E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Who's ditching the DPF bypass pipe?

01-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Who's ditching the DPF bypass pipe?

With the new rules coming into force , who's decided to have theirs removed ??

Mine's in for a bit of work and need to make a decision while it's there on whether to have mine taken out and have my DPF put back in

If it does happen i'll be left seriously deflated and disappointed . I would struggle to find another car that could produce the figures in power , torque and MPG
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
e91boi
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
With the new rules coming into force , who's decided to have theirs removed ??

Mine's in for a bit of work and need to make a decision while it's there on whether to have mine taken out and have my DPF put back in

If it does happen i'll be left seriously deflated and disappointed . I would struggle to find another car that could produce the figures in power , torque and MPG
I dont have a by pass pipe i had mine cut open removed and welded shut, however how can the MOT tester tell if it has a by pass pipe? it is underneath all the under tray.....Which they can not remove.

I believe the new rules are only a visual inspection only
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

not sure what I will do yet, I have an ecotune pipe fitted, thinking of getting an MOT before the end of jan which will give me more time to sort it, I still have my original dpf and I'm thinking of gutting it and putting it back on which seems to be the easiest course.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilly View Post
not sure what I will do yet, I have an ecotune pipe fitted, thinking of getting an MOT before the end of jan which will give me more time to sort it, I still have my original dpf and I'm thinking of gutting it and putting it back on which seems to be the easiest course.

I was thinking along the same route but it's £1000 fine for anyone caught with one .. not just MOT failure

Ecotune saying that gutting the dpf will have an effect on the map that is tuned for the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
I was thinking along the same route but it's £1000 fine for anyone caught with one .. not just MOT failure

Ecotune saying that gutting the dpf will have an effect on the map that is tuned for the pipe.

I think ecotune maybe saying this to generate more business, bearing in mind they are going to loose any further dpf removals with the down pipe and software they supply, unless they can possibly develop new software to decrease emissions further to meet MOT standards with the dpf gutted.
if I go down the route I suggested how will anyone know its been gutted? the MOT tester can see it visually, its passed the emissions test, I think its doubtful the MOT will they carry out roadside tests for domestic vehicles regarding emissions as the results would be the same as the MOT test which the car has already passed.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

CAT removal has been an MOT fail since 1994, people still do it, and some MOT stations still turn a blind eye, that's not going to change...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
CAT removal has been an MOT fail since 1994, people still do it, and some MOT stations still turn a blind eye, that's not going to change...
Petrol cars have specific emission levels to meet. Diesel cars don't.

I've never seen a car pass without a CAT, they just usually remove the pre CAT or have a sports CAT.

There is a CAT still there of some description to reduce emissions to within guidelines.

Diesel cars only have a density of smoke test based on figures from a long time ago. One for turbo cars and one for NA.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
stringy93
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318d msport

I wont be removing the dpf unless it starts causing issues. I certainly won't be paying for a new one. I run mine on v power and always allow it to complete it's regens and so far so good at 59k. As mentioned testers aren't allowed to remove plastic covers to check parts and as for the emissions part of the test it is just a basic smoke test. Mine was tested last week and the machine didn't even recognise there was a car connected to it
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

I've not had pre cats or main cats on any of my cars for years. It's who you know that helps there!

Does removing the DPF make much difference? If so I will probably remove it if I ever get a remap
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
stringy93
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
I've not had pre cats or main cats on any of my cars for years. It's who you know that helps there!

Does removing the DPF make much difference? If so I will probably remove it if I ever get a remap
I'm with you on that one for one of my other cars

My mate has just had his mazda 3 done, dpf removal and remap, it's made a huge difference to his
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Petrol cars have specific emission levels to meet. Diesel cars don't.

I've never seen a car pass without a CAT, they just usually remove the pre CAT or have a sports CAT.

There is a CAT still there of some description to reduce emissions to within guidelines.

Diesel cars only have a density of smoke test based on figures from a long time ago. One for turbo cars and one for NA.
Yep I know the regulations and a catless car SHOULD NOT pass an emissions test, if the test is done correctly, it would be impossible.

but there are many garages out there, that will turn a blind eye, and stick the probe up another cars exhaust to get a reading.
Appreciate 0