Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 Photos / Videos / Media

02-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d Xdrive 2010

BMW X1 23d Xdrive 2010 from Sweden

Hi,

This is only going to be a short introduction to my car with pictures, a lot of pictures. This is my third BMW so far.

The car is a BMW X1 23d Xdrive from late 2010. I bought the car in November 2013, when it had only done 3100km (1926mi), and it was in mint condition.
It´s almost fully loaded and the ride is very nice. This is the biggest diesel engine available at 2010 with 204hp/400Nm.
So far I´m very happy with the car.
The pictures is from this weekend, and that means winter costume here in Sweden. Hard to keep it clean for more than a couple of meters in this weather.

Summer setup are Style 323 rims. Pictures of those will come later.

This is what i came from before the X1:

BMW 330iA M-Sport Touring 2006. This was an exceptionally well equipped car with an amazing engine. I miss that engine and the ride, as well as the sound.

For more info about the E91, in swedish:
http://www.garaget.org/?car=255553

And before the 330 there was a smaller black one.

A Z3 2.8 Coupe from 1999. Amazing car.

For more info about the Z3, also in swedish:
http://www.garaget.org/?car=190177

Now to the X1:
And yes the license plate is phtoshopped
All pictures is shot with my small Canon 450d with 50mm f1.8 lens.

We´ll start with the exterior.

And now for some closeups

Winterrims, Starspoke 317, 17"

The winter dirt is optional…

And the interior:

If You wanna read more about the X1, in swedish, you can visit this link:
http://www.garaget.org/?car=350210

Hope you liked it.

/andreas.

Last edited by kaptenkirk; 02-03-2014 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
fredrik_wt
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d M

Nice one! I got same enegie, any plans for tune? Im thinking about SMO (svensk motoroptimering) it Will resultat in 260hp and 430nm. At is specifikes for 400nm, but they say 430 works....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Thanks, glad you liked it. I have no plans for the engine, I think it is ok as it is. After all it´s not that kind of car, the 204hp will do fine.
Are you satisfied with you´re M-sport so far?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Ah! Yet another ex-Coupe owner that is now a X1 owner. Looks great! The X1 seems to be a popular move for many of us!

Here was mine:

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Maybe that is the way to go after the Coupe
The smallest SAV, or SUV, what ever you prefer. The X1 is a nice car and big enough for us. I don´t think the X5/6 or even the X3 will fit my garage, so I have to have that in mind when buying a car. But hopefully soon I will get one more garage and then it´s maybe Coupe time again...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
fredrik_wt
Rep

We are really satisfied with the car, and the 23d is pretty much nicer then 20d, the best 4 cyl diesel I have try.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great photo's, strange that I like the X1 in grey with the stock raw black bumpers, was thinking it only worked in black or white for my taste.

The 17" rims looks very small on the X1 however but riding in snow you benefit from it I gues.

I have the same engine, xdrive and automatic gearbox.
It is a fun car to drive. Total different when you tune it however (even more fun, still not the wow factor on power), mine is on 260hp/470nm and gas respons is less lazy. I have the stock 18" rims and stock supsension, when I go for 0 to ..... the nose actualy come up a little in 1st, 2nd and 3th gear.

Here in Belgium you don't see much X1's with M pakket or 3,5i engine. Don't know how it it in your country.
With that power and only 1 exaust we really have a sleeper style kind of car.
Many people make the mistake.

How does the car perform in snow? Since many people think it a fake 4x4.
Have mine from oktober 2013 and she is from may 2010. Not actualy seen snow or ice (yet) this winter.

Have fun (and safety) with your baby SUV.
You see them alot (one's you or one of your friends drive one) but still it has a exclusif body. Ok, this is the X1 forum so all people here will think like that but we don't own the car for 6 months yet so for us it is still new.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
fredrik_wt
Rep

My X1 is as good as any of My old Subarus in snow and winter road, in Deep snow even better, X1 dont make spinning wheels with for exempel front right and rear left.

35i has never been sold in europe at all as I know... Im a bit scared for the life of the transmision, as I been told, the over limit is 400nm but 430 will be ok says the swedish tuners.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrik_wt View Post
My X1 is as good as any of My old Subarus in snow and winter road, in Deep snow even better, X1 dont make spinning wheels with for exempel front right and rear left.

35i has never been sold in europe at all as I know... Im a bit scared for the life of the transmision, as I been told, the over limit is 400nm but 430 will be ok says the swedish tuners.

Nice to hear the X1 is a beast in the snow, seen the photo's in the other topic as well. I get the feeling a X1 loves snow.

400nm is stock.
Alpina, Schnitzer,... the bigger known BMW tuners that give nice garanty (on the website they promote it) they go from 200hp/400nm (on average, on the rolls you got other values then on paper) up to 235-250hp/440-450nm so they hold it very very safe.

A good tuner will get it up to 250-270hp/450-490nm. Much depends what your car is performing stock, if the exaust/DPF is changed or not, wil they pussy out a keep on the safe safe side, will they max out and risc it or wil they put it safe on a clean tune with ideal poweroutput.

Power isn't the problem but as mention torque is. Some say 500nm is the maximum, other say 490 is high but 480 is no problem at all for heavy and long safe use.

However, the 23d is still kind a unique for tuners, even the one's that know what they're doing and did the engine before are stil suprised when they see the car perform before, during and after chip tuning on the rolls.
(Twin-turbo make's a nice linair torque output, max values don't count alone.)

Alot of crap tuner out there so whatch out, but if you're happy like it is just keep it like that.
I wasn't totaly happy with the engine/car so it only made it better. My 1st idea was to get it around or over 300hp and around 600nm (budget was 3000 euro for engine tuning) but then I got the sad news the gearbox wouldn't take it.

Never knew the 3,5i wasn't sold in Europe, the facelift has the 25d (oure engine a little bit changed, I think 218hp?) and the 2.8i (2l petrol 4 piston bi-turbo 240hp). Nice to know, then I will have the fasted X1 around here.

Last edited by BeemerX1; 02-09-2014 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
fredrik_wt
Rep

I got an answear about the gearbox from a member of the Swedish bmw forum. He send an email to ZF (producer of the gearbox) and they actually answear, and told him that they guarantee its function for 450nm.

In my opinion; its no problem to take out Power, to make the Power curve driveble is the problem. I just viewed a MB person talking about the new A45 AMG 2.0l 360hp - he just said to take out more Power is not a problem, the problem is to make the car work well througe the register, you dont want all Power at 7000 rpm cause most of the time you want drive like that.

About the X1 28 (with 2.0l turbo 245hp) that one was what I was looking for, but its really rare in sweden, Close to all sold cars in X1 is diesel
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrik_wt
We are really satisfied with the car, and the 23d is pretty much nicer then 20d, the best 4 cyl diesel I have try.
Glad to hear that you also like you're car. I have only driven the 320d touring before so this is the only "big" diesel I have tried, and I also think it is great.

The 116d and 118d is to small to compare, and this a whole other thing
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1
Great photo's, strange that I like the X1 in grey with the stock raw black bumpers, was thinking it only worked in black or white for my taste.

The 17" rims looks very small on the X1 however but riding in snow you benefit from it I gues.

I have the same engine, xdrive and automatic gearbox.
It is a fun car to drive. Total different when you tune it however (even more fun, still not the wow factor on power), mine is on 260hp/470nm and gas respons is less lazy. I have the stock 18" rims and stock supsension, when I go for 0 to ..... the nose actualy come up a little in 1st, 2nd and 3th gear.

Here in Belgium you don't see much X1's with M pakket or 3,5i engine. Don't know how it it in your country.
With that power and only 1 exaust we really have a sleeper style kind of car.
Many people make the mistake.

How does the car perform in snow? Since many people think it a fake 4x4.
Have mine from oktober 2013 and she is from may 2010. Not actualy seen snow or ice (yet) this winter.

Have fun (and safety) with your baby SUV.
You see them alot (one's you or one of your friends drive one) but still it has a exclusif body. Ok, this is the X1 forum so all people here will think like that but we don't own the car for 6 months yet so for us it is still new.
Thanks. Yes the 17" are small, but as wintersetup they are ok. The car accually looks better in real life then i pictures with the 17" rims.

The power is enough for what I need in everyday driving, so I won't tune it. It's still quick

In snow I think it preforms very well, it's stable and feels safe, AND it it is very fun to drive. That is a good combination.

When I started to consider the X1 I also saw them everywher, but still it feels special. Would have loved the M-Sport, but they where hard to get with all the extras I wanted

Last edited by kaptenkirk; 02-10-2014 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

This is how the car will look when it´s getting warmer

Picture is from the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #14
fredrik_wt
Rep

A, I was looking at that one too! but I wasent fast enough, it was for sale for about SEK 299 or something Close to that?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #15
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
A, I was looking at that one too! but I wasent fast enough, it was for sale for about SEK 299 or something Close to that?
Yes that was the asking price, and we had to pay extra for the 17" winter tiers as well, but we traded in our E91 and the final price was ok.
The same dealer had a white X1 2.0d M-sport to, but sold that some weeks before we decided to trade in our E91. He had this silver one for a while to, don´t remember now if he lowered the price before we bought it or not…
But when we decided it went fast
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
fredrik_wt
Rep

I Think it was lowered, as I remember it was out for sale for 329k Before, and at the same time UCARS exclusive had a with one with kind of same options for 339k. How ever I thought both of them was to expensive, but when they lower it I was thinking about it and when I decided to call - it was sold...

But I found my 23d M-sport in wihte and 41500 km (4150 mil) for 294k and 290 after dealing - and I also hade to buy Winter tires so 299 in the end.

The photos from the dealer:

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

If we going to hijack this treat I will spam my pictures as well.

Most picture are from the BMW dealer where I bought the car as Premium Selection so I have guaranty all over the country (not sure all over Europe).
On the outside not much have changed.

I asked the dealer to de-badge the “X1” on the rear and the “xdrive23d” on the sides. Ugly yellow light from the Angel Eye’s and the fog lights are now nice white (as the full interior is made white led's as well instead of the ugly outdated yellow), good thing is that the leds in the door handles are stock white colour.

Still to come is a Bilstein (Eibach) B12 Prokit what lowers the car 30mm. Putting on 20” rims for summer with non RFT tires and wil keep my 18” stock rims for the winter with RFT winter tires.
(Note to myself, still need to buy a tire repair kit and a rim stand tree for the not used rim set.)

I know they’re pretty expensive. Much difference with a 1 series and there’s only a very little gap with the 3 series or even the X3. Mine is from 2010 with a price of 54K Euro (start price back then was 38KEuro and bought it October 2013 for 27k.

Just seen a X1 2.0i in the show room (facelift already) with 0km’s but price reduction due to stock model and it has a price tag of 27K, almost no option at all but it has a double tailpipe for it immense 184hp.

Still, the engine, xdrive, AT, … and all the options are worth it. I love that moon roof! All the other stuff like heated seats are considered already as normal.

Things I sometimes miss are ‘easy entrance/keyless go’ and the M-pakket, you hardly find M-pakket X1’s here, if there where I would probably bought a white one instead of a black one, it is to camouflage the raw black bumpers.

I would only trade my car in for a Mercedes GLA 4.5 AMG(it is a 2l engine petrol) or X4/X6 (with very big engine, sucks for taxes but the heavy weight of the car needs it). I have the money but then again life is more than a car alone (and you don’t need to raid your bank account) so I will spend that money on other things in the future.

About the tuning and gearbox, it didn’t run smooth on the 1st setup, my output was +-265hp/480nm but it was like this: In all gear but the worst in 4th it ticked 5000-5300rpm, stuck there for 1-3 second before changing gear. Not healthy at all, it is a diesel!

They changed the tuning a little and reduced a bit and runs smooth on +- 260/470 now where throttle response and changing gears is much faster then stock. So I can believe if you say ZF guaranties 450nm and that will be the reason that Alpina and co keep it on the ‘sissy’ safe side. Tuner told me my X1 didn’t needed to be a shame to follow (couldn't keep up ofc) he’s tuned E9x 330d.

Need to take other picture's, for sure when I got my 20" rims and sport suspension but even before. Friends have a Mercedes CLA (AMG look), Audi A3 (S look), F30 320d Touring with M pakket, TT convirtible,... plenty of car's to ask for a shoot with baby BMW SUV.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I Think it was lowered, as I remember it was out for sale for 329k Before, and at the same time UCARS exclusive had a with one with kind of same options for 339k. How ever I thought both of them was to expensive, but when they lower it I was thinking about it and when I decided to call - it was sold...

But I found my 23d M-sport in wihte and 41500 km (4150 mil) for 294k and 290 after dealing - and I also hade to buy Winter tires so 299 in the end.

The photos from the dealer:
This is actually quite funny, because I looked at your car after i had bought mine
I wanted the M-Sport, but wanted lower milage and so on, could´t find the right car at the moment when we where looking. And i hade to consider the possibility to trade in my old car as well. I got a good price on the one i bought so it was an easy pic in the end.
And because I wanted the Professional Navigation and PDC, front and back, and a lot of other things, the chooses where slim...
I miss the electric seats, Harman-Kardon sound and comfort access.

Your car is very nice, and the M-Sport in white is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Haha, small (BMW) world if you where looking for the same car.
In white with M-pakket is is really nice yeah.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Found 2 extra pics of mods.
Angel Eye's: 1 side done, 1 side still to do
Motortuning output: power/torque curve and output numbers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #21
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1 View Post
If we going to hijack this treat I will spam my pictures as well.

Most picture are from the BMW dealer where I bought the car as Premium Selection so I have guaranty all over the country (not sure all over Europe).
On the outside not much have changed.

I asked the dealer to de-badge the “X1” on the rear and the “xdrive23d” on the sides. Ugly yellow light from the Angel Eye’s and the fog lights are now nice white (as the full interior is made white led's as well instead of the ugly outdated yellow), good thing is that the leds in the door handles are stock white colour.

Still to come is a Bilstein (Eibach) B12 Prokit what lowers the car 30mm. Putting on 20” rims for summer with non RFT tires and wil keep my 18” stock rims for the winter with RFT winter tires.
(Note to myself, still need to buy a tire repair kit and a rim stand tree for the not used rim set.)

I know they’re pretty expensive. Much difference with a 1 series and there’s only a very little gap with the 3 series or even the X3. Mine is from 2010 with a price of 54K Euro (start price back then was 38KEuro and bought it October 2013 for 27k.

Just seen a X1 2.0i in the show room (facelift already) with 0km’s but price reduction due to stock model and it has a price tag of 27K, almost no option at all but it has a double tailpipe for it immense 184hp.

Still, the engine, xdrive, AT, … and all the options are worth it. I love that moon roof! All the other stuff like heated seats are considered already as normal.

Things I sometimes miss are ‘easy entrance/keyless go’ and the M-pakket, you hardly find M-pakket X1’s here, if there where I would probably bought a white one instead of a black one, it is to camouflage the raw black bumpers.

I would only trade my car in for a Mercedes GLA 4.5 AMG(it is a 2l engine petrol) or X4/X6 (with very big engine, sucks for taxes but the heavy weight of the car needs it). I have the money but then again life is more than a car alone (and you don’t need to raid your bank account) so I will spend that money on other things in the future.

About the tuning and gearbox, it didn’t run smooth on the 1st setup, my output was +-265hp/480nm but it was like this: In all gear but the worst in 4th it ticked 5000-5300rpm, stuck there for 1-3 second before changing gear. Not healthy at all, it is a diesel!

They changed the tuning a little and reduced a bit and runs smooth on +- 260/470 now where throttle response and changing gears is much faster then stock. So I can believe if you say ZF guaranties 450nm and that will be the reason that Alpina and co keep it on the ‘sissy’ safe side. Tuner told me my X1 didn’t needed to be a shame to follow (couldn't keep up ofc) he’s tuned E9x 330d.

Need to take other picture's, for sure when I got my 20" rims and sport suspension but even before. Friends have a Mercedes CLA (AMG look), Audi A3 (S look), F30 320d Touring with M pakket, TT convirtible,... plenty of car's to ask for a shoot with baby BMW SUV.

It´s ok to spam pics

The X1 always looks good in black, but I have owned one black car before, and I have never washed a car as much They look great when clean, but they get dirty sooooo fast

Your summer plans sounds great, 20" rims and new dampers, sounds fun. going to be interesting to see that.

I think exactly the same as you regarding options on a car, I could have bought almost a new 1.8d without any options at the same price… But it just isn´t worth it

Not spending everything on a car sounds smart, but they shire are fun things to spend money on… And easy to spend money on.
But there is a number of cars that could replace the X1, but i think it will be a slightly bigger car, like the X3 or the F11 5-series.

Glad to hear your tune went well, and nice that the car feels more responsive in gear changing.

Get out there and get rid of the cold and snow and put on them 20´s
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #22
kaptenkirk
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1 View Post
Haha, small (BMW) world if you where looking for the same car.
In white with M-pakket is is really nice yeah.
It´s easy to search all the cars for sale in the whole of sweden at the same time, so that is why, if your looking for a specific car, the amount of cars that are interesting is low...
Appreciate 0