E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What Are The Limits Of The 335i Motor???

11-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Doug R
Private
Rep
Drives: soon to be 335i coupe

What Are The Limits Of The 335i Motor???

Just curious. Seems like tuning/exhaust is all I read about.Anyone experimented with big turbos? Internals, etc.

My sons twin turbo 350 Z is putting out 550 wheel hp on stock internals with after market turbos,higher boost,exhaust,etc.Even more if you want to build the motor or turn up the boost.

The after market products are endless with the Jap products.How about the 335i?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Jeepster
Thats how the cookie crumbles
Rep
Drives: 335i

550 wheel hp on a VQ stock block ill try to believe that. Its still early to know the limits of the 335i motor. AA & Vishnu tune are conservative only limp mode is the down fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R View Post
Just curious. Seems like tuning/exhaust is all I read about.Anyone experimented with big turbos? Internals, etc.

My sons twin turbo 350 Z is putting out 550 wheel hp on stock internals with after market turbos,higher boost,exhaust,etc.Even more if you want to build the motor or turn up the boost.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
B00sted335BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Quote:

We are no where near 550whp as of right now I will tell you that to start out with. Also I will take a guess this thread will start an arguement, because everyone has different ideas of what the limits will be...........and I guarantee other people will start comparing other cars with forced induction systems and telling you how much whp per cylinder it could handle compared to the 335i and bla bla bla.............

CLOSE THREAD NOW

before another childish arguement starts..........
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Doug R
Private
Rep

Don't over think my post.All I'm asking is has any tested the limits of the 335i twin turbo motor. Not trying to compare it to anything else.I realize it is a fairly new engine.I was just wondering if any one has tested the limits.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Don't over think my post.All I'm asking is has any tested the limits of the 335i twin turbo motor. Not trying to compare it to anything else.I realize it is a fairly new engine.I was just wondering if any one has tested the limits.
The answer is no. Beginning of this year my local Dinan dealer did tell me that Alpina has indeed done this, but they aren't publishing their results.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Doug R
Private
Rep

zenmaster

Thanks.that seems to be what I'm hearing. Can't wait to hear the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

i don't know how many people wanna blow up an n54 engine or it's turbos and taking a major major hit to the pocket book...it's not like you can go pick one up used for around 20-25k like you can the nissan...these cars are only a year old and depreciate less than any car in it's class....it's tough money wise but i know we will have more shortly...and there are bigger turbos for the 335 just haven't seen anyone put them on and when there was a thread out there on it it never got followed up by the company after they showed us pics with the turbos off....so who knows
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #8
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
...and there are bigger turbos for the 335 just haven't seen anyone put them on and when there was a thread out there on it it never got followed up by the company after they showed us pics with the turbos off....so who knows
I wonder if the motor blew up? Or the hot cylinders 5/6 blew a gasket or warped a head?
      11-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
bimmermans54
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

There for awhile has been a "theory" that the cylinders 5+6 get hot and over heat due to something with the crankshaft. Thats what I hear from my bmw tech friends. They also said that there was a rumor of a newer stronger engine making more power supposed to come out to replace the 335 motor thats out now. BUT havent seen or heard anything yet.
But I can tell you this. I have been doin this awhile now, and bmw motors are STRONG. MY 2001 e46 330ci was s/c with 9lbs of boost, and a 100 shot on top of that, and it held it like a champ. Many of my e46 m3s were 270rwhp stock, and when I was done they were 650rwhp. I will be doin things to push the car a little further than most, so I guess we will see.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermans54 View Post
There for awhile has been a "theory" that the cylinders 5+6 get hot and over heat due to something with the crankshaft. Thats what I hear from my bmw tech friends. They also said that there was a rumor of a newer stronger engine making more power supposed to come out to replace the 335 motor thats out now. BUT havent seen or heard anything yet.
But I can tell you this. I have been doin this awhile now, and bmw motors are STRONG. MY 2001 e46 330ci was s/c with 9lbs of boost, and a 100 shot on top of that, and it held it like a champ. Many of my e46 m3s were 270rwhp stock, and when I was done they were 650rwhp. I will be doin things to push the car a little further than most, so I guess we will see.
registered
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:

right now, heat rejection is the biggest issue. Oil coolers, better radiators, intercoolers, etc. would help with other power gains.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

A stock internal VQ motor holding 550 boosted rwhp? The fuse is lit on that badboy!!

Nobody has pushed the N54 to the limits yet, and there are a lot of variables to "the limits". Just because the rods don't become clausterphobic on the dyno doesn't mean it will survive in the real world..........with me driving it at least!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the long block will safely handle 650 crank hp with a spot on tune. Flame away!!
      11-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
A stock internal VQ motor holding 550 boosted rwhp? The fuse is lit on that badboy!!

Nobody has pushed the N54 to the limits yet, and there are a lot of variables to "the limits". Just because the rods don't become clausterphobic on the dyno doesn't mean it will survive in the real world..........with me driving it at least!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the long block will safely handle 650 crank hp with a spot on tune. Flame away!!
If this based on any data or just a guess. If so, this stuff just clouds the question and hurts the community. When guys are using the search function and find guesses it makes the search useless. Also guys like me that are looking for real info in their decision process just get frusterated with the forum. I am not trying to be rude, but when it comes to technical discussions we should refrain from guesses.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

also the trans...the auto can hangle 450 nm/tq....it's too hard to of a question right now....the car is just a year old...so yeah there will be a lot of guessing when no one knows...you should have figured that out right away...just by searching...you would have to do some mods to the cyclinders and turbos and fmic it would cost a ton to get 550 rwhp out of the n54....if you had 550 rwhp you would be doing low 3's 0-60 and 1/4 in the low 11's...who want's that for the street? better off buying a zo7...it would cost the same!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
horsedjump
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This car has been out for a year....I'm very surprised major mods have been done by so few, if anyone. Think about the times when new evos, sti, etc came out....within a couple of months crazy modding was being reported. Here we have a few piggybacks, DPs, and exhausts.....

Seems to be taking a little longer, and maybe that's due to the price, newness of the engine, location of the turbos, etc....who knows but seems to be a combo of factors....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedjump View Post
This car has been out for a year....I'm very surprised major mods have been done by so few, if anyone. Think about the times when new evos, sti, etc came out....within a couple of months crazy modding was being reported. Here we have a few piggybacks, DPs, and exhausts.....

Seems to be taking a little longer, and maybe that's due to the price, newness of the engine, location of the turbos, etc....who knows but seems to be a combo of factors....

Playing devil's advocate here...

Maybe the major modders have been seeing engine and/or tranny failures...

I hope I'm wrong though... I WANT the N54 to be bulletproof. No, I NEED the N54 to be bulletproof!
      11-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

There is nothing magical about the engine and drivetrain on this car. It is a little more robust than most, but there has been a general trend in the industry to beef up the high performance engines. I posted a great article a while back that talks about the order in which things tend to break as HP is increased to over triple or quadruple from stock output. I highly recommend reading something that to get a feel for what tends to get stressed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #18
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
The funny thing is that at the end of the day, who would really put an aftermarket turbo kit in their 335? I mean REALLY? You do that and you're on your own as far as the warranty's concerned.

My magic number's 500whp. Thats what I want.
      11-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #19
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
There is nothing magical about the engine and drivetrain on this car. It is a little more robust than most, but there has been a general trend in the industry to beef up the high performance engines. I posted a great article a while back that talks about the order in which things tend to break as HP is increased to over triple or quadruple from stock output. I highly recommend reading something that to get a feel for what tends to get stressed.
the link, please ...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #20
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

Quote:
Link?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #21
horsedjump
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I want to read this article. Link please.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedjump View Post
I want to read this article. Link please.
ditto
Appreciate 0