E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320i owners! Opinions?

01-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
andyakagod
Registered
Rep
Drives: My feet are my only carriage

320i owners! Opinions?

Hello there,

I'm new so be gentle.

I'm looking at buying a BMW Coupe 320i - 170bhp (Efficient Dynamics)

I've scoured this forum (& others) & have picked up a few things but I just have a few questions that I'd really appreciate some feedback on...

1) I'm moving away from Diesel-associated DMF troubles but what are the clutches like on the petrol engines - resilient? Expensive to replace?

2) I hear various engines chew through coilpacks - does this apply to the humble 2.0? Again expensive?

3) Does it invalidate your insurance to remove the runflats? Is it classed as a modification?

4) What should I be concerned about with the car & engine? What is it's Achilles heel?

5) Is the 4-pot petrol engine best left standard or can one squeeze anything more out of it with selected modifications?

If anyone could enlighten me with a response to any/all of the above points I'd greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
The 320i has been discussed on this forum at length so do a search to find threads, but it's not the most refined or reliable engine that BMW have produced. If you can your better off looking at the 325 or 330 petrols.

With regard to the run flats, it really depends on the company your with, but generally it's not regarded as a modification.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

From what I've read the Achilles Heel of the 320i is the 320i, as has been said, there are much better & more reliable engine options.

Coil packs do seem to be a bit suspect, & whilst the parts aren't too expensive, repeated diagnosis & repair can put a big hole in your pocket at BMW labour rates.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
andyakagod
Registered
Rep
Drives: My feet are my only carriage

Thanks for the replies.

I've been reading scores of threads.

A 325i isn't a bad idea really... Still in the preliminary research phase - so far narrowed to Petrol & Coupe.

Have genuine fears about the high pressure fuel pump - if I found something pre-owned I should ensure only BMW service history...?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
High Pressure Fuel Pump issues only really effected the 335i so that's not a really concern.
Cars with BMW history are good as you can check what's been done to the car in the past by going to a dealer.
Don't discount the 320d, on the whole a very reliable and complete all rounder.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #6
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

As the owner of a 320 E93, I can agree with all the comments re the coil pack problems as mine has had to visit the dealers to many times for replacements on the whole FOC.
If you get one like mine now that has had all the work and upgrades on the engine then its a very good motor so dont be put off by bad stories. Like all BMW's they aint cheap to maintain but done right you will have a car the envy of others.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport

I too have an 320i - e93 Msport.

The engine is actually very smooth and quiet especially coming from a diesel. I've had and still have an issue with a slight hiccup just before 2000rpm. It's not the end of the world but is annoying me enough to keep taking it back to my local dealer until it's fixed.

I took out the BMW aftermarket warranty which as proved well worth having. If your car is under 60,000 miles you have a variety of options and prices.

I've found the clutches on every e90 I've driven to be vague and the auto box to be very good and perhaps more suited to this model. Saying that, I still have a manual but would probably go for an auto next time.

Don't be fooled by BMW's economy figures. Real world on a heavy convertible is about 27mpg running around rising to about 34 mpg on a run. The coupes will be should be a little better though as they are quite q lot lighter.

The engine really can't be tuned any more than it already is. If you rev the engine though you can still make good progression!

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

I have a 320i e93 m sport.... There is definitely issues with coil packs etc but once they are sorted it is a nice car. Especially of you don't have the money for the bigger more desirable engines (330/335).

If your after speed then it may not be for you although it has enough for my liking and the fact that speed cameras are everywhere I drive its pointless having a petrol guzzler.

I like my 320i as its cheap to run overall and once my roof is off I don't care about being fast at all. Get the warranty as it will save you bundles in the long run.

As for run flats, u didn't have to tell my insurance company as it wasn't seen as a mod but double check. A 320d would be a good choice but like someone said above the drive won't be as smooth but the mpg would be a lot more than the usual 25-27mpg I'm currently getting.

What ever you decide don't let the horror stories scare you as each car has its own story.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Mikex101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 320i

Bought a E90 pre LCI 320i. Had a few issues so far, cam chain, water where it shouldn't be and looks like my Vac pump is on its way out. All from a full BMW History pretty low miles car.

Decent enough drive and the computer is showing 32mpg with a mix of Motorway commutes, stop start town traffic and the occasional twisty b road blast. Not fast by any means but fun to drive if you want it to be.

Coil packs you can get from a number of online retailers for (when I though mine were on the way out) £30 each. you need 4 + Plugs.

Overall, Its alright. Looks decent on the drive outside the house and does what I need. If I had the pennies id be going down the direct injection 330i route though, similar MPG with 280bhp.
Appreciate 0