F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Unbelievable!!
GetBMWParts

01-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport+

Unbelievable!!

This is my first post on here but have been following the threads for a while now. Took delivery of my F30 330D Msport + last week. Coming from an E63 650i, I wasn't expecting much in terms of power delivery etc but have been more than pleased. Anyway i hadn't driven it for a couple of days and had it parked around the corner from my house (waiting to get a permit to keep it in front). I came home today eager to take it out for a spin and as i walk up to it i notice one of the wheels is up on the kerb which I thought was strange. The car is black and it was dark so couldnt really see much but then i noticed that some A*******! has scraped the top right bumper and the wheel arch which had forced it up onto the kerb! I almost cried!

Anyway i don't want to claim from the insurance as I doubt the £500 excess is less than the damage caused (and dont want to lose no claims, etc). Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced/decent bodyshops in south london area? I would post photos but its too dark at the moment so will get some up tomorrow.

Last edited by m88jey; 01-08-2014 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Are you saying the car was hit, with sufficient force to move it up on to a kerb? If this is the case I'd really be getting it checked out properly as that suggests a pretty hefty shunt to me.

I had a parked car hit by another car that couldn't stop on icy roads, that put it across a whole pavement and through a wall! Needless to say that was shock to come back too!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Are you saying the car was hit, with sufficient force to move it up on to a kerb? If this is the case I'd really be getting it checked out properly as that suggests a pretty hefty shunt to me.

I had a parked car hit by another car that couldn't stop on icy roads, that put it across a whole pavement and through a wall! Needless to say that was shock to come back too!
+1, you need to have called the police and called your insurance company. Get a quote from a bmw dealer and if it's a lot of money then use the insurance. If,it's sub £1k then don't claim and your insurance won't be affected.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, it's not major damage but as you say if it has been shunted with enough force it could have caused further unnoticeable damage?

Is there anything the police can do?

Can't believe this has happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZLERGEFF View Post
Thanks guys, it's not major damage but as you say if it has been shunted with enough force it could have caused further unnoticeable damage?

Is there anything the police can do?

Can't believe this has happened.
Hope you get it sorted, maybe the police can check CCTV if there are any nearby? Had a similar experience in a previous Be'em, police tried to figure out who the culprit was but no joy, probably some van driver
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Unfortunately for me there is no cctv on that road. I'll have to report it to the insurer tomorrow and get them to try and use an approved bmw workshop to look at it. Would this be the best way? or should i get a quote from bmw first, i think either way it needs to be reported to the insurance. I've also noticed the back left alloy has been scratched quite a bit. Gutted! Car is only 8 days old!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I felt physically sick reading your post.
Inform your Insurance Company, insist it is repaired by BMW, report it to the police (who won't do a thing as nobody was injured) but get a crime reference no. All helps.
Really feel for you.
      01-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I felt physically sick reading your post.
Inform your Insurance Company, insist it is repaired by BMW, report it to the police (who won't do a thing as nobody was injured) but get a crime reference no. All helps.
Really feel for you.
Damage is not aesthetically that bad but the fact that it was enough to put the front wheel up on the kerb means there must have been some impact. Busy day on the phones tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

I want to cry ((((((
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #10
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
That's terrible mate. Some inconsiderate buggers out there!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok so I've reported it to the police but they want me to go to the station to sign some forms to get a Crime Ref and have also reported it to the insurer. Does BMW charge to get something like this looked at? I'll contact my dealer and see if he can sort something out. Had a look at it this morning and the exterior damage is minimal but i'm now worried about damage I can't see (it seems to drive as normal i.e no strange noises or feel).

Serves me right for living in souf london!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #12
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

They should inspect the car/damage and give you an estimate for the work without charging, yes...

I hope that you get everything sorted out quickly. A sh*tty thing to have happened, that's for sure..
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #13
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Serves me right for living in souf london! [/QUOTE]

Feel for you buddy......there's tossers like that on the road all over the country.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok so I've reported it to the police but they want me to go to the station to sign some forms to get a Crime Ref and have also reported it to the insurer. Does BMW charge to get something like this looked at? I'll contact my dealer and see if he can sort something out. Had a look at it this morning and the exterior damage is minimal but i'm now worried about damage I can't see (it seems to drive as normal i.e no strange noises or feel).

Serves me right for living in souf london!
Living in Central London with off street parking has huge risks. I live in West London. My car was reversed into by a dozy neighbour and sustained £1900 of damage to the front bumper and Adaptive Xenon. It looked minimal but cost an arm and a leg. Thankfully, I had a witness and the Third Party's Insurer paid up.

I took my car to BMW. I told my Insurance company that I did not wish their repairers to do the job. I insisted and I'm glad I did. BTW, BMW don't charge for an estimate.
      01-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Sorry to read this! Some little scrotum in a battered Corsa is probably buzzing hes given you an envy stripe! Your insurers may require you to report it to the police, so I would and as said above they may ask neighbours/businesses for cctv footage if available. I'd act quick on this though as some cctv systems only hold data for a limited amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Our other F30 has had a massive ding put in the rear bumper whilst it was parked in an M&S carpark. Must have been hit really hard. I examined the front part of the car also in case of damage and there is none. I noticed that the bonnet is not quite square. Maybe it was so from new.

Needs a new rear bumper according to BMW. Cost approx £1000!!!
      01-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #17
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just called up the dealer, they wanted to charge me for "diagnostics" i told them to stick it. Then I was put through to a mechanic who said I'd need to have a KDS check to see if there is anything wrong with the steering/suspension alignment and with it being an MSport requires an even more extensive (and expensive!) check. He was talking around the £500-600 mark! I'll get in the car later and see if there is any obvious problem with the steering. Might take it to a local garage to see if he can spot anything obvious.

What a load of grief!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #18
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just called up the dealer, they wanted to charge me for "diagnostics" i told them to stick it. Then I was put through to a mechanic who said I'd need to have a KDS check to see if there is anything wrong with the steering/suspension alignment and with it being an MSport requires an even more extensive (and expensive!) check. He was talking around the £500-600 mark! I'll get in the car later and see if there is any obvious problem with the steering. Might take it to a local garage to see if he can spot anything obvious.

What a load of grief!
They can just tell by just looking at the car whether it needs a KDS check or not. My dealer had a good look at my car when the front bumper was damaged and decided it did not need this check. However, the other F30 with the badly bashed rear bumper might need it! Different dealer. I told them to stick it and they relented as there was no wheel damage.

The problem with your damage is that it has involved a wheel. Hence the KDS check.

All this should be covered by your Insurance Policy. What a PITA.
      01-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #19
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I really feel for you

With a car like that, surely you don't want to be messed around with crappy work shops.

How many NCD years have you got? if you have 5 or more you're not going to lose more than 2.. I would always take the insurance route and have it repaired by BMW..

Last edited by MWA; 01-09-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

@GUZLERGEFF:
Could you post pictures of the damage please?
      01-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #21
m88jey
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

After looking at the car this evening there appears to be very little external damage, few scratches here and there and a minor dent on the metal but i can live with that (after wiping the area a bit it didn't seem as bad as first thought) However one of the pics shows the wheel propped up on the kerb. Had a stroke of luck, a friend of a friend at work is a bmw mechanic and has agreed to have a look at the car.

After seeing some of the other threads with damaged F30's i count myself lucky that I've not had much aesthetic damage.

Sorry for the crappy iphone photo's
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #22
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Sorry for the grief and good luck getting it resolved quickly. You should definitely use your insurer...after all that's what an insurance policy is for.
BTW, You need a new iPhone - those pictures are terrible!
Appreciate 0