F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DPF removal to be MOT failure!
Studio RSR

12-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

DPF removal to be MOT failure!

Just in case anyone was considering doing it:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...il-dpf-removal
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Think this is right to be fair. I have seen far far too many diesels with thick Black smoke pouring out of the back of them.!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Again I personally think this is a good thing. While many lament the cost of replacing a DPF, it is there for a good reason.
What I would like to see though is better education and guidance for people buying cars. One possible way is custom mpg quotes prior to purchase and lifetime routine maintenance quotes. This might make people buy cars against total cost of ownership rather than just headline figures.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

i think given that road tax for most of the new diesels with a DPF are £20-£30 a year, because of how 'green' their emissions are.
if driven average at 10k a year you would recoup the cost of a new DPF before 100k when they come up for replacement.

however, i think manufacturers should be made to include them in the warranty period, as i believe they are classed as 'consumable' items like brake discs and pads!

also some kind of status light or alert should be fitted so you at least know when a regeneration is needed!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethefish View Post
i think given that road tax for most of the new diesels with a DPF are £20-£30 a year, because of how 'green' their emissions are.
if driven average at 10k a year you would recoup the cost of a new DPF before 100k when they come up for replacement.

however, i think manufacturers should be made to include them in the warranty period, as i believe they are classed as 'consumable' items like brake discs and pads!

also some kind of status light or alert should be fitted so you at least know when a regeneration is needed!
I thought a warning does come up if they urgently need to regenerate!?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
jakeb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 320D M Sport

I think DPF implementation is much better now that it was 2007-2010 ish. There were a lot of problems with them not regenerating properly, rubbish sensors, crappy EGR valves leading to shit blocking the filters etc.

My previous car (late 2008 Audi A4 (B8) 170TDI Common Rail) never ran quite right, had loads of sensors / injectors / ECU, but the series previous to that (non-common rail 2.0 TDIs) was an utter disaster. I am pretty sure most of the other manufacturers (inc BMW!) had a lot of problems as well.

The manufacturers will tell you are not driving the car correctly (short runs round town) but there are plenty of examples of motorway cars with problems and this is entirely to shift blame from a badly design system to the owner.

I reckon this has led to 3 years worth (prob a few model exceptions) of diesel cars I wouldn't touch second hand with a barge pole.

Whilst the MOT stuff is very commendable I am not sure there is a huge amount of merit over failing a 2007 car with the DPF removed because it doesn't work properly, when the exact same car with a "56" plate but no DPF will pass...

I guess there need to be rules but I suspect the majority of motorists who are having this done is out of despair rather than wanting to rip up Tescos car park and kill rain forests.........
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
jakeb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethefish View Post

My old A4 was £130/year ish. There was a light to show regen but it never came up for me. What would be handy is a light when it is doing a regen. eg when you are doing 80 (sorry 70) on the motorway and the regen kicks in and you have to mash your foot to the floor to maintain speed.

Apparently a forced regen (in garage) involves a fire extinguisher and heat proof matting to stop the garage floor cracking. Glows red hot
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I thought a warning does come up if they urgently need to regenerate!?
it does, but there were a lot of earlier cars (E90) that when this point was reached the dpf wouldn't regenerate.
plus you didn't know when, or if a regeneration had been achieved. unless that light had illuminated.

with my last diesel car (i now have a petrol)
in order to get a clear run down the motorway at 70...ish
i had to go out late at night when the roads were clear to do a 'burn' for half an hour or more.
once every couple of weeks just to make sure...

my missus used to give me some funny looks.....
when i said "just popping out for an hour love"
......at midnight.....
Appreciate 0