ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Guess the F8x standard equipment

Like the rest of you, the wait is killing me. Ever since seeing the YMB sedan at NAIAS, I have been warming more and more to the idea of buying an F80 M3.

Based on the launch car order guide, I believe the following could still either end up either being standard or optional on customer cars.

4MC - Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
494 - Heated Front Seats
609 - Navigation system

My personal thought is that at least one thing on that list will end up being optional rather than standard.

What is everyone else's opinion? Feel free to add your own options to the mix, but keep in mind that if something was truly optional on the launch cars, it is perhaps unlikely for it to become standard on customer cars.

Feel free to add your guess as to which optional equipment (any optional equipment) will be offered stand-alone too.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Like the rest of you, the wait is killing me. Ever since seeing the YMB sedan at NAIAS, I have been warming more and more to the idea of buying an F80 M3.

Based on the launch car order guide, I believe the following could still either end up either being standard or optional on customer cars.

494 - Heated Front Seats
609 - Navigation system

My personal thought is that at least one thing on that list will end up being optional rather than standard.

What is everyone else's opinion? Feel free to add your own options to the mix, but keep in mind that if something was truly optional on the launch cars, it is perhaps unlikely for it to become standard on customer cars.

Feel free to add your guess as to which optional equipment (any optional equipment) will be offered stand-alone too.
My opinion is that it would be very weak if Nav isn't standard on a 75k+ car. I understand some don't want it which is fine. But it should still be free if you want it.

I wish the Piano black trim was standard but I assume it will cost more like in the UK. The CF is just strait up gaudy.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
My opinion is that it would be very weak if Nav isn't standard on a 75k+ car. I understand some don't want it which is fine. But it should still be free if you want it.
Well, it starts at $62K, but I hear you. Is it standard on the C7, for example? I know that's slightly less than $62K - mid 50s.

So in summary though, you are guessing it will be standard (I am trying to keep things on topic ).

Quote:
I wish the Piano black trim was standard but I assume it will cost more like in the UK. The CF is just strait up gaudy.
I don't think it'll even be an option. If the CF is not standard, we will almost surely get the "Blue Shadow" trim standard as in the UK. It's dark, almost black, but it's plastic rather than wood like the Piano Black trim is.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, it starts at $62K, but I hear you. Is it standard on the C7, for example? I know that's slightly less than $62K - mid 50s.

So in summary though, you are guessing it will be standard (I am trying to keep things on topic ).

I don't think it'll even be an option. If the CF is not standard, we will almost surely get the "Blue Shadow" trim standard as in the UK. It's dark, almost black, but it's plastic rather than wood like the Piano Black trim is.
The Piano black and the Blue Shadow are available on the UK configuration site. The Piano costs 300 pounds. I'll be pissed if it's not in the states.

I am guessing Nav will be standard. It's a 795 option on a Corvette but as many have said its a different type of a car. I would care less in a 'pure' sports car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
swiss-bimmer
Rep
Drives: RRS SC 5.0

Quote:

494 - Heated Front Seats
609 - Navigation system

Well, I am from Switzerland and obviously and usually many things come standard in the US which we have to buy optional. This time around, I was rather surprised that certain things were standard on the car I just ordered which i had not expected such as:
- HUD
- DAB Radio (Sirius?)

I did, however, have to pay for options such as:
- Carbon Fibre
- High Gloss Shadow line (!)
- Navi Professional

Heated front seats came in at 0 cost because of the leather (I got full leather, though it would be standard on extended leather as well).

By the way, my wife is from canton, mi - been there many times. We now live in Switzerland.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss-bimmer View Post
Well, I am from Switzerland and obviously and usually many things come standard in the US which we have to buy optional. This time around, I was rather surprised that certain things were standard on the car I just ordered which i had not expected such as:
- HUD
- DAB Radio (Sirius?)

I did, however, have to pay for options such as:
- Carbon Fibre
- High Gloss Shadow line (!)
- Navi Professional

Heated front seats came in at 0 cost because of the leather (I got full leather, though it would be standard on extended leather as well).

By the way, my wife is from canton, mi - been there many times. We now live in Switzerland.
By High Gloss Shadow Line I assume you mean interior trim? The outside shadowline should definitely be standard!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Piano black and the Blue Shadow are available on the UK configuration site. The Piano costs 300 pounds. I'll be pissed if it's not in the states.
I'd say you may want to prepare yourself for disappointment, unfortunately. It wasn't available for launch cars, and I don't even see it optional in Canada, where there are a number of extra exterior paint as well as interior trim options available through BMW Individual that probably also won't be offered here, or at least not for the first model year.

Quote:
I am guessing Nav will be standard. It's a 795 option on a Corvette but as many have said its a different type of a car. I would care less in a 'pure' sports car.
A fair point. It was the first car that popped into my head in this price range. I wonder what the most expensive current BMW that does not have standard Navigation is? 5, X5 perhaps? I'd have to look it up. But those are probably in the $50k starting range too, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
swiss-bimmer
Rep
Drives: RRS SC 5.0

Quote:
By High Gloss Shadow Line I assume you mean interior trim? The outside shadowline should definitely be standard!
I know there were big debates in other threads about the High Gloss Shadow Line being standard or not. I can assure you that I had to pay for the outside shadowline (510 Swiss Francs to be exact) - as far as I understand, however, it will be standard equipment in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd say you may want to prepare yourself for disappointment, unfortunately. It wasn't available for launch cars, and I don't even see it optional in Canada, where there are a number of extra exterior paint as well as interior trim options available through BMW Individual that probably also won't be offered here, or at least not for the first model year.

A fair point. It was the first car that popped into my head in this price range. I wonder what the most expensive current BMW that does not have standard Navigation is? 5, X5 perhaps? I'd have to look it up. But those are probably in the $50k starting range too, no?
I know the option price on the Vette for sure. I went to go cross shop a Stingray Z51 3LT last weekend and found out I'm too tall to fit in the car and use the clutch. lol.

I guess I'll just have to hope that it is like it is in the UK. Otherwise I'll have to go with Aluminum Blade and buy the piano later to swap out.

UK Site
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

To be fair, its a 62k car not 75k car. And I dont think navigation will be standard because it wasnt standard last time when the cars cost 3-4k less than they do today. If all these features now become standard, BMW is not really increasing the prices which I dont see happening.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
To be fair, its a 62k car not 75k car. And I dont think navigation will be standard because it wasnt standard last time when the cars cost 3-4k less than they do today. If all these features now become standard, BMW is not really increasing the prices which I dont see happening.
Well it's $64,200 base w/ destination for an M4. I see your point but it should still be standard. I'm sure the average build will be 75k+.

I figure if Nav wasn't standard it would have been in the Exec pack no?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I figure if Nav wasn't standard it would have been in the Exec pack no?
Not necessarily. It could be an ad-hoc option or possibly packaged with 6NS like it is for the F3x.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not necessarily. It could be an ad-hoc option or possibly packaged with 6NS like it is for the F3x.
Ahh - I have never ordered a BMW new so maybe I expect too much. I think 6NS is only a couple hundred dollar option in the Military guide.

I have a price in my head that I'm willing to pay for my M4. Hopefully I can get it optioned the way I want for that price. Otherwise Ill have to spend more lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Nav is standard on 2014 5 series and X5 models (even with base engine spec).

I am hoping it is indeed standard on the F8x.
      02-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Nav is standard on 2014 5 series and X5 models (even with base engine spec).

I am hoping it is indeed standard on the F8x.
Interesting, and good to know. I'd say that is indeed a good sign then.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
jlh335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f80 ymb

Quote:
The CF is just strait up gaudy.
Granted, I havent seen the carbon fiber in person, but the general opinion on this board seems to view the cf negatively... why is that? What would you have liked to seen?

If they put pre peg then everyone would complain the car is unfinished or "such and such doesnt belong in an $x car." And real carbon is heaps better than that fake weave shit in the last generation.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
I'm trying to remain extremely optimistic in the fact that the specs we have seen so far are correct and all that has been listed as standard equipment so far will remain that way. Since we haven't seen any mention of a cold weather package so far I think that is a good sign that the heated seats will be standard. With regards to the navigation, I think it's just about time that an option like this is now standard at this price point. The carbon fiber trim seems like it could be a standard trim just due to the fact of all the other standard CFRP parts on the car so they are trying to keep in line with that.

The only thing I don't see being standard equipment or even available according to what we have seen is the 20-way power seats. I think that is definitely an error.

The wait is killing me as well but we will know all of this in due time. Just would be nice if it was sooner rather than later.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh335i View Post
Granted, I havent seen the carbon fiber in person, but the general opinion on this board seems to view the cf negatively... why is that? What would you have liked to seen?
I too haven't seen it in person but it looks very similar to the carbon fiber trim that was available as an option (which I had) in my S4. If it's anything like that, then I have absolutely no issues with it.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
jlh335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f80 ymb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I too haven't seen it in person but it looks very similar to the carbon fiber trim that was available as an option (which I had) in my S4. If it's anything like that, then I have absolutely no issues with it.
Yeah, I think a lot of people here are a little caught up in their idea of what is sporty or motor-sports derived etc... perhaps that is just a showing of the bmw mcar demographic.

I think the seats and the carbon fiber are spot on. In fact, i would possibly pay a premium to get the recaros (I assume that's where they're sourced) with carbon fiber backs - as opposed to the bmw 20 way adjustables...

Its funny how the aftermarket bmw labeled recaros for the CSL and the last generation m3's were lusted after. Now bmw put a pair of sport seats as standard and people are complaining about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I think a lot of people here are a little caught up in their idea of what is sporty or motor-sports derived etc... perhaps that is just a showing of the bmw mcar demographic.

I think the seats and the carbon fiber are spot on. In fact, i would possibly pay a premium to get the recaros (I assume that's where they're sourced) with carbon fiber backs - as opposed to the bmw 20 way adjustables...

Its funny how the aftermarket bmw labeled recaros for the CSL and the last generation m3's were lusted after. Now bmw put a pair of sport seats as standard and people are complaining about it.
Just goes to show that you can't make everyone happy all the time.

I personally think the F8X interior is way ahead of the E9X and a great improvement in all areas especially with regards to the direction BMW went with the F8X.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

i really liked the CF trim in person. I also dislike the weave on the CF trim on the m6/5. The CF trim on the f8x looks a lot like the weave on the CF roof, while the m6 looks much less dense and imo cheap.

I love the new seats too. finally a pair of legitimate sport seats in the m3. I never warmed up to the seats in my e9x.

I think nav will be standard as will heated seats, but I expect that the CF trim will be optional.
      02-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think most people like the CF trim, actually. There are some who don't like the bright, shininess. I would put myself in that camp. I much prefer the look of the M Performance CF trim, though without the Alcantara and branding on the dash piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I'The only thing I don't see being standard equipment or even available according to what we have seen is the 20-way power seats. I think that is definitely an error.
Yes, there are several things mentioned on the auto show info card that have no chance of being either standard or optional since they are F10 options that were erroneously included. These are:

- 20-way power seats
- 10.2" navigation screen
- Alcantara headliner
- M Dynamic Damper Control (we will get Adaptive M Suspension, though, which is essentially the same thing)
Appreciate 0