E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > cobb v3 vs jb4 and I have done plenty of searching

02-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3

cobb v3 vs jb4 and I have done plenty of searching

Hi guys first real post here , I have purchased a beautiful 2009 335i coupe with 35000km only auto tran sports package. I have been reading for weeks on different forums to help me decide on a Cobb or jb4 tune. I realize those with cobb say cob. And those with jb4 say jb4... The reason I am posting is I can't pin point a answer when regarding just a stock car and a BMS dci what tune to get. I don't want to get DP and FMIC for awhile so my question is this.... Cobb seems to want a FMIC to get any real aggressive gains where as jb4 seems to give you more pop on just a dci ... Is This true from guys with real world experience. All my searches the guys all have more bolt ons so the actual answer to which is better with just a dci is harder to find.. it seems jb4 makes more of a difference with just that. I do have 94octane chevron gas available ... YouTube seems to have jb4 cars pulling on cobb tuned cars... Of course all have more than a dci for bolt ons. You may say I answered my own question and get a jb4, well I was but I really like the interface and ease of install of the cobb I just don't know how a cobb with dci performs compared to a jb4... For those I offend and say search , trust me I've read so much on both it's confused me more. Money is not the main object as the jb4 and vr DP are the same as a cobb so I could just do that but I only want right now a intake and tune. Any light on how the two perform with only a intake would be helpful .... This is sure to have different opinions but I'm game for deciphering anyone's input and thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
firemanjust1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3/03 350z

I have had both and jb4 with just dci & map5 with e85 will be much faster than any stage 1 maps cobb offers. If money is now object just by both and cobb has money back guarantee if your not satisfied just return it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
rdeterman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe 6mt

JB4 FTW
      02-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have to do more investigating in regards to e85 as I don't know how to get that here in Victoria canada.. Does e85 cause charge pipe issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

No e85 in bc canada so that is not a option. Really it's what is more performance a jb4 with dci or a cobb with dci, I'm not sure what cobb map I can even run..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Money is not the main option but it does matter sorry just to clarify ... Otherwise I buy the rest of the bolt ons now so yes money is a contributer
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
I have a Cobb AP3.

The Cobb AP3 is for the driver/owner who doesn't mind that it costs twice as much as the JB4, just wants to "set it and forget it", wants to be able to install/uninstall the tune w/o having to turn a wrench or screwdriver and finds value in the additional features that the AP3 provides, such as the optional gauges, performance testing (0-60, 1/4 mile and dyno) and CEL code reading/clearing.

That's me, but it may not be you.

I read about the JB4 before I bought the Cobb. The lower cost and the wider variety of tuning options were appealing but the installation process was just too much trouble to me. Max performance and the tuning options also were not important to me. So, I opted for the Cobb.

As for "performance," my guess is that you might be able to get more out of a JB4 w/just a DCI but, I think the difference between a Cobb & JB4 with just a DCI is negligible AND, if you really want to get more out of your tune (whether a Cobb or JB4), you really should consider getting a FMIC now -- rather later -- because that's the only thing that will get you noticeably more power w/either tune w/o doing anything else over "stock."

Last edited by SSW; 02-16-2014 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

All the tunes make about the same power stock. You can only squeeze out so much boost out of a stock vehicle. So there is no magical tune for a stock car.

The differences are the installation process, the features within and if you prefer a piggyback or flash tune.

Of course cost is a factor for some and power per dollar the JB4 does win. Then again power dollar the OFT is likely the best choice for an otherwise stock vehicle. Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works but there is more then just two tunes.

I agree an FMIC should always be added to any vehicle even if remaining relatively stock. As it is the stock FMIC is inefficient for stock boost levels so by no accident it is recommended when tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
All the tunes make about the same power stock. You can only squeeze out so much boost out of a stock vehicle. So there is no magical tune for a stock car.

The differences are the installation process, the features within and if you prefer a piggyback or flash tune.

Of course cost is a factor for some and power per dollar the JB4 does win. Then again power dollar the OFT is likely the best choice for an otherwise stock vehicle. Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works but there is more then just two tunes.

I agree an FMIC should always be added to any vehicle even if remaining relatively stock. As it is the stock FMIC is inefficient for stock boost levels so by no accident it is recommended when tuned.
Listen to this! +1
      02-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

For the ease of instal and the ability to have a interface for info, I'm gonna go cobb and now I think with a FMIC lol. Go big or go home I guess.....appreciate the info as the answer I was seeking was stock car with BMS dci and it sounds like they are so close and since I'm not getting meth or e85 nor do I care to switch maps on the fly and I'm CPO warranty for just a little over a year cobb it is. Will be ordering from topgear soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Can someone chime in why cobb requires a FMIC before it starts to get aggressive and the hp/tq start to get up there and jb4 gets those numbers not using a FMIC and states that you can run DP and dci and a aggressive map to achieve higher hp/tq numbers . Is it a philosophy difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjust1 View Post
I have had both and jb4 with just dci & map5 with e85 will be much faster than any stage 1 maps cobb offers. If money is now object just by both and cobb has money back guarantee if your not satisfied just return it.

Stock stage 1 or 2 OTS maps from Cobb are on the conservative tuning side and are based on either 91 or 93 octane fuel. You are comparing those Cobb tunes to using jb4 with e85, which is using a much better fuel advantage for tuning. Why not compare your results with Cobb race maps or custom e85 maps?
Car: 2007 e90 335i 6MT - sports, premium, cold weather, light, and smoker's package. Performance Mods: Cobb AP v3, ETS 7" FMIC, Injen DCI, Michelin PSS, CDV delete, rear spoiler, BMW PE w/ Magnaflow tips, PTF pro-tune, VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipe w/ Tial Q, APEX 18" EC-7 wheels, MP outlet/ inlet, MMP Stg. 3 turbos. Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, BMW alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, Lux E90 V6 bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
silver07335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
For the ease of instal and the ability to have a interface for info, I'm gonna go cobb and now I think with a FMIC lol. Go big or go home I guess.....appreciate the info as the answer I was seeking was stock car with BMS dci and it sounds like they are so close and since I'm not getting meth or e85 nor do I care to switch maps on the fly and I'm CPO warranty for just a little over a year cobb it is. Will be ordering from topgear soon.
If you order Cobb AP v3 directly from Cobb Tuning you get a 30 day trial period that allows returns just in case if you decide to change your mind later. You could also consider using Cobb AP v2 if you're on a budget and want to get the most bang for your buck while sticking with a flash tune.
Car: 2007 e90 335i 6MT - sports, premium, cold weather, light, and smoker's package. Performance Mods: Cobb AP v3, ETS 7" FMIC, Injen DCI, Michelin PSS, CDV delete, rear spoiler, BMW PE w/ Magnaflow tips, PTF pro-tune, VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipe w/ Tial Q, APEX 18" EC-7 wheels, MP outlet/ inlet, MMP Stg. 3 turbos. Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, BMW alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, Lux E90 V6 bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Do u have to order from cobb directly in order to get the 30day return policy?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Can someone chime in why cobb requires a FMIC before it starts to get aggressive and the hp/tq start to get up there and jb4 gets those numbers not using a FMIC and states that you can run DP and dci and a aggressive map to achieve higher hp/tq numbers . Is it a philosophy difference?
Probably.

I haven't compared the HP/TQ #'s the way you apparently have but my "impression" is that the Cobb programs are a bit more conservative than JB4. So, Cobb apparently suggests the use of more aggressive maps only with the additional bolt-ons that they think are best suited to withstand the greater HP demands and mechanical stress on the engine that are created by those maps. Dinan also takes this approach and is even less aggressive in their tuning and more conservative in their matching bolt-on recommendations, particularly because they back their programming w/a mechanical warranty.

Frankly, I think that this approach is in your best interest, since using more aggressive maps w/o the proper equipment in place is more likely to result in some sort of engine failure. So, as a Cobb user, I am fine with their apparently more conservative programming vs. equipment recommendations.
      02-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
silver07335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do u have to order from cobb directly in order to get the 30day return policy?
Ordering directly from Cobb shows 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you order from a vendor I would ask if they can match that satisfaction guarantee and make sure you get it on paper (or e-mail) just in case.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-N54-Ac...p3-bmw-001.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I think this thread sums it up nicely. JB4 makes more power and is half the price. The only down side being its harder to install. Honestly though it only takes a small screw driver and a 10mm socket to install. It took me about an hour and a half having never done it before. The other features on the JB4 like on the fly map switching, gauge hijacking and shift light are really really cool too.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I have both. Stacking the 2 is actually the best option. You can run the Back End flash through the Cobb while letting the JB4 do it's thing. I had the Cobb AP to begin with and ran stage 2+ which was great but I had post shift timing drop. The JB4 took care of that. I ended up de-modding my car and just run the AP/JB4 tune and that's good enough for now
Appreciate 0