E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bluetooth and Android Kitkat

01-24-2014, 03:27 AM   #1
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 325i M-Sport Coupe

Bluetooth and Android Kitkat

Anyone having any issues with Bluetooth integration with their car and steering wheel controls, transfer of contacts to radio, etc... on Android Kitkat?

Prior Androids (Nexus S, Moto Defy+) before kitkat all connected, however my wife's Nexus 5 and my Moto G connect however contacts don't transfer and steering controls are intermittent.

Having paired multiple times now I seem to have at last gotten the answer button working on the steering wheel although it won't hang up the call. However contacts still don't transfer to radio, so unless you know the number calling by heart your guessing.

From reading around seems to more of an Android OS issue than car software?
      01-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
RobCrezz
Private
Rep
Drives: G02 X4 20d

I have a Nexus 5 and it works fine on my E92. Have you checked the phone is fully up to date? There have been a couple of updates since release of kitkat.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

I also have the Nexus 5 and i have no issues at all, connects fine and all contacts transfer fine. Have you have a software update recently? if not that might be an option, just tell the dealers that your sat nav keeps freezing and going slow etc..... they usually do a software update for free.

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #4
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
I was using a Moto G for the last couple of weeks and now switched to a Nexus 4, both running kit Kat and both connected and operated fine in the car.

Only issue is failing to recognise the 7 separate numbers I have for the wife (all under the one Google contact) but I had that same issue with my old phone (s2 running jelly bean).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
MrBen
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 LCI 325i SE

I've been having probs with my Bluetooth lately, but hadn't linked it to Kitkat until now.

Mine isn't BMW Bluetooth, it's an aftermarket Parrot kit, but I've only noticed the problems since upgrading my Nexus 4 to Kitkat. I wonder if there is an issue with the latest OS, rather than it being an issue with the Bluetooth system.

Symptoms sound very similar - controls being very slow to react (causing me to miss calls at times), difficulty accessing contacts etc.

I'll have to try with another phone when I get a chance.

2009 E90 LCI 325i SE
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
HouseN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 coupe

iPhone problem solved
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCrezz View Post
I have a Nexus 5 and it works fine on my E92. Have you checked the phone is fully up to date? There have been a couple of updates since release of kitkat.
Yes it is up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_power View Post
I also have the Nexus 5 and i have no issues at all, connects fine and all contacts transfer fine. Have you have a software update recently? if not that might be an option, just tell the dealers that your sat nav keeps freezing and going slow etc..... they usually do a software update for free.
I don't have i-drive but will look into getting the software checked to see how out of date I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a11y View Post
I was using a Moto G for the last couple of weeks and now switched to a Nexus 4, both running kit Kat and both connected and operated fine in the car.

Only issue is failing to recognise the 7 separate numbers I have for the wife (all under the one Google contact) but I had that same issue with my old phone (s2 running jelly bean).
Thanks, sounding like car software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
I've been having probs with my Bluetooth lately, but hadn't linked it to Kitkat until now.

Mine isn't BMW Bluetooth, it's an aftermarket Parrot kit, but I've only noticed the problems since upgrading my Nexus 4 to Kitkat. I wonder if there is an issue with the latest OS, rather than it being an issue with the Bluetooth system.

Symptoms sound very similar - controls being very slow to react (causing me to miss calls at times), difficulty accessing contacts etc.

I'll have to try with another phone when I get a chance.
Does sound similar alright. Is your parrot software up to date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseN54 View Post
iPhone problem solved
No thanks...
      01-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Quote:

After me posting that earlier I had a strange anomaly on my way home from work tonight: iDrive with bluetooth, Nexus 4 on Kitkat...

Connected fine but wouldn't display phone book. When trying to access the A-Z contacts list it displayed the 'please wait...' message. Still hadn't displayed my contacts 20mins later by the time I arrived home. It was only an hour after when I first checked my phone in the house I found a message on the screen asking if I wanted my car to be permitted to access the address book. Of course I said yes. Just been out to the car to test and it's working fine now.

Just something for others to check if they're having issues.
      01-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
After me posting that earlier I had a strange anomaly on my way home from work tonight: iDrive with bluetooth, Nexus 4 on Kitkat...

Connected fine but wouldn't display phone book. When trying to access the A-Z contacts list it displayed the 'please wait...' message. Still hadn't displayed my contacts 20mins later by the time I arrived home. It was only an hour after when I first checked my phone in the house I found a message on the screen asking if I wanted my car to be permitted to access the address book. Of course I said yes. Just been out to the car to test and it's working fine now.

Just something for others to check if they're having issues.
Yeah those are some of the symptoms I am experiencing also, and since upgrading to kitkat I am yet to get the message on the phone to permit access to contacts. Prior to Kitkat upgrade on the MotoG I did get the contacts access message but it was after a few trips in the car, not sure what controls or triggers that?

I am trying to get the software levels checked in the car this weekend, will see what that shows.
      01-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am having issues. My contacts will not come in 99% of the time. Sometimes I get one contact to show up. I am allowing the Bluetooth to have access to my phone. This started happening with Kitkat. I think it is a kitkat issue. I have the new Droid Maxx. I tried this with my wife phone Droid Ultra and the same thing. It worked fine with my old droid maxx hd. I have paired and repaired many times and still the same thing. I even did a factory reset and the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #11
mr p-j
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 xd

i also have problems, xperia z1 compakt.

bluetooth worked fine untill 4.4.2 update.
now it connekts fine first time i pair it whit the car. after first restart of the car the connektion does not work anymore.

everything was fine before updateing the phone.

i have spoken to sony support and bmw support in sweden about this....

please contakt the support of your phone manufacture, pushing them to make another update!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #12
ahenners
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport LCI

I have a Sony Z1 which was upgraded to KitKat a week ago. No issues so far. Been able to see contacts in car, make calls no problem, read SMS, and stream music. Car is a 2010 Lci if that makes a difference
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #13
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

i have a 2008 e92 and have had troubles trying to sync my contacts to the idrive with the google nexus 5 (kitkat 4.4.2) I can get about 6 contacts to show up on idrive and thats it. I have tried numerous times to un pair and pair (allowing ful access) but no joy

so will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there is a workaround
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I have a Galaxy Note 3 with problems since 4.2.2:

If I try to send a txt message when connected to the car BT I get a message on the phone "Bluetooth Share has stopped working" or similar, then it has to resync contacts

If I make or receive a call in the car I no longer get the caller's name displayed on the Pro Nav, just the number, very annoying

Last week I wanted to navigate to a contact & there were no 'Navigation Contacts' - I had phone contacts without addresses but nothing in Navigation. I deleted pairing and started again but still nothing - I was eventually able to get the address from Office / Contacts but it was a long winded way of doing it.

I haven't tried the steering wheel buttons lately so can't comment on them
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
mr p-j
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenners View Post
I have a Sony Z1 which was upgraded to KitKat a week ago. No issues so far. Been able to see contacts in car, make calls no problem, read SMS, and stream music. Car is a 2010 Lci if that makes a difference
my car is -06
it has a older type of bluetooth then yours i think. i canīt streem music at al.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:13 AM   #16
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Kitkat 4.4.3 is on the way which I believe includes a number of bluetooth fixes which I am hoping will resolve this.

Additionally I think having the bluetooth module software updated in the car would address this also but I have not gotten around to having that checked to see how out of date it is. I might try to do have it looked into soon, have been putting it on the long finger.

Last edited by eddiem74; 04-30-2014 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #17
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiem74 View Post
Kitkat 4.4.3 is on the way which I believe includes a number of bluetooth fixes which I am hoping will resolve this.

Additionally I think having the bluetooth module software updated in the car would address this also but I have not gotten around to having that checked to see how out of date it is. I might try to do have it looked into soon, have been putting it on the long finger.
There are only a limited number of very late model phones that are likely to be updated with 4.3.3, luckily for me the Note 3 seems to be amongst them, but we'll only know for sure if/when we eventually get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #18
ahenners
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr p-j View Post
my car is -06
it has a older type of bluetooth then yours i think. i canīt streem music at al.
You need Combox for this, which only came late 2010 I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #19
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
There are only a limited number of very late model phones that are likely to be updated with 4.4.3, luckily for me the Note 3 seems to be amongst them, but we'll only know for sure if/when we eventually get it.
Yes but this appears an issue with Kitkat so as the 4.4.3 update is for Kitkat I assume most of those users will get the update.

Last edited by eddiem74; 04-30-2014 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #20
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Had the software in the car updated yesterday, turns out it was never updated since it left the factory. All bluetooth issues now resolved.
Attached Images

05-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #21
ahenners
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to see that it has resolved the issue. Did you get this done at a dealer? How much did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #22
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenners View Post
Good to see that it has resolved the issue. Did you get this done at a dealer? How much did it cost?
No, not by a dealer, got it done by an independent electronics guy who has access to all BMW software with BMW 24x7 support, etc... Costs €120 (euro) but I got a discount on that as he was running an offer. Really good being able to see integration levels before and after and also seeing the process happen with all modules being updated. A few hours well spent.