Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Alpina B4 Biturbo: The gentleman's M3

Not sure if this was posted before (Pr and pics from Alpina). Alpina's softier version of the M3...

BMW Alpina B4 Bi-Turbo

The foundation that Burkard Bovensiepen laid in the 1960s in the form of a performance-enhanced BMW 1500, has since developed into a permanent fixture in the luxury sports car segment.

What were then the first technologically and qualitatively relevant products marketed by ALPINA, namely four-cylinder petrol engines with Weber dual carburettors, are now in modern form high-tech automobiles. Equipped from the outset with the best possible genes by BMW, they currently represent the ultimate in performance, comfort, driving culture and efficiency.

The new BMW ALPINA B3 and B4 Bi-Turbo models combine these characteristics like no other. The modern straight-six 3 litre engine equipped with two turbochargers produces 410hp and a maximum torque of 600Nm. The adaptive ALPINA sport suspension and the 8-Speed Sport-Automatic transmission with ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC deliver maximum comfort and impressive dynamics. Functional aerodynamics, signature 20" ALPINA CLASSIC wheels and two elliptical double tailpipes are hallmarks of the ALPINA design philosophy.

The perfect interaction of power, torque and high-tech transmission means accelerating from 0 to 100km/h (0 - 62mph) takes just 4.2 seconds and a staggering top speed in excess of 300km/h is possible. At the same time these qualities encourage relaxed cruising and stress-free long distance journeys – during which the real life consumption easily drops below 10l per 100km. In fact the new B4 Bi-Turbo Coupé achieves a class-leading combined fuel economy of just 7.6l/100km and 177g/km CO2*.

Powertrain
The 2979cc straight-six cylinder engine with high-precision direct injection, Valvetronic and Bi-Turbo charging delivers 410hp (301kW) between 5500rpm and 6250rpm and a maximum torque of 600Nm at only 3000rpm. In fact 550Nm are available across an impressively wide range between 2200rpm and 5200rpm. Mated to the excellent ZF 8-Speed Sport-Automatic transmission means that the new BMW ALPINA B3 Bi-Turbo and B4 Bi-Turbo models are never lacking in forward momentum - power can be called upon at all times in order to enjoy that typical, effortless ALPINA driving experience.
The new B4 Bi-Turbo Coupé accelerates from 0 to 100km/h (0 - 62mph) in just 4.2 seconds, passing the 200km/h mark in 14 seconds on the way to a top speed of 305km/h. At the same time the powertrain, which features Valvetronic and Start Stop, boasts class leading economy figures with a combined consumption of only 7.6 litres per 100 kilometers and CO2 emissions of just 177g/km*. * Preliminary data BMW ALPINA B4 Bi-Turbo Coupé (RWD).

Transmission:
Inspired by the pleasure that the 8-Speed Sport-Automatic transmission with SWITCH-TRONIC offers in the larger BMW ALPINA models, the so-called 8HP70 transmission has been extensively adapted to suit the performance characteristics of the new B3 and B4 Bi-Turbo models. In actual fact, the high power output and torque of the Bi-Turbo combine so well with this transmission that performance figures usually associated with much larger but less efficient engines are achieved.

The transmission excels in disciplines often assumed to be incompatible and offers an optimum driving experience in every situation. To this end, three shift modes are available: Automatic (D), Sport (S) and Manual (M).
In Automatic (D) Shift Mode the focus is strictly on driving comfort. The transmission changes gears quickly and with no noticeable interruption to the delivery of power. The torque of the engine enables consumption-optimised 'surfing‘ in high gears even at very low speeds and in urban driving environments. Even at higher cruising speeds rpms will remain low, for example 2500rpm at 170km/h in 8th gear, increasing long-distance driving comfort significantly. Sport (S) Shift Mode noticeably shortens the time it takes for the next gear to engage and depending on engine load significantly moves the shift points up the rev range. Accelerator inputs are carried out immediately, full throttle i.e. kick-down will implement multi-simultaneous downshifts and optimal acceleration. When combined with the Sport or Sport+ setting of the Drive Performance Control, which modifies the drive and chassis setup, gearshifts are even quicker. Activating the Manual (M) Shift Mode using the SWITCH-TRONIC buttons on the back of the steering wheel, allows the driver to take control and shift gears when suitable or necessary. A special feature of the Sport, Sport+ and DSC Off setting is the suppression of automatic up-shift in Manual (M) Shift Mode – hereby the selected gear is held into the rpm limiter and the transmission will not up-shift into a higher gear.

Chassis & Suspension
The suspension set-up of the new B4 Bi-Turbo provides great ride-quality and comfort while simultaneously offering sharp and dynamic handling. The adaptive ALPINA sport suspension solves this conflict of interest by means of electronically adjustable dampers in collaboration with performance springs, bump stops and stabilisers. The system allows the driver to use the Drive Performance Control (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) to select the suspension setting and driving dynamics to match his mood. The longer wheelbase and wider track at the front and rear provide the B4 Bi-Turbo Coupé with a more dynamic character from the outset. Subtle adjustments to camber, toe-in and elastokinematics result in a neutral chassis and very balanced handling. The 20" ALPINA Classic wheels with MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport tyres combined with a front strut brace accentuate the Coupé's direct and precise turn-in. The Variable Sports Steering from BMW, which comes as standard, has a progressive steering rack providing steering stability at high speeds but which requires significantly less steering input (turns of the wheel) when manoeuvring and parking. Deceleration is taken care of by an 18" high-performance brake system with 370mm discs at the front and 345mm discs at the rear. Aluminium callipers (4-piston on front axle, 2-piston on rear axle) painted in blue and with ALPINA lettering, in conjunction with high-performance pads, ensure fading stability and optimal pedal feedback.

Design:
Coupés from ALPINA have always appealed to a small but particularly loyal circle of enthusiast drivers who share a passion for understated elegance combined with maximum performance and a sophisticated driving experience. The design of the BMW ALPINA B4 Bi-Turbo Coupé combines muscular and delicate elements in one chic silhouette. The Coupé is longer, wider and significantly lower than the Saloon. Its profile rakes from an imposing, muscular front accentuated with bold lines to a clean and stylish rear. The front spoiler, with subtle ALPINA lettering, integrates seamlessly into the dynamic front apron which is characterised by large air intakes for the cooling system of the turbo-charged engine as well as the high-performance brake system. Together with the rear spoiler the Coupé's aerodynamics are optimised for excellent high-speed stability while simultaneously maintaining a low drag coefficient. It is almost as if the low, elongated silhouette of the Coupé was shaped to complement the 20" ALPINA Classic wheels. Their timeless, twenty spoke design with hidden air valves suit the B4 Bi-Turbo exceptionally well. Blue brake callipers with ALPINA lettering and signature twin tailpipes complete the appearance.
Attached Images

02-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

There have been a post about the B3, but this is the first on the B4 I believe

Awesome pictiures!

And, yes the Alpina versions are more gentlemanly than the more macho M3/4
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

That does look great, I will be sticking with M3 though :-) I guess I am not a gentleman.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Plus points over an M3/M4:

1. Top speed limiter removed
2. Alpina blue far better than YMB
3. Exclusivity

Everything else .......I'll take the M thanks
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Nice colour and its execution is flawless. One thing I have never liked about Alpina is the fussy graphics (easily deleted) and Alpina's wheel design. For the money, I would go the M3/M4 route.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
bob330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Not that I would buy one but any idea on base MSRP?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

lots of badges on that guy.
      02-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

I'm no gentleman!!! A bit too refined; M4 for me
      02-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

The alpina is unbelievably boring to me, and makes no sense. it really is also not similar to an m3 at all imo.

I would rather have a 6mt m sport 335 than an alpina, but that's just me.

The m3 is far more focused and raw, and will run circles around the alpina as usual.
      02-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

The m3 is far more focused and raw, and will run circles around the alpina as usual.

335i: 306 HP and 400 Nm, no rear diff, not so exclusive
B3: 410 HP and 600 Nm, rear diff, exclusive

If money was not an issue, I'd take the Alpina any day over a 335i.

About the M3 being more focused and raw. Let's just agree that the M3 is less GT and less luxurious than an Alpina.

If you're talking raw, you're talking Lotus, Caterham and the likes... Not M3 (or at least not since E9X generation)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
335i: 306 HP and 400 Nm, no rear diff, not so exclusive
B3: 410 HP and 600 Nm, rear diff, exclusive

If money was not an issue, I'd take the Alpina any day over a 335i.

About the M3 being more focused and raw. Let's just agree that the M3 is less GT and less luxurious than an Alpina.

If you're talking raw, you're talking Lotus, Caterham and the likes... Not M3 (or at least not since E9X generation)
I absolutely do not believe the m3 is less luxurious than an alpina. it has better seats, better materials, same tech, etc....

there are degrees of being raw. its not like you are a racecar or a Mercedes s600, there are plenty of shades of gray in between.

the alpina is auto only, heavy, and imo uninteresting. there is a market for it sure, but its not a drivers car imo, and thus im not interested in it. it doesn't provide anything I would be interested in over a regular 335.

are people really going to track the alpina with its blingin 20s? does the LSD really do much on the road?

its a niche product, but isn't anything like an m3 which is track ready
      02-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

alpina On 3 series just look fugly. it shouts "i couldnt afford B7"
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
I absolutely do not believe the m3 is less luxurious than an alpina. it has better seats, better materials, same tech, etc....

there are degrees of being raw. its not like you are a racecar or a Mercedes s600, there are plenty of shades of gray in between.

the alpina is auto only, heavy, and imo uninteresting. there is a market for it sure, but its not a drivers car imo, and thus im not interested in it. it doesn't provide anything I would be interested in over a regular 335.

are people really going to track the alpina with its blingin 20s? does the LSD really do much on the road?

its a niche product, but isn't anything like an m3 which is track ready
totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
totally agree.
As do I!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
The alpina is unbelievably boring to me, and makes no sense. it really is also not similar to an m3 at all imo.

Chris Harris was quite high on the B3. It delivers quite a bit more performance than a standard M Sport F30 335i. More power, more torque (443 lb-ft), more speed, sharper throttle response, and an optional locking differential.

And an Akrapovic exhaust to top it all off.

However, it is still not as sharp as a purebred M car.

Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #16
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Chris Harris was quite high on the B3. It delivers quite a bit more performance than a standard M Sport F30 335i. More power, more torque (443 lb-ft), more speed, sharper throttle response, and an optional locking differential.

And an Akrapovic exhaust to top it all off.

However, it is still not as sharp as a purebred M car.

if you havnt noticed chris harris stays with positive overall comments on majority of the cars he tests.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
if you havnt noticed chris harris stays with positive overall comments on majority of the cars he tests.
If you haven't noticed, Chris Harris tends not to drive crappy cars to begin with.

Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

People... You should not forget that Alpina deliberately tune their car to have softer suspension settings than M so they can be confortable in most road conditions whilst still being very fast (the fact that they remove the speed limiter shows their confidence in their cars). They are the best BMW GT's (VS Sports Cars for the M's).

Alpina have been famous for a long time in racing, and recognised as a manufacturer, not a mere tuner, all before M existed by making competition versions of BMW's (3.0 CSL) and still have cars in endurance racing such as the Nurburgring 24 hours.

Please do not say that Alpina make a lesser product than M, which is completely false. They just do different products but still great machines with very serious engineering (for example Alpinas always had much better braking systems than M cars).

You NEED to drive an Alpina to get it. For instance how they can make their cars ride so comfortably whilst still retaining great control with these huge 21inch wheels and super low profile rubber astonishes me!
      02-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
...the alpina is auto only, heavy, and imo uninteresting. there is a market for it sure, but its not a drivers car imo, and thus im not interested in it...
I definitely disagree. It very much is a driver's car. I've driven a Alpina B7 once and I never would have thought a 7 series would drive and feel so good.

Quote:
...its a niche product, but isn't anything like an m3 which is track ready
Here, you're just stating the blatantly obvious. Everyone who is in the market to buy this particular car knows these things going in.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I definitely disagree. It very much is a driver's car. I've driven a Alpina B7 once and I never would have thought a 7 series would drive and feel so good.

Here, you're just stating the blatantly obvious. Everyone who is in the market to buy this particular car knows these things going in.
Agree to disagree on the first part

As for the second, the title of the thread is "the gentlemans m3". That's what my comment was directed towards. I do not think they are alike, and do not see the alpina as similar to the m3.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

More eye candy, the B3 (3 series) biturbo in both sedan and touring form...
Attached Images

02-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #22
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

More....
Attached Images