E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 pre lci Headlight Blackout HELP

12-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
e'sbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i e90

E90 pre lci Headlight Blackout HELP

I've taken apart my xenon headlights and I was wanting to paint all the chrome pieces black but Im wondering, will the turn signal still be visible without reflecting off the chrome?

I also am wondering how people are painting all the chrome. Do you somehow take it out or just spray it while still inside the housing?

Help is very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Yeah it is, you should be able to see in that thread of mine that you responded too. If you black out the reflector the blinker is a bit harder to see from the side of the car but since there is the side turn signal it doesn't worry me.

I just used masking tape and masked off everything inside I didn't want black. I even just masked off the xenon lens then cleaned off the tape residue with rubbing alcohol. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

for the reflector, first off for legal purposes changing it is illegal. What i would recommend doing though is painting it gloss black, and then if you have silver/chrome paint do a light misting in there to help it reflect better. Make it more of a black chrome.

For blacking everything else out - the chrome comes off really easy i would recommend using rubbing / denatured alcohol and cleaning everyhing really well. From there use a primer, then a semi-gloss black or any other color you prefer.

Definitely take ent entire headlight apart first and spray everything OUTSIDE of the headlight. You dont want paint getting on the motors and electronics. Removing the xenon bezel part is the hardest and i've never found a good way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Or you can use nightshades for the reflector but it will give it a matte look. I didn't mind because I painted everything else inside matte and since its on the inside of headlight it doesn't look bad compared to if you tinted the outside of a headlight or taillight
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
e'sbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
for the reflector, first off for legal purposes changing it is illegal. What i would recommend doing though is painting it gloss black, and then if you have silver/chrome paint do a light misting in there to help it reflect better. Make it more of a black chrome.

For blacking everything else out - the chrome comes off really easy i would recommend using rubbing / denatured alcohol and cleaning everyhing really well. From there use a primer, then a semi-gloss black or any other color you prefer.

Definitely take ent entire headlight apart first and spray everything OUTSIDE of the headlight. You dont want paint getting on the motors and electronics. Removing the xenon bezel part is the hardest and i've never found a good way to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
Or you can use nightshades for the reflector but it will give it a matte look. I didn't mind because I painted everything else inside matte and since its on the inside of headlight it doesn't look bad compared to if you tinted the outside of a headlight or taillight
Thanks for the help guys. I think Ill just leave the turn signal alone.

I removed the little chrome piece next to the turn signal and painted the amber and it already looks 100x better.

My problem now is just convincing myself to paint over the beautiful "BMW Dynamic Xenon" lettering and all the chrome. Hope it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
You will still see the BMW Dynamic Xenon after painting it because it is raised lettering. Post some pics when you're done! I am so happy I did it to my car it makes it look so much better
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
e'sbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
You will still see the BMW Dynamic Xenon after painting it because it is raised lettering. Post some pics when you're done! I am so happy I did it to my car it makes it look so much better
Ok cool Thanks. Ill post pics when done.
Appreciate 0