F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pro Nav, No EBT - email/texts?
ARMA SPEED

12-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI

Pro Nav, No EBT - email/texts?

Hi Guys

I'm sure someone has answered this in the past , but after loads of searching i cannot for the life of me find the thread.

I picked up my F30 yesterday that has pro nav, but no EBT and I wanted to know if and how i get get emails (from an exchange server) and text messages working through i-drive

I have an iphone 5S running latest IOS and connect to the car via the apple cable

help!

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Here you go:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919384
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918897

It appears that with the new touchpad iDrive, you'll need EBT. The older ones did not need it. So much for progress.
      12-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

My understanding is that a long press of the voice control button will connect with Siri. Ask Siri to read out your message.

It works on my bog standard E90, though I have to do a long press of the phones home button to get Siri through the cars basic Bluetooth.
      12-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

I wouldn't bother with the text/email connectivity with Pro Nav- it is simpler to look at your phone when you are parked.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
I wouldn't bother with the text/email connectivity with Pro Nav- it is simpler to look at your phone when you are parked.
Mine reads out texts and emails. Brilliant!
      12-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Don't take this the wrong way but is reading/writing texts and emails while driving a good idea?

Instant communications eh? I remember when....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
ll71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320D xDrive M Sport

You can't read the emails, it doesn't let you. Dragon Dictate instead reads the emails out to you. You can then respond to the email by simply talking to the car. It's breathtaking how good it is too, I've been using it loads.

It's not really any different to using the phone or the stereo in your car. It's a marvellous addition and really sets BMW apart from any of the other systems I've tried.

Basically, yes, you need EBT, or you need to code it aftermarket to get Emails in the car. The other way is to use Connected Office via Gmail accounts with your work email forwarded to your Gmail account. However, this is pretty clunky and EBT is the way forward.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

I have the NBT nav with (added via coding) EBT and honestly, the SMS and Email feature is pretty clunky - sms is okay - you can at least read those (though still requires a few button presses) but email is variable depending on your phone. As someone else mentioned, I find Siri Eyes Free to be far more convenient, enbaling me to just hold the talk button and ask it to read out my last message, last email or even compose a new message/email. The only caveat with that is that it requires a decent data signal to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
ll71
Private First Class
Rep

With pro nav, you can split the screen and view your emails coming in on the left, and your sat nav/stereo/etc on the right. Emails pop in, you click the controller twice and hey presto your car reads out your email through the stereo. Couldn't be easier. You can also code a shortcut onto one of the 1-8 shortcut buttons and access Office Today with one press. I love mine and it's awesome for anyone who has to make use of their day whilst driving for hours. It's certainly much less distracting than browsing your music library for example.

I suspect that depending on phone implementation, you get certain features, some of which transform the experience. Mine is Android 4.2.2 and works perfectly, however not all phones are alike even on Android so use the BMW compatibility checker.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll71 View Post
With pro nav, you can split the screen and view your emails coming in on the left, and your sat nav/stereo/etc on the right. Emails pop in, you click the controller twice and hey presto your car reads out your email through the stereo. Couldn't be easier. You can also code a shortcut onto one of the 1-8 shortcut buttons and access Office Today with one press. I love mine and it's awesome for anyone who has to make use of their day whilst driving for hours. It's certainly much less distracting than browsing your music library for example.

I suspect that depending on phone implementation, you get certain features, some of which transform the experience. Mine is Android 4.2.2 and works perfectly, however not all phones are alike even on Android so use the BMW compatibility checker.
Use mine exactly like this.. Shortcut key makes it so much easier to read texts / emails. Works on my iPhone 5....
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI

Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it

Sounds like I either need to go down the coding route myself (Xmas project?) or find a local member and exchange beer tokens
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
ll71
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Adam, if you want to DIY you'll need a coding cable from ebay and the links to download e-sys and the data file from Shawn Sheridan on here. I'm a 'techy' and to be honest I found it a bit iffy to config the car myself and had Shawn remote config the car for me instead. If you're struggling with doing this, drop me a PM and we can have a chat, I'm in West Sussex so not a million miles away if you need any advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Alamat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
Use mine exactly like this.. Shortcut key makes it so much easier to read texts / emails. Works on my iPhone 5....
Not hijacking the thread but does pics on your contacts show up when someone calls or texts you? I'm using an Iphone 4s and I did try my son's 5 but still no go?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamat View Post
Not hijacking the thread but does pics on your contacts show up when someone calls or texts you? I'm using an Iphone 4s and I did try my son's 5 but still no go?
Not on the car screen no...
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
ll71
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, it does on my Sony Xperia running Android 4.2.2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #16
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Sorry to hijack but what does Shaun need in order to remotely code your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
ll71
Private First Class
Rep

Laptop with Windows & Wifi
Wifi connection to the car
E-Sys software loaded on the laptop
PSZD whatever it's called data software on the laptop
A BMW OBD coding cable off Ebay
Try connecting to your car via the cable and e-sys software.

Shawn will give you the download links to the software. You'll need an app like DownloadItAll on your broswer to batch download all the files, otherwise you'll be there weeks. You can download the abbreviated data file BTW, if all you're doing is coding EBT.

If you ask nicely he may or may not code the car for you, or you can DIY it if you're brave. You'll need WiFi out by your car as he will connect via a Desktop sharing site. Try a Wifi range extender from PC World if you're struggling to get signal to the driveway.

It would be a darn site easier if BMW would a) tell us to use Email you need EBT and b) offer to retrofit it, which I'm told they won't/can't do.
Appreciate 0