F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Power Washers
ARMA SPEED

12-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Power Washers

Does anyone wish to recommend what I should buy based on there experience .

I don't mind what I pay but want some thing decent that won't damage the paint on the car but with enough clout to get the car clean .

Has anyone any experience with Nilfisk or Karcher I have easy access to power and water so have discounted the Petrol / Diesel models .

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I use a Karcher, have had it for about 10 years, think its a 6 Series.

Don't buy anything mega cheap as it won't last. Get one with a long hose, 9 or 10m is ideal so you leave the washer in one place and the hose is long enough to let you work round the car. An inbuilt hose reel is also good to make tidying up easy and its neat once stored away. Spend £300 or so and you will be fine, won't do any damage as they aren't that powerful.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

I have a Kärcher K5 Premium Eco Home and it does the job very well.

I snow foam the car as a pre wash using the Kärcher.
I would agree that a long hose is helpful.

The only drawback with the upright Kärchers is they can fall over if you are not careful.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I have a Hozelock 150, it was half the price of the Karcher and has lasted a good few years now. I think it was as powerful as many of the Karcher ones at the time too (Probably not any more)

I find the 8M hose long enough, I agree leaving the machine in one place is best. The built in soap containers are useful too, as you can change the strength of soap mix on the front of the machine.

Hozelock 150
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I bought a Karcher compact last week, half price from halfords for £69. Perfect power for cleaning without peeling the paint off
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Sponge and a normal hose pipe does the job for me!

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I have the Karcher k5 eco. It has reduced power setting and an adjustable lance. Team it with a PA snowfoam lance for easy cleaning. Never get too close to the paint with the lance and it will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

check the TV shopping channels especially ideal world, they quite often have offers on Karcher
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I should have mentioned I got mine as a special from B&Q. Just keep an eye on the deals. I got it cheaper than any online deal. The other place worth checking is the Karcher site. They sell repackaged stuff, returns etc at discounted prices with warranty and all accessories. Stock varies. It is probably quiet at this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Nilfisk here, have a read on Detailing World and you won't be buying a Karcher.

The basics are the entry level Nilfisks are more reliable and gave better longevity through superior pump construction.

I think I paid about £120 for mine from Screwfix and been very pleased with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
Sponge and a normal hose pipe does the job for me!
Do you really clean your car with a sponge mate?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
335dJa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
?!
So would I normally, having a white car is pretty much the only reason I bought a dedicated power washer. I appreciate some folk love keeping their car immaculate but it doesn't mean someone else is wrong for not.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
I agree...Sponges are the work of the devil!

High potential to cause paintwork damage, should you get just one bit of grit trapped between the sponge and paint. Much better off with a lambswool or some sort of furry microfibre thing.

I use a Karcher and have no issues with it so far. the variable power nozzle is handy, so you don't need to blast it unnecessarilly. The only thing to watch for is leaving water in them if where you store it is likely to drop below freezing. I've heard of a few being damaged this way.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
?!
So would I normally, having a white car is pretty much the only reason I bought a dedicated power washer. I appreciate some folk love keeping their car immaculate but it doesn't mean someone else is wrong for not.
I totally agree mate as everyone pays their money and makes their choices on how to look after things.

For me, a £50k car is the second most expensive thing I will own and I will treat it as such, by having it detailed and washing carefully when I need to wash it myself. It helps keep it looking good and would help with resale value I would imagine.

I once went to meet my friend who had just purchased a new DBS Volante in Black only to find him washing it with a sponge. I could not believe my eyes.

He's loaded tho so probably didn't really care. Me - I'm not loaded so I do.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
335dJa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I totally agree mate as everyone pays their money and makes their choices on how to look after things.

For me, a £50k car is the second most expensive thing I will own and I will treat it as such, by having it detailed and washing carefully when I need to wash it myself. It helps keep it looking good and would help with resale value I would imagine.

I once went to meet my friend who had just purchased a new DBS Volante in Black only to find him washing it with a sponge. I could not believe my eyes.

He's loaded tho so probably didn't really care. Me - I'm not loaded so I do.
£50k is a lot of dollar for me too, if it was real money I doubt I'd have spent it.

I would normally rinse down with a hose first as I totally agree its easy to get grit caught, but I find a dunk in a soapy bucket before each rub-a-dub ensures a clean sponge.
I mainly use a sponge because I hate the "I thought I'd power washed it clean but now it's dry I've missed some bits" situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
£50k is a lot of dollar for me too, if it was real money I doubt I'd have spent it.

I would normally rinse down with a hose first as I totally agree its easy to get grit caught, but I find a dunk in a soapy bucket before each rub-a-dub ensures a clean sponge.
I mainly use a sponge because I hate the "I thought I'd power washed it clean but now it's dry I've missed some bits" situation.
If I could offer you some advice I'd recommend you buy a lambswool wash mitt
which cost about £10 and then look up the 2 bucket method for washing your car.

It would certainly go some way to help minimising scratches
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

K4 Karcher at screwfix £179 looks quite a beast any opinions
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #18
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

So are you guys saying that those commercial hand car washes that use high powered power washers will damage the car? Been using a local near me on my e92 and the paint is still immaculate, so this surprises me.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #19
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
So are you guys saying that those commercial hand car washes that use high powered power washers will damage the car? Been using a local near me on my e92 and the paint is still immaculate, so this surprises me.
If they are just snowfoaming the car and rinsing off with a power washer, you'll likely be fine. The snow foam also provides a bit of lubrication to the car whilst washing.

If however they are using sponges, etc you should find when you personally hand wash the car and polish it, scratches are evident. This is obviously more prominent on darker colours as some lighter shades hide scratches better than others unless under direct sunlight or a sun gun.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #20
DasUberbadger
Private
Rep
Drives: 330D MSport+ EBII

I got a cheap 50 quid Nilfisk C110 off amazon and it's been great. Add a good foam nozzle from cleanyourcar.co.uk and most of the grot just falls off.
Yes, always ALWAYS the two bucket method. And a mitt. And then hosepipe on low to sheet the water off. Then dry with a microfibre towel.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #21
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasUberbadger View Post
I got a cheap 50 quid Nilfisk C110 off amazon and it's been great. Add a good foam nozzle from cleanyourcar.co.uk and most of the grot just falls off.
Yes, always ALWAYS the two bucket method. And a mitt. And then hosepipe on low to sheet the water off. Then dry with a microfibre towel.
Good man!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #22
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
I would say that it is but would depend on on how you look at it, and also the colour of the car. I used to use one but don't anymore as I can see the scratches on our Z4. It is black and that colour is absolute nightmare for showin scratches and swirl marks. Our Space grey and bluewater E90's were great and you would struggle to see them most of the time.

The best place to see them is when at a petrol station at night. Look at the paintwork under the lights there and you will see all sorts of light scratches and swirls. It bothers some people, but for others they couldn't give a toss. The darker the car, the more easily you will notice it.

If you use a sealant or polish after the washing this will help protect it a little and help mask any that you have.
Appreciate 0