F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hartge engine conversion for F31 330D
proTUNING Freaks

11-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
geoffgp
England
Rep
Drives: F31 330D XDrive

Hartge engine conversion for F31 330D

Anyone fitted a Hartge engine conversion for F31 330D?
And would the BMW warranty be invalidated?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E - 11301258.pdf (194.8 KB, 228 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi Geoff

Would you not be better off with the BMW PPK? Standard warranty unaffected.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

^ This.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
geoffgp
England
Rep
Drives: F31 330D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hi Geoff

Would you not be better off with the BMW PPK? Standard warranty unaffected.
Hi Nisfan

Probably, but the Hartge kit seems to produce a bigger gain in bhp - on paper anyway, and I don't need to update the brakes from standard. From all the quotes I've had from BMW for the PPK its also cheaper! And it would be interesting to see how it compared to the PPK in the real world. The warranty if that is an issue is a problem of course!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
mactrack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240iX

M Sport brakes were one of the few options my dealer demo car did not come with so the BMW PPK is quite expensive for me but does leave the warranty intact. What sort of price is the Hartge kit fitted? The figures are impressive.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffgp View Post
Hi Nisfan

Probably, but the Hartge kit seems to produce a bigger gain in bhp - on paper anyway, and I don't need to update the brakes from standard. From all the quotes I've had from BMW for the PPK its also cheaper! And it would be interesting to see how it compared to the PPK in the real world. The warranty if that is an issue is a problem of course!
If you do decide to go down Hartge route, I'd give Kevin Bird a call. I think once you have talked to him, your worries about warranty should be resolved. I was hugely impressed and the recent DTUK thread and reaction from the chap that runs it when NISFAN even mentioned warranties shows that you get what you pay for. Yes, the Hartge is expensive but I can sleep easy knowing it's a good conversion. I was on the fence but I've decided that once I've sold the Lotus, I'll be getting the car Hartge'd. Yes it's £2.5k but would rather that than £500 and screw up my car.

However, with the 330d I'd have thought it bonkers to NOT go for the PPK as more than likely your insurance won't change as it's a BMW upgrade, you'll keep your warranty and lastly it can only enhance your secondhand value whereas tuning your car could be look upon by some as detrimental. You also have to consider that BMW do more than software tuning - you get a larger intercooler for a start (NISFAN I am sure can explain the other bits).

If BMW did a PPK for the 335d, absolutely no question I'd have that instead.

I'd take all bhp claims with a dose of salt. Whilst my car is achingly close to what BMW claim, NISFAN's car was way higher before even putting the PPK on. His car is now pretty close in output to mine which is impressive (we put our cars on same rolling road). But other engines may not make as much. No one tuner can claim the same figures across the board.

The other thing is headline figures aren't the whole story as we found in the dyno - it's how the car delivers the torque. The PPK is impressive (certainly going on NISFAN's figures).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Sorry I know I'm F32 but when is the PPK kits arriving for my 430d surely the same engine ? Local dealer is pretty clueless.

FWIW I made sure I ordered the car with M-sport brake upgrade and M-sport adaptive suspension .

I also ordered the Performance grills on the 11th Nov and am still waiting as they are Back order on Germany .
Appreciate 0