F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bus Nav - Proff Nav - Confussed
proTUNING Freaks

01-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
ken m sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d F36 Gran Coupe

Bus Nav - Proff Nav - Confussed

Hi, I really need some help of you guys because the BMW config and brochure is very poorly wrote and I am bit confussed. I have searched the forum and I couldnt really get the answer I was looking for.

I am about to sepc my new company car (likely to be a 320d Msport GT). I do a lot of motorway miles and need sat nav. Currently in my 1 series I have Bus Nav which is good enough for my needs, ie estimated time of arrival, basic maps etc. I dont use the internet as I have a Iphone in the car. What is the main difference between the two other than larger screen and more options. Also I use my Sat Nav a lot to tell me were traffic jams are on my chosen route. I dont know if this is classed as RTTI or TMC? I didnt spec it on my 1 series back in 2011 but I have it and use it a lot. Do i need prov Nav for this function now?

My second question is around EBT. I assume this allows me to stream music via bluetooth which you cant do with standard bluetooth?

Your help would be much appreicated.

Last edited by ken m sport; 01-20-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Prof Nav give bigger screen, 3D map views as opposed to just top down, RTTI (traffic jams etc) plus a few more online options.

EBT give music streaming plus a couple of other things such as reading out of emails etc.

Some people will tell you a TomTom is the best bet.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Mycar330
Rep
Drives: 330d se wobbly car

Business Nav also gives 3d map, 2d or turn by turn, your choice..Also screen is plenty large enough....not a bad Sat nav system actually.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Mycar330
Rep
Drives: 330d se wobbly car

Buisiness Nav also gives traffic info
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Pro Nav, benefits from the Larger screen, you could split the display 70/30 - Map View & Arrow Directions - Also gives you the Black Panel Display, in your dash.. That shows directions, turns coming up + quite a few more features
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
ken m sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d F36 Gran Coupe

guys, this is really helpful thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Prof Nav has the RTTI system, which is pretty much the same as traffic on Google maps - lots better than the TMC system.

Not sure if you can load music on to the hard drive with Business Nav?

EBT also give you the ability to connect 2 phones to it at same time- handy if you have a work and personal phone.

Not sure it's easy to justify on a pure rational basis.. for me I use a lot of the features and given we have a 335d it seemed appropriate to give it a very good kit level
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

EBT also has a preparation slot for a phone, ( you would have to purchase a cradle separate ) once you have it, you can plug your phone in, it will enhance the Mobile Signal and Charge your phone at the same time..

In traffic, I receive voice alerts, saying 'your route is being re-calculated, due to traffic information) I know its part of the RTTI, but not sure if the business nav comes with that too?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
EBT also has a preparation slot for a phone, ( you would have to purchase a cradle separate ) once you have it, you can plug your phone in, it will enhance the Mobile Signal and Charge your phone at the same time..
Where can you get a cradle from? Is it BMW accessory or you can get it from independent shop? I'm particularly interested in iPhone 5 cradle. Thanks.

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piono View Post
Where can you get a cradle from? Is it BMW accessory or you can get it from independent shop? I'm particularly interested in iPhone 5 cradle. Thanks.
It's a BMW product only, around £160 for the iPhone 5.. I've got one, it's called the 'Connect'. There's also another one for the iPhone 5 called the 'Media'. They both do the same job, but are for different vehicles depending on your car. BMW parts can check which one you need from your VIN..

I used to have the cradle for the iPhone 4S on my E93, that cost around £80, half of the price...

The F30 IPhone 5 cradle is more advanced and has a fan, to cool the iPhone while it charges. Only issue is the iPhone has to be stripped of any case it may be in, to be able to slot in the cradle
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
It's a BMW product only, around £160 for the iPhone 5.. I've got one, it's called the 'Connect'. There's also another one for the iPhone 5 called the 'Media'. They both do the same job, but are for different vehicles depending on your car. BMW parts can check which one you need from your VIN..

I used to have the cradle for the iPhone 4S on my E93, that cost around £80, half of the price...

The F30 IPhone 5 cradle is more advanced and has a fan, to cool the iPhone while it charges. Only issue is the iPhone has to be stripped of any case it may be in, to be able to slot in the cradle
£160 for a signal boost seems steep. The USB cable charges the phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

£160 for a signal booster! and you have to take the case off, and you can't see the phones screen! Man that is steep!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68
160 for a signal boost seems steep. The USB cable charges the phone.
Couldn't agree with you more! Rip off, but it's a monopoly for BMW, they can charge as they're pleased.

I bet your USB cable doesn't have a fan though, it's good for long distances, as the phone does heat up. Still not worth £160 though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
£160 for a signal booster! and you have to take the case off, and you can't see the phones screen! Man that is steep!
Taking the case off is what annoys me the most.. Another issue, for the first few days, as the phone is out of sight, I kept forgetting it in the car a few times

Not seeing the phone screen, is not so bad, as emails and text messages show up in you iDrive screen.., But to reply you have to open the arm rest, take the handset out, reply, then plug in! When you're impatient like me, it drives you insane..

Last edited by MWA; 01-20-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA

In traffic, I receive voice alerts, saying 'your route is being re-calculated, due to traffic information) I know its part of the RTTI, but not sure if the business nav comes with that too?
The business nav has tmc, which is the radio signal rather than a data signal which is similar to the google maps signal as mentioned. Standard business doesn't have send to car etc, business nav plus does. Being able to send your destination/ring up and get it sent is perfect for far away destinations especially if it's a bit of road trip with multiple stop offs.... As I have business nav, I'd really really like the pro nav...

I'd have pro nav 100%, also ebt if it's not your money! As you can live without it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

I was in the same boat with the Nav questions and thought initially it was very overpriced.

I have the advanced Nav and really impressed with the various views available including zoom functionality of the idrive,traffic information and the overall usability factor..
"Send to car "via your mobile SMS service from google maps is really convenient aswell....

I would say if you can afford pro Nav get it...if not business is very good aswell and far superior to a stick on Tom Tom..

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycar330 View Post
Buisiness Nav also gives traffic info
Didn't know this is it RTTI or the FM based radio updates?
      01-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5 View Post
Didn't know this is it RTTI or the FM based radio updates?
TMC via radio...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

The traffic management info on the business sat nav is based on TMC. I had this in two cars going back to 97. Initially it was very good but seemed to be fading into oblivion and towards the end it was not reporting motorway traffic jams that I was actually sitting in. RTTI is just brilliant and think it gets it's feed from the interweb.

The other advantage of the pro sat nav is you can get the HuD and this is just great with the sat nav.

I have used iPhones in cars for years and always managed to keep them charged without recourse to a fan!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #19
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I have the iphone 5 cradle with EBT and hadn't even looked close enough to see that there was a fan in it! How typically over-engineered of ze Germans!

THe Pro-nav with HUD is truly excellent. In fact I would go as far to say that it is only when you have Pro-nav that it makes sense to have the HUD. Or that the HUD really makes sense if you have Pro-nav plus Active Cruise due to the info that shows up in the screen.

On the HUD I can also see who is calling and a list of tracks in my album or playlist to scroll through. Not sure if that's related to the Pro-nav or EBT to be honest!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
anewone100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Maybe a dumb question, can you play music through the USB when connected to iphone?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #21
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewone100 View Post
Maybe a dumb question, can you play music through the USB when connected to iphone?

Thanks
Yes
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #22
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:

How do you get voice alerts read out??? My re-calculated routes are just shown with a notification symbol rather than just automatically doing it so I need to go into the menu system and chose a new route...
Appreciate 0