look like a common problem. If you decide to fix the problem yourself. See:
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...oduct=FMBH335D
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=753755
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Even told them it's a common problem. Did not change their mind. I usually have great experience with this dealership but the past 2 visits haven't been.
      02-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Total BS not to cover the charge hoses. This is a common problem and my 2010 CPO has been in three times for this repair. These hoses do not tolerate heat well and fail frequently. This has a subtle but meaningful impact on performance and MPG. This is a well documented problem. How can the dealership be so stupid!?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Yep it is.

I'm just going to try and find replacement hoses then. I can get the Forge hose for about $100, as what Montr showed me. I just need to find the intake side aftermarket replacement.
      02-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Crawler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I understand that the charge leak lets oil and air out of the charge system. This increases boost time and decreases boost pressure. But once the leak is sealed doesn't all the oil that would normally leak out just accumulate in the bottom of the inter-cooler? If so, how hard is it to clean, and more importantly dry, the inter-cooler before re-installation? I assume you can draw air through it for a couple hours with a shop vac to dry it.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep

That is correct. The oil fume and vapor condensate at the bottom of intercooler, like a catch can. The oil come from the crankcase ventilation system (PCV valve) and the turbo oil seal.

In a previous car, Volvo inline 5 Turbo, the intercooler had a small hole (~1/16" diameter) at the bottom. This way, there is no accumulation of oil or water in the intercooler. It is blown away when there is pressure boost. The drawback is that the car was leaving occasionally few drop of oil in the garage floor. When the car was new, I was concerned about the oil leak. Eventually, I learned to live with it, I put a cardboard on the floor under the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Crawler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

A small hole. Makes sense. I assume then that our D intercoolers are sealed up tight and that water and oil accumulate over time making the intercooler less efficient. Eventually something must give. Where does our water/oil puddle go?

Thoughts on need for intercooler cleaning?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
A small hole. Makes sense. I assume then that our D intercoolers are sealed up tight and that water and oil accumulate over time making the intercooler less efficient. Eventually something must give. Where does our water/oil puddle go?

Thoughts on need for intercooler cleaning?

Cheers
It look like it is not to hard to remove the intercooler. I am now at 53K miles. If I got some spare time on a weekend, I will remove the intercooler and clean with a degreaser, dry and reinstall. Job done in about 2 hours?

I am also thinking removing the intake manifold to inspect and clean for carbon buildup. I bought a set of brush last week at Harbor Freight for that purpose. Instruction call for new seals when replacing the intake manifold. I am now debating if I need to order the gasket or not. On this post (5 series), the OP reused the seals. Procedure look more time consuming, 5 hours?

http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-you...-engine-53457/
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Replacing and installing Intake Manifold.pdf (609.1 KB, 805 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
Yep it is.

I'm just going to try and find replacement hoses then. I can get the Forge hose for about $100, as what Montr showed me. I just need to find the intake side aftermarket replacement.
Check out the following thread...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=oil+smell
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

I went and visually checked the intake side hose, and I found no such bends or any signs of oil leaks. The turbo side, or red charge pipe, had signs of leakage though. This pisses me off. It's one thing to blame an accident, but it is another to say a part is broken when it appears to be not.

I'm going to check the under side tomorrow just to verify this.