E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre pressure warning

02-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Tyre pressure warning

I picked up my AUC e93 last Friday, loving it so far, but today I had the tyre pressure warning light come on, went and checked they pressure and the o/s rear was down to 26psi, I've visually checked it as best I can and it doesn't appear to be punctured.

As I'm still waiting to receive the manuals from the dealer I was using google to try and find what pressure the tyres should be at, as I was looking I stumbled upon something which has me a bit worried, a lot of threads about 19" mv4 wheels cracking, these are the wheels I have on my car. I've only covered 200 miles since I had the car and haven't hit any potholes, I'm wondering what should be my next move, I've reset the tyre pressure monitor, if it goes low again should I go to a tyre place and have the tyre checked or go back to the dealer I bought the car from??

To top it all off, yesterday a stone chipped my windscreen
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
I picked up my AUC e93 last Friday, loving it so far, but today I had the tyre pressure warning light come on, went and checked they pressure and the o/s rear was down to 26psi, I've visually checked it as best I can and it doesn't appear to be punctured.

As I'm still waiting to receive the manuals from the dealer I was using google to try and find what pressure the tyres should be at, as I was looking I stumbled upon something which has me a bit worried, a lot of threads about 19" mv4 wheels cracking, these are the wheels I have on my car. I've only covered 200 miles since I had the car and haven't hit any potholes, I'm wondering what should be my next move, I've reset the tyre pressure monitor, if it goes low again should I go to a tyre place and have the tyre checked or go back to the dealer I bought the car from??

To top it all off, yesterday a stone chipped my windscreen
Same thing happened to me when I got my e93. In the end I pumped up the tyre and it went down again. Went to a local tyre place and it had a very small nail in it, I ended up just changing it. Been fine ever since (4 months now.)

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Would I have to change the tyre if it had something in it?? It's a run flat with 7mm left, come to think of it, I don't even know where the locking nut is
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Would I have to change the tyre if it had something in it?? It's a run flat with 7mm left, come to think of it, I don't even know where the locking nut is
Locating the locking nut should probably be your first concern. Mine for some odd reason never had locking nuts so had to buy myself.

If it has a nail in it then yes it would need to be changed, sometimes they can be repaired but it all depends on where the nail is located.

When/if you get the chance swap them out for non runflats, cheaper and better ride.

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Might have not had the pressures checked. Don't start worrying before you know it's happening.

Take it back and ask them to check if it happens again.

They do crack - Runflats+Low Profile+Cheap Shite Metal=Cracks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
Mikey B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325 Coupe

Quote:
LN is usually in the boot, right hand side under a little cover buddy
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #7
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, the warning didnt appear again this morning. Reading some of the problems with the wheels has got my mind working overtime, fingers crossed its nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #8
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

PPP

You're suffering from post purchase paranoia.

Let your dealer know that the pressure warning triggered shortly after picking up the car

The correct pressures for your tyres are on a label inside the driver's door. Get yourself a dual cylinder foot pump and a decent pressure gauge. Pump all the tyres to the correct pressure and re-initialize the tyre pressure monitor. (you should always check tyre pressures cold so a pump and gauge are mandatory if you want accurate pressures)

Check your tyres over the next few days with the gauge to see if any are losing significant pressure. If you find one tyre is going down take it back to the dealer and ask them to investigate. If its a cracked rim I would expect them to sort it. If its a punctured tyre then you may have to argue
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks SteveC, id say your right about the paranoia lol, ive just sent an email to the dealer detailing the problem, I'll see how that goes.

Will look into getting the pump and gauge, thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Car is going in to the dealer on Wednesday, 4 times this week I've had the pressure monitor go off and a trip to ATS who say I haven't got a puncture. Bit disappointed that this is happening as I love the car, but really don't like driving it at the moment because of the problem I have. Been putting air into the tyres twice a day. Is 36f and 40r about right for 19" mv4's??

Also, would anyone know on how I should deal with this if the dealer says they can't find anything
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
NH335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ya prob just something dumb.
I get bead seal leaks every once in while.
Even happened with brand new rims and tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Went down to national tyres this morning to get them to have a look at the tyre/wheel which is losing pressure and no locking wheel nut to be found anywhere. Looked under the boot floor where the spare wheel would have been, looked in the cubby hole on the left as you open the boot. Could only find the towing fitment and a small spanner which were in a little rolled up cover.

On my old e90 the locking nut used to be on the right as you look in the boot, is it different on e93's??

I'm getting rather tired of checking the pressure twice a day
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d
Went down to national tyres this morning to get them to have a look at the tyre/wheel which is losing pressure and no locking wheel nut to be found anywhere. Looked under the boot floor where the spare wheel would have been, looked in the cubby hole on the left as you open the boot. Could only find the towing fitment and a small spanner which were in a little rolled up cover.

On my old e90 the locking nut used to be on the right as you look in the boot, is it different on e93's??

I'm getting rather tired of checking the pressure twice a day
I rounded of my locking nut and got a replacement from bmw for £8 as one of the nuts had been tightened to way over 200 lb/ft the highest my torque wrench went, i ended up buying lockin wheel nut remover and using my 18v impact wrench to get it off
      02-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I rounded of my locking nut and got a replacement from bmw for £8 as one of the nuts had been tightened to way over 200 lb/ft the highest my torque wrench went, i ended up buying lockin wheel nut remover and using my 18v impact wrench to get it off
Only had it 8 days, can't go taking such drastic action yet lol I'll tough it out for the next couple of days and let BMW sort it out, it's in with them on Wednesday morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Only had it 8 days, can't go taking such drastic action yet lol I'll tough it out for the next couple of days and let BMW sort it out, it's in with them on Wednesday morning.
Oh no 100% i make you right taking it back i would do the same, get the locking wheel nut out of them for free aswel
      02-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
All sorted, it took 3 hours of sitting in the dealers waiting area, but we got there in the end. After an hour of waiting the sales guy I dealt with comes and tells me my car is on the way back and theres nothing the matter with it and all pressures are fine................., errrrrr no, the pressures are only fine as I have to reinflate the tyre that loses air before I travelled to the dealer,.he seemed surprised when I told him I have to do this 2 times a day every day for over a week, despite the fact I'd ttold him over the phone and via email. So off he went again and the car went back to the workshop, a couple of hours later he returns and tells me they have found the problem, a faulty valve, so for the time being all is good again and I also now have my mats in the car.

Really enjoyed my drive home from the dealers, no warning lights to annoy me which had been on since day 2 of me getting the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #17
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Hopefully it's sorted! Just paid £66 to have my cracked alloy welded.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30d 2018

Quote:
found the problem, a faulty valve.
I'm surprised that they didn't spot that at the tyre place - a bit of spit on the valve is the usual test to see if it bubbles.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
blues n twos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT coupe

Glad you got it all sorted mate
      02-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
-Ju-
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Did you find the locking bolt key?
On my E93 it's with the towing eye and screwdriver set in that little bag placed under the boot floor.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #21
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ju- View Post
Did you find the locking bolt key?
On my E93 it's with the towing eye and screwdriver set in that little bag placed under the boot floor.
Never found the locking bolt, they gave me the car without one, it's in the exact place yours is now though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #22
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
I'm surprised that they didn't spot that at the tyre place - a bit of spit on the valve is the usual test to see if it bubbles.

That's exactly what I thought, but I haven't been in the car since I came back from the dealer earlier this afternoon, I'm hoping they were right in their diagnosis
Appreciate 0