E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 29DC plus some fuel codes

01-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for your humble opinions.
I've read some threads on this, and came to a conclusion that it is most likely my fuel pump(i do have Terrys walbro inline pump upgrade).
The car is throwing the 29DC code every time i give it more than 20% throttle. Car shakes, and shortly after, stalls. While the car is cold, it is somewhat drivable, and i can make a 10-15 mile drive in it, but after it warms up it dies as soon as i touch the throttle.
I changed out the coils, spark plugs, and the low pressure fuel sensor, yet the problem persists. All i can think is that the walbro went bad? Even tho i installed it less than 6 months ago, and have driven the car maybe 5000 miles since the install.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335 View Post
Hello Fellas,

I've read some threads on this, and came to a conclusion that it is most likely my fuel pump(i do have Terrys walbro inline pump upgrade).
The car is throwing the 29DC code every time i give it more than 20% throttle. Car shakes, and shortly after, stalls. While the car is cold, it is somewhat drivable, and i can make a 10-15 mile drive in it, but after it warms up it dies as soon as i touch the throttle.
I changed out the coils, spark plugs, and the low pressure fuel sensor, yet the problem persists. All i can think is that the walbro went bad? Even tho i installed it less than 6 months ago, and have driven the car maybe 5000 miles since the install.

Any ideas?
Check your TPS sensor or pedal. You have a deviation that is limiting your throttle output to the ecm.

EDIT: Scratch that. I believe I have my codes mixed up and that is actually injection cylinder switch off?. I would suggest you check your high side fuel pressure sensor. If this is good then it is your HPFP not the low side LPFP or booster. If you have a cobb, JB etc. to log with that is probably your cheapest method of troubleshooting unless your still under warranty.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system

Last edited by Ingeniator; 01-12-2014 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: mixed up codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator
Quote:
Hello Fellas,

Any ideas?
Check your TPS sensor or pedal. You have a deviation that is limiting your throttle output to the ecm.

EDIT: Scratch that. I believe I have my codes mixed up and that is actually injection cylinder switch off?. I would suggest you check your high side fuel pressure sensor. If this is good then it is your HPFP not the low side LPFP or booster. If you have a cobb, JB etc. to log with that is probably your cheapest method of troubleshooting unless your still under warranty.
Thanks for the input, i cant log, as theres nothing TO log. As soon ad i give it more than 20% throttle it goes into cylinder switch off mode and stalls... It's probably the hpfp
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Too much input guys, please slow down
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I do not know about the code, but symptoms sound like a bad injector. When you changed the spark plugs did you notice any of them darker than the others?
      01-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal View Post
I do not know about the code, but symptoms sound like a bad injector. When you changed the spark plugs did you notice any of them darker than the others?
I believe spark plug #5 was a little darker, but nothing crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

I'm having the EXACT same issue your having. Injection cylinder switch off. I changed my plugs to see if that helped and I guess move on to coil packs since it doesnt give me a specific cylinder This is what I cant stand though...Start throwing parts at it not knowing if its going to be fixed or not. The car ran completely fine with the stock LPFP and about 8 gallons E85, 4 gallons 93. As soon as I installed, or my buddy installed the Walbro drop in 465LPH fuel pump, this issue comes up immediately. We even went to the extent of taking the fuel pump back out, checking all the lines, making sure everything was perfect and thought it was a faulty pump. I was pissed so we tried my buddy who has a perfectly good walbro 455lph AND SAME SHIT!!! So I have been trying to diagnose this issue FOREVER and am on a mission to make sure I figure this shit out!!!
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
I'm having the EXACT same issue your having. Injection cylinder switch off. I changed my plugs to see if that helped and I guess move on to coil packs since it doesnt give me a specific cylinder This is what I cant stand though...Start throwing parts at it not knowing if its going to be fixed or not. The car ran completely fine with the stock LPFP and about 8 gallons E85, 4 gallons 93. As soon as I installed, or my buddy installed the Walbro drop in 465LPH fuel pump, this issue comes up immediately. We even went to the extent of taking the fuel pump back out, checking all the lines, making sure everything was perfect and thought it was a faulty pump. I was pissed so we tried my buddy who has a perfectly good walbro 455lph AND SAME SHIT!!! So I have been trying to diagnose this issue FOREVER and am on a mission to make sure I figure this shit out!!!
I hope you figure it out soon. I'm replacing my fuel pump and the injectors, so if it doesnt do the trick, i will have no idea what to do next.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
09E90utah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
I hope you figure it out soon. I'm replacing my fuel pump and the injectors, so if it doesnt do the trick, i will have no idea what to do next.
I had something similar when I went to the back-end flash. I had all the settings right for my G5 ISO and it still did it. So I reloaded the firmware into the G5 then reset defaults and everything cleared up. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E90utah View Post
I had something similar when I went to the back-end flash. I had all the settings right for my G5 ISO and it still did it. So I reloaded the firmware into the G5 then reset defaults and everything cleared up. Just a thought.
Just turned my car in to the dealer to get injectors replaced. I'll try resetting the flash after i get it back. Thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
09E90utah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Just turned my car in to the dealer to get injectors replaced. I'll try resetting the flash after i get it back. Thanks for the advice
Did you remove the G5 and back-end flash before you took it to the dealer? If so, was it still doing the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E90utah View Post
Did you remove the G5 and back-end flash before you took it to the dealer? If so, was it still doing the same thing?
no i didnt, i have a pretty cool SA.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Whenever fuel cuts that abruptly (assuming that is the issue itself, and not merely the resulting outcome of an unrelated problem) I usually look to the high pressure side. Low pressure issues usually involve crappy starts and breaking up, not outright fuel shutoff.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0