Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
WallieX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jahre IB G80

Performance Data Recorder (PDR) in future M3/M4?

Do you think BMW will ever have its own version of PDR? I actually think it might be easier for BMW to implement based on how coupled the iDrive is to the car. Everything needed is pretty much there except the front cameras.

I think this may very well be a worthwhile "toy" that may actually turn out to be very useful if very accurate.

Here's how it works:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...order-pdr.html

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Since Corvette is doing it, yes. Most likely only on the competition packages though - it'll be a multi-thousand dollar upgrade on an already expensive package.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

The F80 and F82 have a lap timer, fwiw.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

The active driving assistants (lane departure warning! speed limit info) already have a camera.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallieX5
Do you think BMW will ever have its own version of PDR? I actually think it might be easier for BMW to implement based on how coupled the iDrive is to the car. Everything needed is pretty much there except the front cameras.

I think this may very well be a worthwhile "toy" that may actually turn out to be very useful if very accurate.

Here's how it works:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...order-pdr.html

This very cool makes so much sense. Very cool idea American cars are finally stepping up the game.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

First they can stop denying warranty due to "high revving" and "track usage". Then they can offer a pdr
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
First they can stop denying warranty due to "high revving" and "track usage". Then they can offer a pdr
Have they been denying warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
I don't think so.

I've read (but can't find the threads) of C6 Z06 that had engine failure during a track day and GM replaced the engine under warranty (The owners were up front about the fact the failures occurred at the track).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

OP, funny you bring this up. I posted that same vid as ane example of how far ahead the Vette is when it comes to PDR, and got flamed for calling the BMW "power" meter lame. People were like, "go buy a Corvette then."

Quote:
Many people have been denied warranty due to evidence of track use. One guy got denied because he had studs on car instead of the stock bolts!!
I imagine most of the time it's due to finding chunks of rubber under the car. A lot of it also depends on the dealership.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
OP, funny you bring this up. I posted that same vid as ane example of how far ahead the Vette is when it comes to PDR, and got flamed for calling the BMW "power" meter lame. People were like, "go buy a Corvette then."

Quote:
Many people have been denied warranty due to evidence of track use. One guy got denied because he had studs on car instead of the stock bolts!!
I imagine most of the time it's due to finding chunks of rubber under the car. A lot of it also depends on the dealership.

Yeah dealer specific, there are some crappy dealers out there for sure. Two them around here.
Appreciate 0