E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > help needed with paint stain

12-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

help needed with paint stain

oh man ! I was washing my car today and I saw some brown stain (like coffee) like lines coming down the hood , like someone spilled something on my paint ( but just lines) , so I thought no big deal it'll go away with a good car wash. I was able to remove the brown but there is residue still left on my hood.

I went home and tried wax compound but it was not help. I tried removing a bit with my nail and it seemed to work on a small spot but it was pretty hard. I did not try more because I do not want to scratch my paint , i just needed to know if it was clearcoat peeling or a sticky stain

It looks like clearcoat peeling but it's not because I can feel the stain on top of my paint . It is hard to describe but its like the residue of a sticker after you take it out.

I m going to buy clay bar tomorrow but I was reading the wd-40 or nail polisher may also work. Any more ideas

I m going to the garage to take a picture so you guys can see what I m talking about

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
rick100
Colonel
Rep

here it is . It looks a lot bigger than what it is because of the angle but still

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
rick100
Colonel
Rep

I went to an auto detailer. He wants 100 bucks to remove. He said he has to wet sand. Does this sound right
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
I went to an auto detailer. He wants 100 bucks to remove. He said he has to wet sand. Does this sound right
Try in a small section, to test whatever product first. But it looks like a mineral water stain. Did you happen to park it in the rain in a parking structure?? what happens is the run off water has minerals in it which move with the water. The water pools on your car and eventually dry leaving the mineral behind to etch into the paint. You need something that will react with the mineral to soften it so it can be remove from the clear coat.

i would try various products from least harsh on your paint to more harsh in your paint to see what might lift it off. Basic wash, bug and tar remover, clay bar, rubbing compound, etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
rick100
Colonel
Rep

bad news . I went to one of the best detailers in my area and he was not able to remove the stain

It's not bird poo , it looks like something from a pipe drip onto my paint ( I park underground) , I've checked everywhere in my parking spot and I do not see any drips , so I m wondering it someone on purpose did it , who knows

He was able to remove some of it , but he said I had 2.4 left on my clear coat (whatever that means, he said on a bmw 5 and more its what he wants to see , which is what I had on the rest of the paint) so he did not want to keep removing it. He said I could try wet sanding it but I could risk going through the clear coat and then I will need to repaint the whole hood

I can either live with it ( it looks somewhat better now) or I can repaint the whole hood. This sucks

He did not charge my anything so that is kind of good because he did a lot of work
Appreciate 0