M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

01-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Autocar India: M5 vs E63 video

Interesting review by India's version of Vicky Butler-Henderson!

04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

well shes no Chris Harris!

Also, are they using e39 statistics? 0-100kph in 4.9 seconds... was this a stage 5 550i?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

She definitely needs more experience.
      01-15-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Lol terrible review...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

LOL- who cares (god i love saying it here). Protect your purchase or lease by defending or chiding a reviewers thoughts LOL. I think she had some points about the feel of the F10 and the weight. And she was wrong about Benz tranny calling it a dual clutch when its a planetary automatic with no tq converter and wet clutch set up. She also failed to mention subjective thoughts on looks where the M5 is the winner. Again its just an opinion as is mine.

I also wonder why they didnt test the S model of the E63 but it is freakin India LOL.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
LOL- who cares (god i love saying it here). Protect your purchase or lease by defending or chiding a reviewers thoughts LOL. I think she had some points about the feel of the F10 and the weight. And she was wrong about Benz tranny calling it a dual clutch when its a planetary automatic with no tq converter and wet clutch set up. She also failed to mention subjective thoughts on looks where the M5 is the winner. Again its just an opinion as is mine.

I also wonder why they didnt test the S model of the E63 but it is freakin India LOL.
Lol. She also made a mistake and said the F10 engine was 4.5 liters. She did have some good points but shes definitely nowhere near our British and American counterparts. Its just nice to see different reviewers and their opinions. I hope some of our fellow F10 M5 owners dont get butt hurt because she likes the AMG better!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdterror View Post
Lol. She also made a mistake and said the F10 engine was 4.5 liters. She did have some good points but shes definitely nowhere near our British and American counterparts. Its just nice to see different reviewers and their opinions. I hope some of our fellow F10 M5 owners dont get butt hurt because she likes the AMG better!

Oh the blasphemy!!! an AMG over an M and a woman to boot!!!!!!!!!

LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
vdubpower
The Guv'nor
Rep
Drives: E63 ////AMG BiTurbo

victory.....sorry...seriously though, pretty fair review...few mistakes, no big deal...she was really driving cautiously around those curves...no chris harris drifts at all...that would have been fun to see
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Oh the blasphemy!!! an AMG over an M and a woman to boot!!!!!!!!!

LOL
Freaking chicks!-lol! Man, I knew she was going to be in trouble here...

Because these are just subjective opinions they matter exactly ZERO. I found myself thinking "when she is talking about the massive aggressive boost feel of the M5 at the end most guys are going to prefer that."

I guess this must be me getting old again but I really love the interior look of the AMG. Just seems a bit more "sporty" to me than the M5.

Not a terrible review but not just "blah".

Even Chris Harris would take a beating around here if he badmouthed the M5 against an AMG.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Even Chris Harris would take a beating around here if he badmouthed the M5 against an AMG.
He gets close here (well BMW vs Merc)...

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-17-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Nice review
And yes E63/CLS63 drive lighter
But some people care about how their car looks -; and AMG looks messed up!
Rear diffuser and front bumper are laughably weird!!
Change just for the change not for growth towards perfection!!
I had 2010 E550 coupe in red and beige interior and that car was better looking than my M5 now but 4 years mater they make it look ugly!!

Interior may look better in E63 but screen is very small and I suffered when I had it!!

But I won't be offended if E63 gets better review than M5 as they are very close and meant to compete. .. but S6 by C&D and wins against those 2 much better cars!!! Unacceptable !!!! Not because I am a BMW fanatic but because I drove the S6 enough to say no comparison!!

Last edited by soooma; 01-17-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
He gets close here (well BMW vs Merc)...

Part of the reason I even test drove the SL63 which lead to the subsequent acquistion.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
And yes E63/CLS63 drive lighter
Pretty much all Mercs have light weight to controls (although have not driven BS), I see that as part of the appeal. MB have some very well engineered platforms & they have refinement nailed in the compact executive saloon market.

Quote:
But some people care about how their car looks -; and AMG looks messed up!
Rear diffuser and front bumper are laughably weird!!
Change just for the change not for growth towards perfection!!
I had 2010 E550 coupe in red and beige interior and that car was better looking than my M5 now but 4 years mater they make it look ugly!!
You need time to appreciate the SL styling, like the wing vents which have steadily grown since R129 & R230; this is a feature back from the W198. The more upright front-end styling comes from the R107 & earlier, etc. The styling may not be as ageless as it has been in the past, however, MB are a different manufacturer to what they were some 20/30 years ago. In some way bad, however, if they continued to produce over engineered cars they probably would have been bought out by VW by now!

I didn't initially like the exterior styling changes to the E-class (too brash), however, has grown on me since & IMO, pre-facelift looks dated now. E63 & M5 both look great in video above.

MB seem to be at a point where they have recovered from the switch from over engineered cars to profitable cars, i.e. quality is acceptable again. I believe they'll only get stronger from here.

Quote:
Interior may look better in E63 but screen is very small and I suffered when I had it!!
More work needed on user interface for sure - don't mind the size of the screen as long as the Nav works, I have other resultant issues such as the speedometers with central LCD display resulting in 'partial' needles (in c-class at least) which mask the numbers on the dial and the constant switching to traffic sign assist from your chosen view (annoying).

Quote:
But I won't be offended if E63 gets better review than M5 as they are very close and meant to compete. .. but S6 by C&D and wins against those 2 much better cars!!! Unacceptable !!!! Not because I am a BMW fanatic but because I drove the S6 enough to say no comparison!!
As Stealth has said before, now that VW have bought Porsche, Audi will need differentiate themselves from their slightly higher price-point cousins.

Both these companies have had some pretty close ties in the past (Porsche 924, RS2 Avant), however, I would predict the pre-Porsche acquisition B7 RS4 & R8 may be the pinnacle in terms of Audi drivers cars for a while (possible exception of Audi Quattro), especially if Porsche do follow in the footsteps of the Mecan create the 'Pajun' in a continued effort to increase market share. If it happens, I can see many of us jumping ship to a Pajun forum and posting how much better it is then the equivalent M5...

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-17-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Pretty much all Mercs have light weight to controls (although have not driven BS), I see that as part of the appeal. MB have some very well engineered platforms & they have refinement nailed in the compact executive saloon market.

You need time to appreciate the SL styling, like the wing vents which have steadily grown since R129 & R230; this is a feature back from the W198. The more upright front-end styling comes from the R107 & earlier, etc. The styling may not be as ageless as it has been in the past, however, MB are a different manufacturer to what they were some 20/30 years ago. In some way bad, however, if they continued to produce over engineered cars they probably would have been bought out by VW by now!

I didn't initially like the exterior styling changes to the E-class (too brash), however, has grown on me since & IMO, pre-facelift looks dated now. E63 & M5 both look great in video above.

MB seem to be at a point where they have recovered from the switch from over engineered cars to profitable cars, i.e. quality is acceptable again. I believe they'll only get stronger from here.

More work needed on user interface for sure - don't mind the size of the screen as long as the Nav works, I have other resultant issues such as the speedometers with central LCD display resulting in 'partial' needles (in c-class at least) which mask the numbers on the dial and the constant switching to traffic sign assist from your chosen view (annoying).

As Stealth has said before, now that VW have bought Porsche, Audi will need differentiate themselves from their slight higher price-point cousins.

Both these companies have had some pretty close ties in the past (Porsche 924, RS2 Avant), however, I would predict the pre-Porsche acquisition B7 RS4 & R8 may be the pinnacle in terms of Audi drivers cars for a while (possible exception of Audi Quattro), especially if Porsche do follow in the footsteps of the Mecan create the 'Pajun' in a continued effort to increase market share. If it happens, I can see many of us jumping ship to a Pajun forum and posting how much better it is then the equivalent M5...

I agree and actually learning from your post -
Appreciate 0