E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HID kit recomendation

12-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
anogmus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M335i and Lexus IS2F

HID kit recomendation

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to get HID kid for my e90 328i 2008
I have stock not xennon light. There is a lot of shops around that offer complete installation hid for low beam, high beam and fog lights. The cost is $300 for whole thing. When I asked what brand will they install they say it's Xennon, I don't think that there is such brand... But they offer life time warranty on kit.
I live in San Diego.

I herd negative things about such conversions:
1. Burns out glass on head light.
2. Messes up electronics on car.

Any recommendations on HID kit? have any one done anything like that and did it effect your car in negative way?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

There's no such thing as a real HID "kit." While it is possible to drop HIDs in and replace your halogen headlights, there's a few problems with it:
  • It looks terrible.
  • You'll be blinding other drivers.
  • It's illegal.

Your car currently has halogen lights enclosed in reflector housings. Reflector housings are not meant to accommodate xenons/HIDs and their light output. Thus the blinding of other drivers and why it's rightfully illegal.

If you want HID/xenon lights, the proper way to do it is to buy the OEM BMW HID headlights and parts and have them professionally installed and leveled.
      12-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

You are running non projector headlamps not designed for high intensity discharge (HID) lighting which will blind on coming traffic, is illegal, and with that kind of heat you'll end up melting the plastics inside of you're halogen housing.

Do not buy an HID kit as of now, go to google and search up a seller by the name of fishcake321 buy a DEPO headlight kit from him either with upgraded angel eyes or not (depending on what you want/can afford), this way you'll have some projectors and once and only then go buy yourself an HID kit if the DEPO projectors do not suffice you're needs.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151164525799
Appreciate 0