F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 (including my 335xd) gripes and niggles
Studio RSR

11-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

F30 (including my 335xd) gripes and niggles

So I apologise to those still waiting for their cars but I have to air some of my irritations....

Squealing MSport brakes - a trip to the dealer for sure, my brakes have started making a hideous noise which is a pet hate of mine!

Full black panel - it's just not utilised enough, I want to see the time and remaining miles on the current fuel at all times. It irritates me that you can't have the clock on when the nav directions are displayed yet there is a ton of unused space.

Gearbox - I can't believe I'm going to complain about the gearbox....
In sport/manual mode there is no way to go back to sport:auto without flicking the lever right and left again. In my jag I could just hold the up shift paddle for a few seconds. In manual/comfort the 'box defaults back to auto too quickly, I've noticed on occasion it does this mid corner which is shite.

No central control of climate - others he mentioned this and I thought the comments where slightly petty, it does however work in an odd manner.

Crashing idrive - seriously? Having upgraded to IOS7 I have enough software issues, I don't need more.

Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning.

Last edited by MarkG_M5Comp; 11-29-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+

No car is perfect, if it was we would all be driving one!

Nah, my car isn't hear yet but from what I've read the area under the speed is black and isn't used for any info. This seems a waste to me as the area under the rev counter is so well used.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Hah, you know what - you're not alone in some respects!

Squealing brakes - mine are absolutely fine so dealer action needed.

Full black panel - completely agree with you, especially if you've got HUD because it sits there pretty much dormant.

Gearbox - I'm used to our old Rangie and current Disco where you can hold right paddle to go back to Auto. Completely with you - having to shift lever back and forth is a pain. I know in Drive it will eventually go back to Auto but would rather decide for myself.

I don't mind the climate to be honest - all I would like is separate top level temp adjustment but then I was a little spoilt with the 7 series.

So far iDrive has been fine.

I can add to your list if you'd like - storage space being my biggest grip - there is absolutely nowhere to put anything!!!

For me, suspension is not well tuned and I just don't like the straight ahead vagueness of the electric steering but hey ho, I do still like the car

Hope you get brakes and iDrive sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
So I apologise to those still waiting for their cars but I have to air some of my irritations....

Squealing MSport brakes - a trip to the dealer for sure, my brakes have started making a hideous noise which is a pet hate of mine!

Full black panel - it's just not utilised enough, I want to see the time and remaining miles on the current fuel at all times. It irritates me that you can't have the clock on when the nav directions are displayed yet there is a ton of unused space.

In sport/manual mode there is no way to go back to sport:auto without flicking the lever right and left again. In my jag I could just hold the up shift paddle for a few seconds. In manual/comfort the 'box defaults back to auto too quickly, I've noticed on occasion it does this mid corner which is shite.

No central control of climate - others he mentioned this and I thought the comments where slightly petty, it does however work in an odd manner.

Crashing idrive - seriously? Having upgraded to IOS7 I have enough software issues, I don't need more.

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Quote:
top level temp adjustment
Do you mean so you can operate both sides at the same time? as in change the temp for both at once?

It seams BMW has taken out all the improvements made in the E90 facelift, so they can simple add them back in when they do the F30 facelift which really pisses me off, especially considering most of there customers will be moving from an E90 facelift to a new F30.

Do you reckon they finished the car and then spent months taking out features (LED lights for one) so they have something to add when it comes to the facelift. IMO the base car should compete with a high end mondeo which it does not.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I think this thread should be renamed "F30 gripes and niggles" and your problems are not really related to the 335d but more related to features and options of the F30/F31!!!

But, I hope you get those couple of issues sorted soon.

The only thing I'd change is the steering as Guy said above. Seems a little "disconnected" to the road and artificial. But its only a very minor gripe.

Oh, and the adaptive should have more difference between Comfort and Sport (well, on my xdrive anyway). Seems only a very slight difference in suspension between these two modes although throttle and steering is fine between the two modes.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Could well be... cars have come a long way, which leads us to being so picky these days.

I go back to the days when we didn't have heaters, definitely no radio and often wondered if we'd get to our destination, without a couple of times with the bonnet up to adjust the points, clean the carb out, or stop to prevent over-heating.

I try and keep the niggles in perspective.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
Some hard braking / track driving used to clear my squealing brakes.

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

@MarkG335:
Please change the thread name to F30 niggles so I can post mine.
I really don't want to start yet another new thread!
Thanks in anticipation.
      11-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
@MarkG335:
Please change the thread name to F30 niggles so I can post my mine.
I really don't want to start a new thread!
Thanks in anticipation.
We don't mind you being an 'honorary member' if you'd like
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
I can add to your list if you'd like - storage space being my biggest grip - there is absolutely nowhere to put anything!!!
This seriously annoys me. There is almost zero usable storage in range of the driver. Whenever I give it some whelly, I get keys, phones, wallet, sunglasses propelling themselves round the cabin. Really poor in 2013.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Xdrive

I am pretty much happy with most things or at least I knew what I was getting from test drives etc.

The main 'unknown' thing that annoys me is using a child seat in the rear.....the latch (what is the proper name for the thing you clip the seatbelt in??????) just pushes down and makes the job really awkward. Never had this in a car before!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We don't mind you being an 'honorary member' if you'd like
Ok sah, I'll take up your kind offer.

Here's mine:
It's my Coral Red hippo hide.
Part of the covering on the passenger front seat base has less of the dimple effect which looks like wear. However this seat has only been used 3-4 times!
Now I've tried to take pictures but I can't get it to show very clearly on the photo. Notice the bald patch on the left. It looks worse in reality.
Anyway, here they are:

11-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
ll71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320D xDrive M Sport

Weightwatchers? lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll71 View Post
Weightwatchers? lol
No one over 10 stone has sat on that seat. It's only been used about 4 times!!
Bloody hippo hide.
Do you think I can have it fixed under warranty after one year?
I very much doubt my luck, but I will have a go.
      11-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:

I have the same issue, constant squeaks, cars is less than 4 weeks old!! Squeaks even more in reverse!

This was the same issue on pre-lci e9x series, facelift fixed this problem, and here BMW is done it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
This seriously annoys me. There is almost zero usable storage in range of the driver. Whenever I give it some whelly, I get keys, phones, wallet, sunglasses propelling themselves round the cabin. Really poor in 2013.
I pull out the thigh support on the seat and put my keys/phone in the groove that is revealed.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I pull out the thigh support on the seat and put my keys/phone in the groove that is revealed.
Hey Steve, I do this too But pretty poor to have to resort to that type of storage.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I have seen that before on leather seats. I think it's from scarring when the hippo had a tattoo lasered off. Sorry couldnt resist in reality it is the side effect of having a natural product. If it was manmade it would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
@MarkG335:
Please change the thread name to F30 niggles so I can post mine.
I really don't want to start yet another new thread!
Thanks in anticipation.
Very, VERY good point... actioned.

I know we're all one big family anyway
      11-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So far iDrive has been fine.
I seem to stress the iDrive a lot - iPhone and Blackberry connected all the time, streaming music from Spotify, using Siri (thanks to your tip just before my car arrived!). To be fair it's crashed when using Siri a lot but also when I switched to FM radio which I couldn't believe (I'm normally on DAB only).

Quote:
Lot's of people say this, actually not one of my irritations. I cam from an E92 and thought I'd miss the flip out door pockets. These F30s have massive door pockets!

Mind you, I did purposely leave the driver aids off the options list as I couldn't live without that cubby hole - it's where my keys and work pass go!

Quote:
For me, suspension is not well tuned and I just don't like the straight ahead vagueness of the electric steering but hey ho, I do still like the car
Suspension: agreed, could be much better.
Steering: I actually quite like it, so long as you keep only a loose hold on the wheel in the straight position I tend to find it's OK.
      11-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Could well be... cars have come a long way, which leads us to being so picky these days.

I go back to the days when we didn't have heaters, definitely no radio and often wondered if we'd get to our destination, without a couple of times with the bonnet up to adjust the points, clean the carb out, or stop to prevent over-heating.

I try and keep the niggles in perspective.

HighlandPete
You are spot on of course, I had all of these things with my first car - a 1969 VW Beetle...

...mind you that cost me £150, not £50K!!!!
      11-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Some hard braking / track driving used to clear my squealing brakes.
Good call, I actually thought this may have brought it on and I tend to drive, erm, 'progressively'...

...however I have just come down the M3 and given the car some major hard braking and the squealing is gone!!! Not sure if it's a permanent fix but you've made my weekend a whole lot more peaceful and happy. Many many thanks...