E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Should i plasti dip my car? Need opinions

12-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Should i plasti dip my car? Need opinions

Hey guys, so recently i've been thinking about changing it up a bit and decided I want to either vinyl wrap the car or plastidip it. I Then decided it would be much cheaper and probably produce similar results from plasti dip. So I thought, hey why not plasti dip it a different color?! I've seen some very very nice jobs and it's always made me want to try it.

I was thinking of a matte limerock color. I'm not sure how it would look with the glossifier added..but that's always an option.

Opinions?

Here's my car as of now: (it's not letting me embed the photo in this thread..no idea why, sorry lol)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/110874634@N04/11255936054/

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
BlackTyEvent
Boy Wonder
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i - Jet Black

i love plastidip but only when you can go a little crazy with it. you already have a really sharp ride but go for it if its what you want.

personally, im looking to experiment with different pigments mixed into the plastidip (glow-in dark, iridescents, temp-sensitives) for something totallh unique.

i dont think matte limerock would look that great, maybe with a little pearl added, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

i dunno. I like your car the way it is
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
DF
Major
Rep

when you that kind of color change do you all the parts not seen externally? Or is just what the eye can see with everything closed?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTyEvent View Post
i love plastidip but only when you can go a little crazy with it. you already have a really sharp ride but go for it if its what you want.

personally, im looking to experiment with different pigments mixed into the plastidip (glow-in dark, iridescents, temp-sensitives) for something totallh unique.

i dont think matte limerock would look that great, maybe with a little pearl added, though.
Yeah i'm not sure i'm if gonna go full crazy and get experimental colors, kinda wanna keep it simple.

I agree, Limerock doesn't look good in a matte but I don't know how gloss will look on plasti dip, i'll keep looking around. It was either that or a nice blue(Like a Montego blue type color).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
i dunno. I like your car the way it is
Thanks brotha. I just wanna change it up lol

Quote:
when you that kind of color change do you all the parts not seen externally? Or is just what the eye can see with everything closed?
Not sure what you're asking..

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
ek99civic
BMW Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post
Not sure what you're asking..
I think he means door jams and such.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek99civic View Post
Quote:

I think he means door jams and such.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the quest for inner peace in a world full of external flaws and that a mans skin color should not mean anything. That we should not be so closed minded and be able to see more than what is before our eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Another plasti dip thread.. Car looks stock and dipping your car would make it look weak.. Personally I love the color you have now with the black wheels. Looks sharp.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Oldboy
Another plasti dip thread.. Car looks stock and dipping your car would make it look weak.. Personally I love the color you have now with the black wheels. Looks sharp.
Hahah.. Yup another plasti dip thread. I gotta buy a front lip.

Maybe I'll just spend my money on an HPF exhaust

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the quest for inner peace in a world full of external flaws and that a mans skin color should not mean anything. That we should not be so closed minded and be able to see more than what is before our eyes.
I wanted to know if he was a top for bottom. He sounded cute.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Don't do it!

Quote:
Hey guys, so recently i've been thinking about changing it up a bit and decided I want to either vinyl wrap the car or plastidip it. I Then decided it would be much cheaper and probably produce similar results from plasti dip. So I thought, hey why not plasti dip it a different color?! I've seen some very very nice jobs and it's always made me want to try it.

I was thinking of a matte limerock color. I'm not sure how it would look with the glossifier added..but that's always an option.

Opinions?

Here's my car as of now: (it's not letting me embed the photo in this thread..no idea why, sorry lol)
Don't do it! I did it to my 335i, had it on the car for about 8 months and it was such a pain to get it off! It took me 4 days!!!! of really hard work to get it off. I spent at least $120 on stuff to remove it.

I might not have had enough layers though. I had about 5 layers of the clear plastidip on my car and that clearly wasn't enough for such a long time on my car in CA climate. I mean it did look great, but trust me, you will tore the plastidip at some spots (very easily) and then it's unbelievable hard to correct and repair. I was all for plastidip at the beginning and convinced friends to do it and at the end we were all unsatisfied. I really recommend spending the extra cash and get a wrap. If you chose to go for plastidip at least have it done by professionals and see what kind of guarantee they can give you and if they cover tears...

I still use plastidip, but only for my rims.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi
Quote:

Opinions?

Don't do it! I did it to my 335i, had it on the car for about 8 months and it was such a pain to get it off! It took me 4 days!!!! of really hard work to get it off. I spent at least $120 on stuff to remove it.

I might not have had enough layers though. I had about 5 layers of the clear plastidip on my car and that clearly wasn't enough for such a long time on my car in CA climate. I mean it did look great, but trust me, you will tore the plastidip at some spots (very easily) and then it's unbelievable hard to correct and repair. I was all for plastidip at the beginning and convinced friends to do it and at the end we were all unsatisfied. I really recommend spending the extra cash and get a wrap. If you chose to go for plastidip at least have it done by professionals and see what kind of guarantee they can give you and if they cover tears...

I still use plastidip, but only for my rims.

Good luck!
Was your car plasti dipped in those pics?

Yeah I plan on having a professional do it (if I decide to do it). I've dealt with plasti dip before and as long as you have enough layers it should come off fine.. I learned the hard way like you when I tried taking the plasti dip off my front grills lol

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Don't do it - your car looks great as is. Plasti-dip never looks good up close in person, even professionally applied.
      12-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Don't do it - your car looks great as is. Plasti-dip never looks good up close in person, even professionally applied.
Thanks man. Yeah i know what you're saying. I might just put my money into a new exhaust instead...probably enjoy it more and it won't give me any headaches

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Plasti-dip looks like primer. Your car looks great already
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Someone posted a pic of his orange plastidipped E90. Didn't look good at all; I think the thread was titled "bored" or something like that. Vinyl is a much better option, it just involves a lot more labor.

And plastidip looks so much better in pics than in real life. Pictures don't capture the weird texture/finish that plastidip has. I've seen cars done by "certified" shops and even those have a weird finish. Matte black looks ok, but that's because it's hard to mess up. Anytime they try for a satin or gloss finish, it looks bad. Not quite glossy, not quite satin, looks like rubber which it basically is.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
Wrap > Plasti-dip

Although expensive, will look really clean if installed correctly
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
DF
Major
Rep

I wish I had bought stock in plasti dip
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Have a clear bra (durable plastic film) put on your entire car and enjoy the benefits of having a relatively swirl free and scratch free car. No more stressing over folks sitting things on the car, leaning on the car, bird droppings, pets jumping onto the car, flying stones, stuff flying out of the lawnmower chute and hitting the car, scrapes from stuff in the garage falling/scraping against the car, etc.

I had my hood, roof and trunk done this past Spring and I'm loving the total bliss I have about stuff scraping the surface of my car. I did it mostly because I lost the battle to try keeping the cats from jumping onto the warm hood of the car. They also just like to sit there because they can see out the windows in the garage from on top of the car.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #21
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, Gated R8, DatsunZ, mk

i plastidipped my mk4 R32 matte white last winter. It took about 2 gallons because the car was black to begin with. It looked pretty good in the beginning, but then it would chip in spots, and that chip would turn into a tear. Then i just ripped it all off except for those hard to reach places or where there was a thin coat, those are still matte white.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec1722 View Post
Plasti-dip looks like primer. Your car looks great already
Yeah i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Someone posted a pic of his orange plastidipped E90. Didn't look good at all; I think the thread was titled "bored" or something like that. Vinyl is a much better option, it just involves a lot more labor.

And plastidip looks so much better in pics than in real life. Pictures don't capture the weird texture/finish that plastidip has. I've seen cars done by "certified" shops and even those have a weird finish. Matte black looks ok, but that's because it's hard to mess up. Anytime they try for a satin or gloss finish, it looks bad. Not quite glossy, not quite satin, looks like rubber which it basically is.
From the pictures i've seen the cars have looked pretty good..I have yet to see a plasti dipped car in real life so i'll take your word for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkn View Post
Wrap > Plasti-dip

Although expensive, will look really clean if installed correctly
Agreed. It would probably cost me around $2k but it would look very nice..I took vinyl wrapping it out of the picture cause i can't justify paying that much because i'm bored. Much rather spend it on a lip and new exhaust

Quote:
I wish I had bought stock in plasti dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Have a clear bra (durable plastic film) put on your entire car and enjoy the benefits of having a relatively swirl free and scratch free car. No more stressing over folks sitting things on the car, leaning on the car, bird droppings, pets jumping onto the car, flying stones, stuff flying out of the lawnmower chute and hitting the car, scrapes from stuff in the garage falling/scraping against the car, etc.

I had my hood, roof and trunk done this past Spring and I'm loving the total bliss I have about stuff scraping the surface of my car. I did it mostly because I lost the battle to try keeping the cats from jumping onto the warm hood of the car. They also just like to sit there because they can see out the windows in the garage from on top of the car.

All the best.
Clear bra is a good idea, I was considering doing that to the front bumper and part of the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
i plastidipped my mk4 R32 matte white last winter. It took about 2 gallons because the car was black to begin with. It looked pretty good in the beginning, but then it would chip in spots, and that chip would turn into a tear. Then i just ripped it all off except for those hard to reach places or where there was a thin coat, those are still matte white.
Yeah i've been reading and its probably gonna give me a headache down the road. From what people are saying, either get it wrapped or forget it. So i'll just forget about it now and buy some other goodies for the car haha

Appreciate 0