F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > PPK. 335d. Any chance?
Studio RSR

01-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
scooper
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

PPK. 335d. Any chance?

I haven't done much research on "PPK" (performance power kit?)

What are the chances of this coming for a 335d? Anyone got any thoughts?

Is it only engine, or related chassis bits?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I am not pretty sure Hartge do an approved kit for the 335d. I reckon BMW are nervous about putting out a PPK as it could make the car an M3/M4 beater. Setting aside all the arguments about s drive versus x drive and petrol versus the oil of the Devil it would be a stonking car. Actually it already is a stonking car!!! I love mine and I'm only 300 miles in.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I really really hope they do.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
They won't.... Does a 335d really need anymore?

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Probably not but you will get used to the power and many will want more.

Its inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #6
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy
They won't.... Does a 335d really need anymore?
Erm, yes! But seriously even if it has 350-380 horsepower it still has to carry an extra 150kg around compared to an M3/M4. It will also be xdrive, not have an LSD, have a narrower track, narrower wheels/tyres etc.

I think in terms of sales the M3 is more likely to take sales away from the 335d rather than the other way around.

I've found the 335d to be an extraordinarily capable car so far (3500 miles in). The chassis certainly feels as though it could tolerate quite a lot more power and torque. An M350d would certainly be an interesting proposition and in my view more likely than a PPK.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
Erm, yes! But seriously even if it has 350-380 horsepower it still has to carry an extra 150kg around compared to an M3/M4. It will also be xdrive, not have an LSD, have a narrower track, narrower wheels/tyres etc.

I think in terms of sales the M3 is more likely to take sales away from the 335d rather than the other way around.

I've found the 335d to be an extraordinarily capable car so far (3500 miles in). The chassis certainly feels as though it could tolerate quite a lot more power and torque. An M350d would certainly be an interesting proposition and in my view more likely than a PPK.
I agree that it could take more power without feeling overdone. The engine and box conspire to make it very undramatic in its acceleration... I'm hoping the Hartge ECU gives it more of a kick you can feel...!

Having said that I don't think this power would be much use, other than straight lines or motorway, without doing something suspension wise - stiffer Anti-roll bars or springs perhaps. I felt it a touch wallowy the other day, though I haven't had too much opportunity for spirited driving in it as yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

It's certainly much more GT car than sports car. Having adaptive suspension certainly helps things in the twisties, but to be honest I'd rather have something smaller if that was the primary role of the car. But as I wanted something that would be a comfortable, effortless and practical commuting machine, albeit with a considerable turn of pace when desired it fits the bill rather nicely.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
It's certainly much more GT car than sports car. Having adaptive suspension certainly helps things in the twisties, but to be honest I'd rather have something smaller if that was the primary role of the car. But as I wanted something that would be a comfortable, effortless and practical commuting machine, albeit with a considerable turn of pace when desired it fits the bill rather nicely.
Our requirements too, and all boxes ticked on that front!

My problems with these mods is I want them all but really can't justify them!

Having got the agreement for a 335d over a 330d, I'm struggling to justify a couple of thousand pounds to make an already fast car, even faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #10
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

We purchase all these powerful cars, but have nowhere on UK public roads to really use them. Apart from a few quick sprints to remind us how well they accelerate, we have to keep pace with the majority of slower cars. Now the Highways Agency is seriously considering reducing the speed limit on certain stretches of motorway to 60mph. How bad is that? If only the UK was like Germany ......
      01-19-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Do you not think that the 335d is fast enough?
Perhaps a Quaife LSD would be a better bet instead.
      01-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Do you not think that the 335d is fast enough?
Perhaps a Quaife LSD would be a better bet instead.
It is more than fast enough in any rational sense. Wanting more power isn't rational though! In some ways I think the immense power is safer on the license... bear with me on this one! If one were looking enjoy a quick burst of 100mph+ speed (not me mind) then with a very powerful car you are looking at a few seconds of acceleration, speedo whizzes up, then lift and in a couple of seconds one would be back at legalish speeds. On a slow car (or even a mildly quick car) that 80-110 increment takes forever and one would actually be travelling for a long time and distance just to get up there. It's a bizarre logic I know...

With my other half being Polish we drive there once or twice a year so I do get to enjoy the Autobahn a few times per year at least!

I'm not so sure about the LSD on an xdrive tbh... not sure I would ever drive in such a fashion to notice or need it. Whereas slightly stiffer and lower springs and ARBs would hopefully had some extra poise and agility on all fast driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I agree that it could take more power without feeling overdone. The engine and box conspire to make it very undramatic in its acceleration... I'm hoping the Hartge ECU gives it more of a kick you can feel...!

Having said that I don't think this power would be much use, other than straight lines or motorway, without doing something suspension wise - stiffer Anti-roll bars or springs perhaps. I felt it a touch wallowy the other day, though I haven't had too much opportunity for spirited driving in it as yet.
Yes more power is always welcome

I am sure a few aftermarket mods would transform any F30......problem is, it is not good limiting the warranty as a result of fitting such items.

As M Sport is nothing other than a trim line these days, I think BMW should have a M series that is more hard core in every model range. an M335d in sDrive would do me just fine
Appreciate 0