E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transmission fluid change? What weight oil?

10-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
gtmotor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335, 05 Lotus Elise

Transmission fluid change? What weight oil?

I have a bunch of Redline MT-90 here and I was wondering if anyone had done a transmission fluid change on their E90 yet. I have the 6-speed manual.

My car is at 43,000 miles and while BMW says the car can go forever on the OEM fluid I don't tend to trust that.

Transmission feels great; shifts into all gears smoothly without any difficulty. I rev-match or heel-toe to down shift and it's smooth as butter... but I still want to change the fluid.

BMW also says that the air filter is a 60k mile maintenance item. I think that's total BS... especially since I live in the desert. I think they are trying to skimp on routine maintenance since they are offering the 4-year 50k mile thing I just changed it last night and it was really easy. Should have been easier but it wasn't difficult by any means.

Anyway back to the manual tranny fluid. Has anyone changed theirs yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
first off, welcome to the boards, second i recommend doing a search before starting a new thread like this. usually i would post something like:

but i'm feeling nice today, besides i already used this one on someone else this week.

here you go:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80198
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
gtmotor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335, 05 Lotus Elise

I found that thread shortly after I made this post... :-x

It still leaves a few questions unanswered though:

1) Are there other members changing their transmission fluid? Any adverse effects?

2) Most importantly... what is the specification that BMW calls out for the transmission fluid? Weight? GL rating?

The DIY post just says to put "2 quarts of whatever fluid you want to use" into the car. That's like saying you can put 6.5 quarts of any type of oil into the engine...

I'm GUESSING it calls for 75W-90 with the GL-4/5 spec but some cars use much lighter weight transmission fluids (Honda uses 10W-30).

Anyone have any technical documentation? I guess I could call the dealer but they usually aren't much help from a technical standpoint.

*edit* Mr. 5 is using the RP Synchromax which is the recommended oil for vehicles that use automatic transmission fluid or straight motor oil in their transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
answer:

1. i doubt many people have done it, if they have they don't share it here.
2. if you want to be slick, just call the dealer and ask which grade they use or chit chat a little bit with one of the techs, personally if i was that curious, call AA. they are going to have a little bit more insight on it.

hope that helps.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

im thinking abourt doing this on thursday when i change my oil too.
Appreciate 0