F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Misgivings...(less so now.....)
Studio RSR

01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Misgivings...(less so now.....)

Chaps, some advice please...

A week in, and I'm having serious second thoughts about my F31. There's a few minor niggles which are one thing, but there's a couple of bigger issues I'm struggling with. For one, the back seat is a joke. I have two isofit seats in for the kids and that means there's not a chance in hell of getting a 5th person in the car. The placement if the isofit anchors really restricts the flexibility of the back seat. I don't often need space for 3 in the back, but in an ideal world, it's an option I would like.

Secondly, I'm really struggling to get comfortable in it. I'm 6'4" tall and 16 stone. If I put the seat where I think it should be, two things happen; I'm left with about a 4 inch legroom for back seat passengers but even worse, I get cramp in my right leg quite badly. I've tried numerous positions and none if them are working for me. The resultant lack of rear legroom just makes things worse...

I know what you're going to say, I should have spotted these things on my test drive. I agree, but I didn't. Now I'm getting pretty stressed that I've done the wrong thing getting the 3 series when I should have probably gone for a 5 series instead.

A guy at work suggested I speak with the dealer and see if he can be of any help. To be honest, if it comes to me needing to swap it for a 5 I can only see one winners, and it isn't me.

Anyone got any advice?

Last edited by nordberg; 02-01-2014 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Not really sure what advice we can give, its a car of fixed dimensions. However even my F10 is pretty tight for 3 in the back and similar to F30 if you had 2 ISOFIX seats you could forget using the middle seat. If you're using ISOFIX cars not sure why you need legroom also?

Don't worry try to enjoy it....way too late to change now without ma££I've costs. I think everyone has a slight dip in expectations vs delivery in the early days especially once the payments kick in but give it some time.
      01-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

OK watch the following video and setup your seat as guided:

I am 6ft, 3 and have no issues the video help me sort out my driving position, i always positioned the seat really low and had a problems initially:

Quote:
I'm left with about a 4 inch legroom for back seat passengers but even worse
My opinion on this is that the smallest person must sit behind the driver, you should not be compromising on your driving position to accommodate the rear passenger, if they are uncomfortable tough luck.

Last edited by Xplosiv166; 01-30-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

The 5 is definitely bigger and more comfortable to be sitting in. But everyone swears by how boring it is to drive in comparison to the 3..

I know how you feel about the rear seats and the ISOFIX anchors positioning, BMW could have pushed them abit further to the door, however another way of looking at it, is that your babies are further away from the door thus safer and also away from the curtain airbags..

Finding a comfortable seat position is very difficult sometimes, especially if you have manual seat adjustment.. With electric you can save different positions and trial them out.. But whichever you have, if you put your head with it, surely you can find a good position

Rear facing car seats take up more space than those facing frontwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

That's a tough one. Really not sure there is much to say about the back seats.. they are what they are, and getting 1 adult and 2 childrens seats in most cars would be tough I would imagine?

The seat comfort may be something you can resolve though... forgetting the room behind you, can you identify exactly what is causing the discomfort, in particular the cramp?

The biggest issue I have is that when on cruise control or just sitting in the car, my natural leg position (right leg) is leaning against the door handle, which I find uncomfortable! Two reasons - firstly it's relatively sharp at the angle I'm leaning against, and secondly as it's aluminium then it's cold! I'm going to fashion a little pad for it somehow.

Beyond that, all I can think is whether a 5 series or X3 perhaps would be better, though not really all that helpful I grant you.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
ewanmac
Captain
Rep
Drives: m140i

A friend of mine bought a 5Gt for these very reasons and can actually get three car seats across the back. Heaps of legroom also. But it's a munter of a car to look at.
      01-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5 View Post
Not really sure what advice we can give, its a car of fixed dimensions. However even my F10 is pretty tight for 3 in the back and similar to F30 if you had 2 ISOFIX seats you could forget using the middle seat. If you're using ISOFIX cars not sure why you need legroom also?

Don't worry try to enjoy it....way too late to change now without ma££I've costs. I think everyone has a slight dip in expectations vs delivery in the early days especially once the payments kick in but give it some time.
Seriously? You can't get anyone in the middle if you've got two isofit seats in?

I've come from a Mazda 6 and we could fit both our kids and my niece in the back. I wouldn't say overly comfortably, but they fit...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys...Perhaps I'm making too much of it, but it's really stressing me that I might have made the wrong choice.... Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car and the engine is incredible, but I'm feeling really antsy...

What do you think my options will be with the dealer? I can only think they will sting me in a big way unless they're really desperate to move some F10s at the moment....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Seriously? You can't get anyone in the middle if you've got two isofit seats in?

I've come from a Mazda 6 and we could fit both our kids and my niece in the back. I wouldn't say overly comfortably, but they fit...
Perhaps it's related somehow to the central tunnel needed for RWD, compared to a FWD it's going to have to some effect. That doesn't help you I know... but would be same in a 5 saloon.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
OK watch the following video and setup your seat as guided:

I am 6ft, 3 and have no issues the video help me sort out my driving position, i always positioned the seat really low and had a problems initially:

My opinion on this is that the smallest person must sit behind the driver, you should not be compromising on your driving position to accommodate the rear passenger, if they are uncomfortable tough luck.

Thanks for that! Apart from taking me back to my roots (grew up in the Deep South!), I actually found it really useful and I'll try some of that advice tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

We get two child seats and an adult on the back seat. It is a bit tight but okay once everyone gets strapped in. We've done a 2hr journey like this. Admittedly these are not Isofix seats.

On the odd occasion when you have 5 people in the car can you not have the two child seats strapped in via seatbelts rather than Isofix?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
We get two child seats and an adult on the back seat. It is a bit tight but okay once everyone gets strapped in. We've done a 2hr journey like this. Admittedly these are not Isofix seats.

On the odd occasion when you have 5 people in the car can you not have the two child seats strapped in via seatbelts rather than Isofix?
It's an idea, and one I'd thought of already. It's an option I suppose..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Of course the dealers will swap it for you but unfortunately that will cost you. You can't blame the dealers for that.
It sounds like your mind is made up so just swallow the extra few grand and change, simples!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Of course the dealers will swap it for you but unfortunately that will cost you. You can't blame the dealers for that.
It sounds like your mind is made up so just swallow the extra few grand and change, simples!
Far from it.... I really don't want the hassle of changing... Or the cost...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:

A week in, and I'm having serious second thoughts about my F31. There's a few minor niggles which are one thing, but there's a couple of bigger issues I'm struggling with. For one, the back seat is a joke. I have two isofit seats in for the kids and that means there's not a chance in hell of getting a 5th person in the car. The placement if the isofit anchors really restricts the flexibility of the back seat. I don't often need space for 3 in the back, but in an ideal world, it's an option I would like.

Secondly, I'm really struggling to get comfortable in it. I'm 6'4" tall and 16 stone. If I put the seat where I think it should be, two things happen; I'm left with about a 4 inch legroom for back seat passengers but even worse, I get cramp in my right leg quite badly. I've tried numerous positions and none if them are working for me. The resultant lack of rear legroom just makes things worse...

I know what you're going to say, I should have spotted these things on my test drive. I agree, but I didn't. Now I'm getting pretty stressed that I've done the wrong thing getting the 3 series when I should have probably gone for a 5 series instead.

A guy at work suggested I speak with the dealer and see if he can be of any help. To be honest, if it comes to me needing to swap it for a 5 I can only see one winners, and it isn't me.

Anyone got any advice?
Oh dear.

I am 6'1" and 62 kg (10 stone 4 lbs). I have never been so comfortable in a car. However, there is not enough room in the back for another 6' person let alone a smaller and shorter one, IMO. You need an MPV or SUV not a compact executive and not a family car. Basically, for your height and weight you need a bigger vehicle.

So you can do one of 2 things: (1) Chop 6" off your legs and become a bit shorter, (2) Buy a much bigger car.

Did you not 'try before you buy'?
      01-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
Chrishumes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d xdrive

What about putting kid in the front? Not sure what the rules are now. We strap the child in with seatbelt, and there's room for 3, but it is a small car end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I think I've come to the conclusion that:

1.) I need to work on my driving position. This, in turn, may well help the back seat passenger leg room issue.

2.) In the rare event that I need a third back seat passenger, I will need to shuffle things about a bit. That might entail strapping the seats in rather than using the isofix, or perhaps putting one of the kids in the front in their seats. Also, my daughter will be graduating to a booster in the not so distant future so that should free some space up.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. Maybe I'm just having "a moment"....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Never tried it with ISOFIX...but then I didn't need it. Still a squeeze for 3 in the back but yes they fit.
      01-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
putting one of the kids in the front in their seats.
I have 3 kids and when all 5 of us need to get in the car, we find the best solution is to put one kid in the front and have an adult in the middle of the rear seat. Its a hassle getting in and out but okay once everyone is strapped in.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

Anyone got any advice?
Sounds like you need an X5!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Missing the GT? Could it be an option for extra space given it's slightly wider?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #22
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

In regards to driving position the only things I've noticed are; the brake pedal seems to be really high so that I need to lift my foot almost to an uncomfortable angle to get on to the brake. Obviously if I repositioned my foot it would be OK but I should just be able to rotate my foot in order to switch between brake and throttle. There's quite a big difference in height.

Also, I'm finding it hard to get comfortable whilst being able to fully see the part of the black panel display that shows which radio station your on. I've adjusted the height of the wheel etc but still not ideal. I have also found that the driver window ledge is quite high so it's uncomfortable to rest my arm on it whilst steering.

Maybe I just need to raise my seat? I like the feel of being low in the car. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0