M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

12-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
us_matrix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY14 M5 Black Sapphire

Safe to use clay bar on your new M5?

I bought clay bar and Wolfgang Paint Sealant a while ago. Is it safe to apply clay bar on new paint (1700 miles so far) before apply the paint sealant? Or I should just apply pain sealant after car wash?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Dude absolutely you should clay it first! make sure you use lots of clay lube of some sort and a light hand. I clayed my whole car at 1900 miles after it got back from ED, and then did opti-coat and clear bra. it looks great now.
      12-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Dude absolutely you should clay it first! make sure you use lots of clay lube of some sort and a light hand.
I agree, however, would add that you should start with a non-aggressive clay bar if this is your first time claying (sonus green, etc.), as aggressive clay bars can easily mar the paintwork (will need to polish to fix clay bar marring). If you have bought an aggressive clay bar, don't use it (you'll potentially cause a lot more damage than the cost of the clay bar). Ensure you wash & rinse the clay lube after claying and to fully prep the paint prior to applying a sealant, I would recommend a wipe down 50% IPA or panel wipe (also removes polishing oils, fillers, etc. to reveal the true finish of the clear coat, so paintwork needs to be free of swirls if you want to do this), as this will ensure the sealant adheres to the clear coat better & maximises its potential.

As a test, get a thin plastic bag, put your hand inside and gently rub across the paintwork; if it feels rough, you need to fully decontaminate the surface. If you are serious about detailing, you should use something like a citrus pre-wash & tar remover after washing & rinsing but prior to claying (minimises potential for clay bar marring). If you do go the chemical route, don't let these sit on the paint for too long.

It's amazing how much contamination a clay bar can lift from a car with delivery miles only, let alone one with 1700 miles.

You only need to be cautious (with clay bars, etc.) if your paint is not 'factory', i.e. you have had a recent respray and the paint is not yet fully cured.

Last edited by Dionysus; 12-29-2013 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Overall I agree with Dionysus.

I feel a little different about cb. Using any cb will generate an amount of marring. From the debris and contaminants as much as the cb itself.

Also, I moved away from alcohol mixes to remove all oils for a few reasons. It can easily swell clear and mask damage. It also does not remove all polish oils. Sometimes it can appear to remove oils and not really at times. I have found Car Pro Eraser is the best solution and replacement for alcohol/mixtures.
Appreciate 0