E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car got smacked again last night.

02-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i 2006 Coupe

Car got smacked again last night.

Woke this morning to find the passenger door and rear panel smacked in.
Network Rail were carrying out work again through the night and low loaders backing into the road from midnight.

This is the second time it's happened while the railway workers were here. No note, no nothing.

Last time one of the neighbours witnessed the truck clipping my car. Network Rail blamed a sub-contractor but the sub-contractor "had no record" of any of their drivers in the area at the time.

I've complained, but we shall see if it does any good.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

I hate when this happens.... Just no common decency these days. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci

Sorry to hear this and hope you get sorted without having to put your hand in your pocket, too many dishonest people out there
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the sympathy guys.

Makes me so angry that some people lack the manners to apologise and take responsibility for their mistakes.

15 or 20 years ago this would have shocked people. So sad that it's a common situation these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
mattchubb1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330i SE, E30 325iSE

Ah nooooo!

This is properly annoying when this happens! My mates 06 plate gti got side swipped by the rear of a John Lewis truck... Luckily someone saw it happen and told him.... But yeah John Lewis said they had no notes about it happening....luckily he kept on at hem and eventually he got it fixed

But more I've and hassle to deal with it...ontop of everyday problems is not what you want
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #6
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

In Germany

In Germany, where things seem to work and laws seem sensible, hitting a parked car then leaving the scene is hit and run and carries serious penalties. Anyone hitting a parked/unoccupied car would normally report it to the police. or even wait for the owner to return so they can swap details. Any hit and run with a witness will be pursued by the police through the courts

In the UK there is a huge level of ignorance about consequences of actions and moral values seem to be treated by a significant section of the population as something for fools
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #7
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
In Germany, where things seem to work and laws seem sensible, hitting a parked car then leaving the scene is hit and run and carries serious penalties. Anyone hitting a parked/unoccupied car would normally report it to the police. or even wait for the owner to return so they can swap details. Any hit and run with a witness will be pursued by the police through the courts

In the UK there is a huge level of ignorance about consequences of actions and moral values seem to be treated by a significant section of the population as something for fools
I totally agree.

We've become a nation that takes no personal responsibility for our actions. It's happened over the last 2 generations somehow.
I think it's a symptom of the Nanny state deciding that if someone breaks a rule or a law we should give them a big hug rather than a slap.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
90MSP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejog View Post
I totally agree.

We've become a nation that takes no personal responsibility for our actions. It's happened over the last 2 generations somehow.
I think it's a symptom of the Nanny state deciding that if someone breaks a rule or a law we should give them a big hug rather than a slap.
Absolutely agree, maybe a symptom of successive Labour governments?..... damn i'm getting all political... stop it me !
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 05:49 AM   #9
BMblack
COBBY
England
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 325i Convertible

Garage List
I've been in this situation mate, a week after buying my Renault Trafic van. Got up for work,went out to my van to find the rear panel stoved in with a big gouge in it and the bumper hanging off!
I then noticed a lorry delivering fence panels that had reversed up my neighbours drive. He saw me looking at the damage and immediately looked away when we made eye contact. It then became obvious that the driver would have had a difficult job manoeuvring his lorry to get it up the drive with all the vehicles parked on the road. So I was sure he was the one who had caused it.
So I rang the police and told them about the damage and was sure it was this lorry but because I didn't see it happen they said there was nothing they could do. Even though I said that if I measured from the road surface up to the point of the gouge it would have been the exact same height of the bolt on the flatbed that I was sure caused the damage. I was told there could if been another flatbed around that morning that could of done it.
Anyway, I took a couple of pics of the damage and emailed the company telling them that a neighbour had seen his driver hit my vehicle and that I had spoken to the police and had an incident number and they had told me to contact him and if he was forthcoming with the drivers details etc then they wouldn't take any further action.
He subsequently contacted me after speaking to his driver,who said 'he may have done it but if he did he didn't realise. (Which to me, translates to 'yes, I done it but thought I'd got away it) and we came to an arrangement to take it to an accident repair garage and he paid for the damage to be repaired.
A simple case of calling his bluff which worked for me, so maybe you should give it a go, what have you got to lose?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMblack
I've been in this situation mate, a week after buying my Renault Trafic van. Got up for work,went out to my van to find the rear panel stoved in with a big gouge in it and the bumper hanging off!
I then noticed a lorry delivering fence panels that had reversed up my neighbours drive. He saw me looking at the damage and immediately looked away when we made eye contact. It then became obvious that the driver would have had a difficult job manoeuvring his lorry to get it up the drive with all the vehicles parked on the road. So I was sure he was the one who had caused it.
So I rang the police and told them about the damage and was sure it was this lorry but because I didn't see it happen they said there was nothing they could do. Even though I said that if I measured from the road surface up to the point of the gouge it would have been the exact same height of the bolt on the flatbed that I was sure caused the damage. I was told there could if been another flatbed around that morning that could of done it.
Anyway, I took a couple of pics of the damage and emailed the company telling them that a neighbour had seen his driver hit my vehicle and that I had spoken to the police and had an incident number and they had told me to contact him and if he was forthcoming with the drivers details etc then they wouldn't take any further action.
He subsequently contacted me after speaking to his driver,who said 'he may have done it but if he did he didn't realise. (Which to me, translates to 'yes, I done it but thought I'd got away it) and we came to an arrangement to take it to an accident repair garage and he paid for the damage to be repaired.
A simple case of calling his bluff which worked for me, so maybe you should give it a go, what have you got to lose?
Good advice and I was already on it.

I'm like a dog with a bone when the victim of something like this. I've got photos of the ridiculous flatbeds they keep driving up the road. Recordings of the pneumatic drills etc that have been going all day. Maps, statements from neighbours. Health and safety issues photographed.

When I'm done they'll be lucky not to get locked up.

Their ass is grass, and I'm a lawnmower!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
BMblack
COBBY
England
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 325i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:

I'm like a dog with a bone when the victim of something like this. I've got photos of the ridiculous flatbeds they keep driving up the road. Recordings of the pneumatic drills etc that have been going all day. Maps, statements from neighbours. Health and safety issues photographed.

Well Good Luck! I hope you get a result.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMblack
Quote:

Well Good Luck! I hope you get a result.
Thanks

I think it's unlikely to be honest, but I'm so angry that I have to do something.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 03:56 AM   #13
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Hope you reach resolution on this, some people need to learn respect for other peoples property and own up ... t055ers
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Pics of the damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Ouch, unlucky worse than mine as that will definitely need paint!

Best of luck, but honestly, suck it up and repair, it's bullshit but only way it will be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I know, those scratches are deep.
Think I got hit by a tungsten hedgehog!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote in from bodyshop.
£4,700.00

Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #18
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Try getting a quote from a bodyshop that aren't fucking mental.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci

Kin ell that's piss poor pricing
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Try getting a quote from a bodyshop that aren't fucking mental.
LOL. Exactly this!

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #21
Jamie_E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i think he means £470, surley no bodyshop in the right mind would charge 5k for a rear quarter & a door.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #22
Ejog
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol,
And there was me thinking "it'll buff out"

They are a very good bodyshop, the work they did on my Mrs Boxster was impressive.

Approved by BMW, Aston Martin, Porsche etc etc.

Still, it was a tad higher than I expected.
Appreciate 0