E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Having trouble triggering code after AP uninstall

02-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
moswissa
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i coupe M sport

Having trouble triggering code after AP uninstall

hello guys,

So this morning I noticed my car shutter under acceleration on 3rd with SES light on. Im running cobb stage 1+FMIC. After scanning, Code read "misfire cylinder". my car is CPO so i wanted to bring it back to the dealer, so I uninstalled cobb and of coarse it clears all the codes which is bad because now my car is running perfect with no codes showing up. I tried driving it hard on the freeway but my car refuses to misfire. I scanned several times and its showing no codes. any advice on what to do? im still under factory warranty as well i drive a 2010 e92 with only 30k miles and i want to take advantage of the warranty. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Allen@MOTIV
Rep
Drives: 135i

It's almost guaranteed to be a spark plug related misfire. The car is running under a lot less load when stock and the plugs are capable of keeping up in that condition.

Moral of the story: change the plugs and you should be good to go
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
moswissa
Banned
Rep

yeah I agree, but the question is how do I get those spark plugs replaced under warranty if the car is no longer throwing codes and running fine?

I had the same symptoms when i first bought the car and it was a fuel injector
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
moswissa
Banned
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
Allen@MOTIV
Rep

Without having the codes present it will be vary difficult to get the plugs replaced for free before the 45K mile service interval. The symptoms will not be present when they diag it and it would be hard for them to justify the change. Your best bet(IMO) is to DIY the plug swap.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
moswissa
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
Without having the codes present it will be vary difficult to get the plugs replaced for free before the 45K mile service interval. The symptoms will not be present when they diag it and it would be hard for them to justify the change. Your best bet(IMO) is to DIY the plug swap.
yeah thats what Im thinking is the best option.

BMW told me if any Indy shop or myself works on the car the warranty is automatically voided. if I do the DIY using the same factory plugs will BMW find out??

and do I really have to torque it to spec, all i have is an ordinary ratchet not those fancy ones that have a sensor lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #7
Allen@MOTIV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moswissa View Post
yeah thats what Im thinking is the best option.

BMW told me if any Indy shop or myself works on the car the warranty is automatically voided. if I do the DIY using the same factory plugs will BMW find out??

and do I really have to torque it to spec, all i have is an ordinary ratchet not those fancy ones that have a sensor lol
It is illegal for a dealership to just void a warranty. If an issues arises directly because of a mistake made during the work then they can deny warranty coverage replacing that part.
Appreciate 0